Tire question

polebridge

I have read through some of the tire threads but I am looking for some very specific advice if anyone can help me here.

I have a Coppa Italia with Metzler Sportec M-1s on it. After 5K on the rear it looks like I need some new tires. I am thinking about the Diablo dual compound corsas. I currently like the way the bike handles, particularly the light and easy steering character. I would like more grip but not if it means heavier steering feel.

Has anyone here switched from the M-1s to the Diablos? If so, did you find that the bike steered heavier or handled and better/worse?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Guest ratchethack

PB, I can't speak for the Diablo Corsa's, but I can say that having run Metz M-1's, and finding them to be the best handling and stickiest tire I've ever had on any bike for mountain road use, with the usual "soft compound" trade-off of fabulous grip for low mileage (I got less than 3K miles on the rear), then going to the Metz Z6 in search of better mileage (got it -- was hoping for 50% to 100% better, got 7.5K!!) -- I found the Z6 to be every bit as fabulously neutral handling and forgiving as the M-1's, giving up only slight grip to the M-1's at the margins -- (this was completely predictable and controllable), and to me, more than well worth the trade. :wub: One way to look at this is that not only did I get to bother with a tire change less than HALF as often with the Z6, but the rear tire was considerably less than HALF the cost per mile. Looks like I might get double or even better on the front also. :thumbsup:

I'm on my second Z6 rear now and have become convinced by the wear pattern I got last pass (there was plenty of center tread left by the time the tread 5 cm off-center was used up) that this is a multi-compound tire, despite the fact that I can find NO reference to dual or triple-compound construction of the Z6 by Metzeler or anyone else. :huh2:

Someone who can speak to the the Diablo Corsa's "common roots" with the Metz Z6 (compound, construction, tread pattern -- looks somewhat similar but not the same) might shed some further light on this. Pirelli calls the Corsa III a "3-zone compound" tire.

A Pirelli Press Release in Motor Cyclist on the Corsa III would seem to be pandering a bit to advertising hype, don't you think? :lol:

"The Diablo Corsa III gives maximum performance to everyone; the possibility to live out every emotion on the street."

But hey - that's Italian , eh? :whistle:

I have read through some of the tire threads but I am looking for some very specific advice if anyone can help me here.

I have a Coppa Italia with Metzler Sportec M-1s on it. After 5K on the rear it looks like I need some new tires. I am thinking about the Diablo dual compound corsas. I currently like the way the bike handles, particularly the light and easy steering character. I would like more grip but not if it means heavier steering feel.

Has anyone here switched from the M-1s to the Diablos? If so, did you find that the bike steered heavier or handled and better/worse?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I have a 2004 Cafe sport which came with M-1 Sportec as first tires.I can say it was a good choice for the bike,

I had alot of fun with them , but after 5k >>>...I needed tires.

So I tried Diablo Strada which is more touring oriented, and I can say that so far, so good.The steering is faster, they change direction more easily than M-1, they are good in wet, they don"t grip better but it is Ok,

and they look and behave still good after 5k...

I haven"t tried the Corsa, so if you try it I wait for report :mg:

I just switched from the 170 size down to a 160. The difference is amazing! I had a pirelli strada on the rear & switched to a Shinko Podium & I really am loving that tire. The price is about half of the price of the Pirelli but to be honest I'd have to compare both tires of the same size for a true comparison. The front Strada is still in very good shape after over 7k miles but I'm so impressed with the Shinko rear that I'm thinking of getting a new matching front Shinko.

Guest h8chains

I'm ready for a new rear in the next couple of weeks. I have an M1 and after 3K miles the center thread is gone. The sides are still 60% fresh.

I'm thinking of taking Ratchet's opinion, the Z6, just need to find a place that sells it in the Los Angeles area.

Thanks everyone.

I am inclined to go with Ratchethacks opinion on this one also. It seems a lot of guys like the Z6. I really like a lot of 'stick' though so I may go ahead with the Diablo dual compounds since my dealer has those in stock and it doesn't appear that Pirelli's in general have a negative affect on the handling of these bikes.

If I go this route I will certainly report back my experience on their performance and durability.

Baldini, have you actually tried the Michelins on your bike?

Thanks.

Z6s it is! Thanks everybody. My dealer had both the Z6s and the Diablo Corsa IIIs in stock. He explained that he orders the Z6s by the dozen because so many guys like them (mostly sport touring bikes). He has one customer that takes his Aprilia Futura on track days with the Z6s and says that they stick like glue. Strange choice for a track bike though?

Once I pick up the bike and get some miles on I'l let you all know what I think of them.

Guest ratchethack

Z6s it is! Thanks everybody. My dealer had both the Z6s and the Diablo Corsa IIIs in stock. He explained that he orders the Z6s by the dozen because so many guys like them (mostly sport touring bikes). He has one customer that takes his Aprilia Futura on track days with the Z6s and says that they stick like glue. Strange choice for a track bike though?

Once I pick up the bike and get some miles on I'l let you all know what I think of them.

I don't much care WOT they call 'em, I'll choose the "right combination" ;) of superb handling, grip, and mileage I can get every time. I reckon it was no accident the Z6 ranks at the top (or next to the top) of the Euro Moto Rag evaluation charts in the Sport Touring category (both wet AND dry). I was talking with the proprietor of the shop that spooned on my last Z6 for me. He used to race at Buttonwillow and many other West Coast tracks 20 years ago. He said just for laffs, he did a lap at Buttonwillow a few weeks ago with his honkin' heavy full-tour Kawabunga (something or other) bagger -- shod with Z6's -- and beat his best prior time on the track (no length changes to the track since then) with his '80's Honda high-zoot open-class race bike. :o:race:

As I've said lo these many years -- This must be the Golden Age of motorcycle tires, my friend. :thumbsup:

Just fitted 2 pairs of the new BT021s on our V11s in preparation for our Europe raid starting next Friday.

I wanted some sports touring tyres for the long mileage we will be doing.

Will let you know how we get on.