Clutch pressure release plug

Guest vagene

Guest vagene

So I pulled over to the side of the road on a trip Saturday and noticed the rubber plug on the right side of the engine was kinda caved in, went to straigthen it and it fell in the hole. Called the dealer he told me what it was for and I told him I could not get the stupid thing out from the bottom of the hole. He said it would just grind up the rubber and not cause any damage. Well he was right it ground it up, I ordered a new plug and found something to cover the hole temporarily. Anybody got an opinion on whether it's worth the expense of the teardown to get it cleaned up etc... or should I just put e new plug in and forget about it. Dumb in VA!

This wouldn't be the first time I'm sure. The plug probably bounced around until it was thoroughly pulverized by the flywheel gear and it will eventually work its wayl out of the bottom vent on it's own. If you want to hurry the process along, you can spray electric parts cleaner into the plug hole to carry the small bits out, but there is no reason to do so unless the thought of powdered rubber in the flywheel area bothers you.

Guest vagene

Al and Carl thanks for you replies. So the offcial name is the Flywheel Inspection Plug? I could not find it in the book. Anyway, I am breathing a sigh of relief, sounds like a teardown isn't required, I've put about 250 miles getting home with it like it is, my temporary plug did not stay in place. I do not see the drain hole you mentioned it looks like it is a sealed unit, which is in line with the plug being there to relieve pressure if it builds up, before I spray the electrical cleaner in there can you tell me where the drain plug is? I would think that starting the Bike, so that the nylon wheel is spinning, would be the right thing to do - does that sound right?

Guest Le Man

Hey vagene!

In the order of things to worry about in this world this is the least of it.

Everything in there is big, hardened steel and moving very fast with sharp edges.

You could put a dead cat in there still wearing it's collar and tag and just keep on riding.

Mike

Personally, I wouldn't make the effort to get the stuff out. There is a very small rectangular hole at the bottom of the bell housing. Eventually, the rubber powder will work its way out this hole.

Al and Carl thanks for you replies. So the offcial name is the Flywheel Inspection Plug? I could not find it in the book. Anyway, I am breathing a sigh of relief, sounds like a teardown isn't required, I've put about 250 miles getting home with it like it is, my temporary plug did not stay in place. I do not see the drain hole you mentioned it looks like it is a sealed unit, which is in line with the plug being there to relieve pressure if it builds up, before I spray the electrical cleaner in there can you tell me where the drain plug is? I would think that starting the Bike, so that the nylon wheel is spinning, would be the right thing to do - does that sound right?

If we are talking about the same thing, then yes I've always called the plastic plug the "flywheel inspection plug". There are two of them, one on each side of the front of the transmission, where the engine and tranny meet up. If you remove the plug(or in your case, it sounds like it got pushed in).... you will see the *steel* flywheel and ring/edge gears for the starter. This observation hole is most often used to check for the TDC marks on the flywheel when adjusting the valves.

You mention a "nylon wheel" ?? I'm not sure I know what you are referring to there. Can you elaborate?

The photo below points to the plug Carl and I are talking about... is this what you are referring to?

plug.jpg

You could put a dead cat in there still wearing it's collar and tag and just keep on riding.

Come to think of it I haven't seen Tiddles in a while...?

Gio

Awright, now! This cat business has gone a bit too far! Stuffing a cat in your bell housing?

I happen to like the little felines just fine. Especially the way they do 'em in that little place up the street with the Sechuan chili sauce. :food:

hmmm . . . tastes like chicken . . .er, I mean, goose . . . :mg:

Guest Jeff Kelland

Not to be disagreeable but I have in my 28 years of experience seen many things that have tried to occupy the same space as the flywheel and clutch. Never very pretty but in the case of the inspection plug not likely damaging either.It is quite unlikely that it will all work its way out of the drain hole however as much of it will have been heated due to the friction of the ring gear as it tore the poor little plug apart. Centrifical force will then have sent much of the heated remains of the plug flying outward whereupon they will have forceably glued themselves to the inside of the clutch housing where in all likelyhood they will remain harmlessly until some mechanic goes to replace the clutch and wonder, " what the hell happened here?" :homer: It may have a good effect as well by serving as a sound shield quieting the rattle of the dry clutch. :D

I dunno. While the silly plug bounces around in there it's going to get pretty shredded. Unsure as to whether it will get the opportunity to melt whilst being chipped away though. I don't think that it could actually get into the clutch plates but imagine the smell as the clutch engaged on a bunch of little pieces of rubber! Just to put some perspective to this, I learned to drive in Vientiane, Laos back in the sixties in a Rambler which a water buffalo hide clutch. You had to pretty good at getting going to do it without slipping the clutch excessively as the smell would pretty much make you want to be somewhere else. Fortunately, with most of the floorboards rusted out, ventilation was never much of a problem.

Guest vagene

Al, your photo is perfect - that is the plug. I looked this morning, kinda dark outside still but I did not see any cats in the hole. Seriously though thanks for all the advice and that is one less thing to worry about. Right now I'm getting my seat done by Rich Maund and adding new Verlicchi Clip-Ons. Meanwhile my Victory is in the shop for a new upgraded transmission so I am glad I do not have to take the Lemans to the dealer for a teardown. Today is Ride to Work Day, so I borrowed a seat from my riding buddy, he has the same Lemans as I do, who is on vacation in the NL.

Well, you will know about it if it gets in the clutch. But since everything is spinning, all the force is outward, so I don't see how any rubber could get in there. And don't worry too much about covering the inspection port at all times. Just get a new plug and put it (halfway) in.

Jason