front brake microswitch

motogruvi

tried using the FAQ but was unsuccessful...

my local moto guzzi dealer is no longer ordering guzzi parts for their customers which temporarily puts me in a bit of a bind.

i am in need of a microswitch to activate the lights for my front brake...was wondering if anybody has a good source (internet or otherwise).

thanks for any suggestions.

tried using the FAQ but was unsuccessful...

my local moto guzzi dealer is no longer ordering guzzi parts for their customers which temporarily puts me in a bit of a bind.

i am in need of a microswitch to activate the lights for my front brake...was wondering if anybody has a good source (internet or otherwise).

thanks for any suggestions.

This one from Pyro Dan fits my Sporti, I'm not entirely sure it fits all V11's but I think it should at least fit the earlier ones.

Just replaced mine this week.

Found the info. here (no suprise :notworthy: ) from www.mouser.com The part number is 653-d2sw-3ts which is their number.

Cost me $3.31 and $9.50 to get it here! but still cheaper than $24.50 from my MG dealer.

It has three connectors and we need only 2 so just hook up to the two outside connectors, you can leave the third alone or break it off and coat the end.

I ordered on line but if I was to order again I would call to see if it can just be shipped in a padded envelope to save on shipping. Not UPS.

Good luck

Guest h8chains

Paid less than US$4 on mine and bought 3 of them.

If you're in Los Angeles, come by and you can have it for free.

Paid less than US$4 on mine and bought 3 of them.

If you're in Los Angeles, come by and you can have it for free.

May I have one? Please!!!

My Radio Shack switch has held strong for quite a while, but a few more rain storms could kill it as it is not water proof.

Timely post as this is one of a number of parts on my bike that went south at the weekend, due to a 'wind-related incident'.

Can someone tell me if there should be a small rod (as described in the Pyro Dan link) between the brake lever and ball, in all V.11 applications?

Anyone know UK / Europe supply? Can't access Maplin website at the moment.

Good man. There seems to be far more stuff there than in Maplins anyway.

While I'm at it, do you happen to have any RS codes for relays handy?

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I seem to have missed this.

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBr...e&Nr=avl:uk

You might have to cut and paste............

In the end I got an off-the-shelf switch from Maplins. It was a few quid. It doesn't have the seal of course. Bizarrely, the standard switch was more expensive than the exact same unit with an added metal lever extension on the switch button.

Later I did find a microswitch with the seal, in a bike parts store. It just needed an extra bit of the body with electrical leads removed from the switch terminals in order to fit with the V.11 connections. It was over £20 though, so I'll stick with the standard microswitch until dirt/water ingress wrecks it.

In the US, MGCycle.com has them for 10 bucks and shipping. I imagine the Usual dealers do as well as the unusual dealers. My (now) local dealer had the front switch for $40 and the rear switch for $70. No thanks.

I would follow advice given in this thread and use the switches to activate a relay instead of running the full current through the switches themselves. I'll post a couple pictures, etc. when I get my parts in and get everything buttoned up.

Guest h8chains

May I have one? Please!!!

My Radio Shack switch has held strong for quite a while, but a few more rain storms could kill it as it is not water proof.

Sorry David, just read your post tonight. How come you didn't remind me last sunday's ride to Palomar? I'll have it under my seat from here on.

I didn't want to hit you up for it if you had already given it away.

Besides, my unsealed Radio Shack switch keeps going and going, and the forecast calls for less than a cm of rain over the next 3 months :sun:

But yes, next time we meet, I will be sure to ask you for it.

In the US, MGCycle.com has them for 10 bucks and shipping. I imagine the Usual dealers do as well as the unusual dealers. My (now) local dealer had the front switch for $40 and the rear switch for $70. No thanks.

I would follow advice given in this thread and use the switches to activate a relay instead of running the full current through the switches themselves. I'll post a couple pictures, etc. when I get my parts in and get everything buttoned up.

FWIW, PyroDan's price is $5.00 each including shipping within the USA.

While I strongly recommend relaying the headlights, I don't really see the need for the brake light. The 21W brake light draws a nominal 1.75A and that is only about half maximum load for (probably) any of the switch types. Of course, relaying won't hurt except it adds up stuff that can fail.

In the case of the headlight, there is a much higher current, too weak cabling and several switches (probably not designed to handle the load) so the benefit there is huge.

Just my :2c: