cafe vs. lemans

savagehenry

Hello, new to the list, don't have a MG yet. After being bit by the green redframe years ago, I have done a little research here and elsewhere. I think I will go for a post '03, either the cafe sport or a nero corsa. The only fairing I have ever been behind for any length of time is on my current ride, a 1978 BMW R100S. Anyone with experience on an airhead, and comparisons or opinions as to ergo's and ride/character of the two models? I'm 5' 10", 180 lbs. I'm wondering just how effective the Lemans fairing is, and if that bikini fairing is of any benefit, or annoyance. The beemer is the newest bike I've owned over about 20 years, and I haven't sat on either v11, but I FEEL one will be for me. Yes, this will be a personal choice in the end, but I figure this would be the best forum to hear specifically about these these bikes, and it snowed like Heck out there today, so I figured I get the debate started. Any and all comments are welcomed,thanks to all in advance, Savagehenry

I have a sport naked, and I sometimes tie my leather jacket on top of the headlight on those hot day cool night times of the year. That alone makes a noticible difference to the amount of air hitting your chest. I imagine a bikini fairing would do the same. Not much difference to the helmet area, but I like to feel the wind in my face when I'm riding. Joe

PS Welcome!

Greetings!

Last February I was faced with the same decision- I ended up purchasing a Cafe Sport after what turned out to be the second-to-last new Nero Corsa got sold out from under me the day before i was supposed to pick it up.

In the ensuing period of ownership, I have had the bike in 3 configurations, completely stock (with the fairing mounted to the stalk that comes off of the frame neck), with a Magni fairing on it, and lastly with no fairing at all, after the bracket for the Magni fairing broke.

I did notice that the ride quality (for me) improved substantially after the full size fairing went on. Granted, this also involved moving to much lower clip ons for the controls, and it was with these controls that I rode the bike without a windscreen at all (while the repairs are being made to the Magni bracket) and this I liked more than stock. However...

My plan from the outset (even before I came across the Magni kit for a really good price) was to remove the large cast stalk that is the headlight mount on the Cafe Sport and use the V11 Sport mounts instead. This involves removing the entire cluster, and obtaining the proper mounts and new dash panel to mount it such that it swings with the bars. Once this is done, one can then use the Sport headlight mounts, and re-mount the bikini fairing such as it was on the Scura (where the gauges, headlight, and fairing turn), which (as I am told) makes things much better.

When I bought the bike there were a large number of constraints I had to deal with (being active military) which forced me to deal locally: I couldn't travel to pick up a bike, nor could I have a bike shipped to me where I was due to regulations... The local dealers wanted almost as much for a used bike as I could get a new one for, and there were simply no Lemans models to be had, especially since I wanted the Ohlins suspension that only comes on the Cafe, Coppa, and the Rosso and Nero Corsas. After all was said and done I purchased a new Cafe Sport, and admittedly the idea that I was about to take apart a brand new bike that I just spent a good bit of cash on wasn't the best feeling in the world. At this point, I'm still working on tweaking everything to get it exactly how I want it... but something tells me that had that Nero Corsa deal worked the way it should have, I'd be riding a completely stock bike (minus the Hepco Becker cases) without complaints. I continue on with tweaking the Cafe Sport at this point because.. well, This is my Guzzi- there are many like it but this one is mine... I figure at this point if I'm not going to go all the way, then why go in the first place. Besides, my Cafe Sport and I have already done thousands of happy miles, and I'm looking forward to thousands more.

As an afterthought, and I suppose it's just psychological, but whenever I was riding my bike in stock form I always expected at least the gauges (if not the headlight and fairing as well) to turn with the bars.. all of the other bikes I've owned have had that setup. I also did not like the design where the ignition switch is on the stock Cafe Sport, as it creates a pinch point between the instrument cluster and the top clamp. Normally it's fine, but if a key or something were to fall in there (and behind the piece of wire there for the purpose of preventing this) and the bars needed to turn for some reason it could be rather scary. The setup on the Lemans and Sport prevents this completely (and in my opinion looks much nicer than the wire)

Either way, welcome to the board and best of luck with your search- I hope you will enjoy the world of Guzzi as I have.

PS... I just so happen to be at home today (in the north Chicago suburbs) - we got about 6". Happy April :huh2:

Guest NotRight

Hi-

I have a Cafe Sport too. I'll only tell you that I have 30" inseam and am 5'8". And I'm a fat 200 lbs. Well, I found that the riding position was pretty good. But, the stock bikini fairing was not so great. I found that on the highway I got a Lot of annoying buffeting on my mid 90s brick of an AGV helmet. But, on a backroad at the same speed, I did not! So I started paying attention and I think the "dirty" air on the Interstate from turbulence of vehicles going here and there was a factor. The bikini fairing lip would resonate at about the same frequency as the buffeting. I wondered if the plexi glass shield was stiff enough. The bikini fairing on the sport is frame mounted so the vibrations didn't effect the steering thankfully.

I took it off because I :whistle: .....had an issue with running wide one time on an Iowa shoulder in 100 F heat. Lets just say it got rashed and cracked.

I would like to replace it with something. I almost bought an old Laverda fairing on ebay but couldn't do the $$$ and not sure it would fit. Because as stated above the frame mounted headlight causes it to be more forward than the Lemans.

I get the jist that the cafe sports handlebars might have an issue with almost any non stock fairing. Bummer.

Anyhow, I love mine!!!!! This year I hope to put a lot of miles on it. I only managed 3000 the first summer I owned it which was last year.

Strangely, nothing has fallen off or exploded or participated in an unplanned dynamic disassembly at speed or caused a paused moment of reflection on if I made a good choice or not. :rolleyes:

Just to give you an idea where I'm coming from as I give you my opinion. I play no favourites, I look at no bike through rose colored glasses, and I do not wear blinders. I own 3 airhead BMW's, 2 Norton Commandos, 2 CBX's, RC30, 400/4 SS, Laverda Jota, Kawasaki H2 750, Etc, Etc, Etc. The V11 Sport I bought new offers a physical feedback that an airhead Beemer cannot reproduce. A Moto Guzzi does not make any sense to own mind you, the way an R100RS does, but while the big head tells you the Beemer is the bike, the little head [if you know what I mean] says the Guzzi is the cat's whiskers.

This is the straight goods.

A V11 Sport and a Lemans are surprisingly different bikes. I prefer the road manners generally, of the Lemans. More stable at speed mainly. Eye appeal is a very strong consideration in the purchase of a motorcycle. A bike should make you look back one last time as you close the garage door. The V11 Sport has this is spades over the Lemans. The Sport is the bike that spawned the entire series. It's is what it's all about, the stright goods!

Ciao, Steve

I have a Coppa Italia (basically a tri-colore Cafe Sport) with the bikini fairing. It provides a bit of protection, but not a lot -- not really an annoyance factor, other than some recent buzzing that I have been unable to solve.

I am in the process of purchasing a LeMans fairing both for the added wind/weather protection that I want and to give the bike the "look" that I want.

The other big difference is having actual bars vs. clip-ons. Sport has bars, LeMans has clip-ons... you be the judge of what your body can handle. I like the bars for the up-right seating position and less pressure on my wrists.

:helmet:

The fairing on the Lemans is really good in my estimation. You can go all day at 80 mph and your comfortable. If things should get really turbulant or you want a break from wind altogether, you can simply rest down on your legs with your forearms and get down under the fairing and become one with the bike. It's all overtop of you now and it's really sweet. Now pop it up to the dollar mark and watch the crowd disappear behind you. It's good in pouring rain under there as well. I have a bikini on my little Breva and it's adequate up to 60-65mph, then hang on.

...Eye appeal is a very strong consideration in the purchase of a motorcycle. A bike should make you look back one last time as you close the garage door. The V11 Sport has this is spades over the Lemans. The Sport is the bike that spawned the entire series. It's is what it's all about, the stright goods!

Ciao, Steve

No argument there, but he's talking about the later v11 Cafe Sport, not the 1100 Spot or Sporti. A LeMans, any LeMans, looks better than a Cafe Sport. Except for the Coppa; dang I :wub: that paint scheme! But I heartily concur: even today, a decade down the pike, nothing else looks as good as a Daytona RS or 1100 Sporti, saving mebbe an MGS-01...

:thumbsup:

You don`t have to settle for clip-ons with the LeMans fairing. Convertibars provide a more upright position and allows you to retain the fairing. I took the fairing off mine and tried an Emgo Viper which looked nice but was useless. Went from that to an old Shoei FM-2 which works nicely but after seeing a LeMans with the convertibars and comparing riding position that`s the route I`m taking and I`ll be putting the fairing back on. Nice air pocket,good rain protection and can`t beat it for looks (in my opinion). Good luck with whatever you choose. Your gonna love it. :mg:

I might be able to help since I'm exactly the same dimensions you described, and have an '03 LeMans. I found stock ergos fine for about 1 hour before my neck and wrists started complaining (I was also pushing 40 when I bought it). I had Detroit Eurocycle install MPH bar risers, and the difference was night and day. Now I could probably go all day on it :race: I would recommend riding one first, but definitely keep in mind that ergo options are out there. It's a GREAT bike! :wub:

Has anyone mounted tubular bars on a LeMans while retaining the stock fairing?

If the stock fairing is removed are you likely to find contact/rub marks on the gas tank?

The LM fairing doesn't touch the gas tank so there won't be rub marks. Tubular bars with the right bend should work since all of the various riser kits out there seem to clear the fairing.

Has anyone mounted tubular bars on a LeMans while retaining the stock fairing?

If the stock fairing is removed are you likely to find contact/rub marks on the gas tank?

It can be done...

56233287-M.jpg

I had an R90S for a bit. Now I have a Sport (red frame). Sorry, but the bikes are worlds apart. The R100 you have is more comfortable for long legs- I felt a bit cramped on my Sport until I modified the ergos. It's still just a touch on the short side, but now it's acceptable. The clip-ons also killed my wrists. I put low rise bars on the Sport to mimic the R90S ergos and while I am more comfortable, it also decreased teh weight on the front end so steering got a bit lighter. Not in a bad way, but I could feel it. The wind protection on the R100 is also better (I'm assuming you have the R fairing). I put an R90S fairing on my Sport and it works pretty well. Can't speak for the bikini fairings.

The Sport has power, cool factor, handling and class way over the R bikes. I dearly enjoyed the R90S, but the Sport has better draw. I'll admit, I'm biased. I've been riding Guzzi's for 20 years and I only rode the bimmer for about 5.