Am I Wrong?

Dr Gil

When myself and the rest of the clan went to orlando last year we asked for gps in our hire van and it was a godsend in a foriegn country especially when our son cracked a bone in his arm using his just bought heelys :homer: no problem finding hospital, doctors or universal studios :grin: . since then my wife bought me a tt rider, fitted it to the bike but if you know where you are going its just a big distraction, i have nearly ran into a couple of cars looking at the bloody screen on the way home :whistle: now its just switched on when i need it.

gary

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised I'm the only Luddite here :angry:

If I can't find my own way, I didn't need to go there no how :P

I don't need my hand held by some beepin' gizmo :D

I bet y'all wear those man purse things too...don't get me started on those little suitcase mounted on trolley wheels :angry:

buncha girl's blouses

;)

I'm surprised I'm the only Luddite here :angry:

If I can't find my own way, I didn't need to go there no how :P

I don't need my hand held by some beepin' gizmo :D

I bet y'all wear those man purse things too...don't get me started on those little suitcase mounted on trolley wheels :angry:

buncha girl's blouses

;)

or I try again a couple of years later

Where's that confounded bridge? The last time I was in Tuscany, I spent a few hours trying to find this bridge. It was right here the whole time! The Ponte di Maddalena near the town of Lucca. It was built over 700 years ago. It was one of the few bridges not blown up by the Germans during World War II because they didn't think the Allies could get Sherman tanks across it.

Picture018-2.jpg

Picture019-2.jpg

"You don't have to say anything unless you wish to do so, but anything you do say may be used against you"

police.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Last week my youngest son was in Great Ormond Street Hospital for an operation. We normally go down on the train - 30 minutes fast train with either one or no stops, then 20 minute walk at far end. Our expected one night stay very rapidly went to a minimum of two and likely to be three. Then we had quandaries of the suitability of bringing him back home on the train without throwing in Sunday service in to the equation.

I had stayed the first night with him and was going to do the third, so it would be down to my wife to drive down to collect us. She wasn't looking forward to doing this so suggested Sat Nav - had experienced in a hire car and was quite taken.

So before heading back to swap back over I picked up a TomTom, I didn't go for the rider as couldn't get the car mount with the speaker in, and I don't think she'd have been impressed with having to wear the ear piece :D I thought I could always place it in the map case top of my tank bag, and double wrap it in a plastic bag if was wet.

So took it for it's first go on the bike yesterday. The only problem I had was it kept sliding about and rotating around through 90 degrees, despite using a bungee cord across the top of the bag to try and limit its movement. But other than that was useful. In the bag it's out of site and not a distraction unless you want to look at it. So next time I'll use some elastic bands and chop sticks* to make a frame to locate it within the map pocket. If that works I'll then rig it for power.

It's either than or splash out for a waterproof one.

My double tank bag would seem to obstruct most mounting positions. definitely Dr Gills. Kilosojn's off the mirror mounts could be viable. I don't think the far side of the clocks on the fairing would be viable.

So I'm firmly a Sat Nav fan now

*Now have a cardboard prototype

Martin, i saw a gps system stuck inside a tankbag map pocket with velcro strips, seemed to work quite well.

Gary

We were think of using Velcro to mount it on the central console in the cars, that would transfer across to the tank bag also - but in the mean time I have

IMG_0463.jpg

Just this afternoon I returned from a 9 day trip from my home in the Northern California redwoods down into Baja (I'll post a ride report with lots of pictures soon). It was my first trip using the Garmin 2610. It saved me from many missteps...but in a fairness it also confused me at times. This was in part because I don't fully understand all of its subtleties yet. :wacko:

I used the RAM mounts suggested for my Le Mans by the fine folks at Express Mounts. They worked wonderfully.

The problem I see with mounting the unit in the tank bag would be visibility. Often turn warnings happen in fast sequence, especially in urban areas. My Garmin is mounted just beneath my gauges. The easier your GPS is to see the more often you will look at it and the fewer cues you will miss.

I have a couple of questions.... What the Hell is a GPS? Here in Kansas we can see border to border. :P

Ok I wasn't serious about the GPS. But Kansas is Flatter than a pancake. Look it up... Its true...

Serious Question.... Where do I get a set of those Red Anodized Brake and Clutch resivoir caps.....?????

Richard Z.

But Kansas is Flatter than a pancake.

Holland is flatter than a pancake that's been under a steamroller driven by ... (insert famous fat person here)pissing contest> :D

Serious Question.... Where do I get a set of those Red Anodized Brake and Clutch resivoir caps.....?????

@ Rossopuro: click banner in forum header

I have a couple of questions.... What the Hell is a GPS? Here in Kansas we can see border to border. :P

Ok I wasn't serious about the GPS. But Kansas is Flatter than a pancake. Look it up... Its true...

Richard Z.

but are you above sea level.... :huh2: or in the pan? :blush:

Holland is flatter than a pancake that's been under a steamroller driven by ... (insert famous fat person here)pissing contest> :D

@ Rossopuro: click banner in forum header

You wizzing on my pancake.

You asked for it..... All in good fun... :P

An American geography professor has shown the landscape of the state of Kansas is "as flat as a pancake."

In fact, geography Prof. Mark Fonstad of Southwest Texas University concluded the topography of the wheat state is flatter than a pancake.

Using simple instruments, topography data from the U.S. Geological Survey's Web site and microscopes, Fonstad and his colleagues compared the state's terrain to a pancake from a restaurant.

Under the microscope, a pancake looks like the Grand CanyonCourtesy: CBC Saskatchewan Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser 2000

A pancake may look flat to a human examining it from above, but the problem is one of scale.

"For an ant walking on a pancake, it would look like the Grand Canyon," Fonstad told CBC Radio's As It Happens.

To determine the flatness of a pancake, the researchers cut it in half, took a picture of its outline, and scanned the image into a computer.

Thanks for the Rossopuro tip.....

Richard Z.