Bike won't start !

Jock Guzzi

Need some help guys.

Was on the bike last weekend, all was well. Went to run a few errands on Saturday, ignition on ok, lights etc all on but no whirly noise from the fuel pump and nothing when pressing the starter button. Checked fuses, all ok, am using Dan's relays so don't think it is a relay problem. Thought it might be a battery issue, as I had to put it on the optimate a few weeks ago to top it up after a winter of no use, but after doing this it was fine last weekend. Anyway stuck it on the optimate for a further 7 hours or so but still nothing from the fuel pump.

Any ideas ? I'm due to head up to the Highland fling next weekend, so I need to get it sorted or I'll miss out on the fun.

Cheers in anticipation.

Need some help guys.

Was on the bike last weekend, all was well. Went to run a few errands on Saturday, ignition on ok, lights etc all on but no whirly noise from the fuel pump and nothing when pressing the starter button. Checked fuses, all ok, am using Dan's relays so don't think it is a relay problem. Thought it might be a battery issue, as I had to put it on the optimate a few weeks ago to top it up after a winter of no use, but after doing this it was fine last weekend. Anyway stuck it on the optimate for a further 7 hours or so but still nothing from the fuel pump.

Any ideas ? I'm due to head up to the Highland fling next weekend, so I need to get it sorted or I'll miss out on the fun.

Cheers in anticipation.

I have had several of these problems on my bike.

The ECU (rear most) relay problem will usually not allow the fuel pump to pressure up. If the pump is pressuring up this is not the relay. Could still be a relay problem because sometimes they don't stop working completely.

Check the clutch bullet connectors as someone mentioned. I don't think this is it.

Does putting the kickstand up, and or in neutral have any effect. Is the neutral light on or intermitent. This can be a clue as to a neutral switch issue.

Good luck

Hmmm - on my 01 the pump activates with the ign switch regardless of clutch in/out. That would eliminate the clutch switch connectors (bullets under the Lside of tank) as a cause. As said already, try cycling the kill switch a couple times. That was the issue with mine when it acted this way.

If fuses and relays are good, I'd suspect a bad connection/broken wire.

Rj

generally what I like to do is take some sage and smudge around the offending motorcycle,then say a few words of wisdiom in a native tongue(this is entirely up to area and ethnical diverse area) get on my knees and face east as clenching a chicken in my teeth and then lighting some candles as I smear olive oil all over my naked body.As I chant to the ancient ones,I try to start the sacraficial goose as I drop the axe on the goat.

Basic Italian electronics.It may not be the relays themselves but the holder they mate into.Check for good connections.I had trouble for a long time until it finally hit me that I needed to check the female adapters to the relays.Sure enough,bad connection.Runs every time now after a simple fix.

Guest deesulprizio

My elusive starting problem was finally traced to a ground wire connected to a painted part of the crankcase.

generally what I like to do is take some sage and smudge around the offending motorcycle,then say a few words of wisdiom in a native tongue(this is entirely up to area and ethnical diverse area) get on my knees and face east as clenching a chicken in my teeth and then lighting some candles as I smear olive oil all over my naked body.As I chant to the ancient ones,I try to start the sacraficial goose as I drop the axe on the goat.

Basic Italian electronics.It may not be the relays themselves but the holder they mate into.Check for good connections.I had trouble for a long time until it finally hit me that I needed to check the female adapters to the relays.Sure enough,bad connection.Runs every time now after a simple fix.

:stupid:

at least the part about having trouble with females, bad connections, etc. Maybe I need more olive oil :huh2:

Jock, just had similar problem as you described...my neutral light was also out. Taking the wire from the neutral switch caused everything to work again, so I replaced the neutral switch. Recommend you look there given your indications. k

Had the same problem with my v11,went through pretty much that is mentioned above.Bought a new solenoid but still no joy.Finally a friend stripped the starter motor to find that a spring(I'm no mechanic)inside had rusted up on one side which he could only put down to the bike being jet washed by the dealer left on the side stand and corrosion done the rest.Once this was freed had no worries whatsoever.Hope this helps!

Thanks for all your feedback.

I've now got the bike going, it will only start with the sidestand up. As my neutral light is not working / coming on, I'm guessing from what has been said that this interferes with the sidestand engine kill mechanism. All far to complicated for someone as mechanically "blind" as me but I get the jist of it.

Please feel free to explain how it all works, but remember to keep it simple otherwise you'll loose me.

Looks like Stormsedge wins the diagnostic test.

Thanks once again.

With the sidestand up power flows to the 'run switch' directly. When the stand is down, power only makes it to the run switch through the middle relay ( called the 'sidestand relay') which is activated by the neutral switch.

Not only are the neutral switches ( just behind the starter) prone to sticking ( Redline gearlube seems to help), but the connection is dubious. Pull off its little rubber boot, give it a clean and crimp and see if life gets better.

Some of the things they do naked in North Carolina shouldn't be attempted in the old country lest ye end up in North Carolina before the dust settles . . .