Exhaust coatings

Guest JEB758

Guest JEB758

Enthusiasts,

Just curious if anyone has considered having the down pipes, cross-over and pipes that lead to the exhaust cans either coated with a Jet-Hot coating (Jet-Hot.com) or wrapping the system with and Exhaust Insulating Wrap?

I was considering adding one of the two to my Scura and I was wanted some opinions or picturs if it's been done.

Thanks,

J.Bee

2002 Scura #396

PCIII

Have and will add once I decide on an exhaust

Stucci Cross Over

Open BCM Filter

I have read an article recently writen about exhaust pipe wrapping. The theory behind wrapping the exhaust is to keep the heat in or up in the exhaust system. Gas flow is greater with higher tempertures. More flow equals more HP. The down fall is high heat in the exhaust system can lead to damage to the exhaust parts. Nothing is for free! :lol:

Mike

Is "Jet Hot" the same as the shiny 'ceramic' coatings we've seen on a couple bikes on the forum, where the exhaust looks basically "perma-chromed"?? Oops... update, went and checked out the website and answered my own question :lol:

Anyway, yep, the stuff actually looks kinda neat. Since my new Ti exhausts and pipes after the x-over won't be turning "gold" like the rest of the SS system, this actually might be a good looking alternative.

One other advantage is that if the coating shields the heat a bit from the engine and transmission casings, those with 2002 "fuzzy" black engine cases might see less detioration if the headers aren't radiating quite as much heat right next to them???

al

I had the 1950's reproduction mufflers for my Ural done by Jet Hot. I think they look really nice. Lifetime rust through warranty as well. Cost was $112 for a pair with return shipping. Had t hem back 10 days after I sent them!

Lifetime rust through warranty as well.

On a bike with stainless steel factory exhaust I don't think they are going out on a limb with that one. Has anyone got some actual measured gains from this procedure? Or is it all in theroy? Probally a lot more cost effective ways to extract extra hp out of the bike than this procedure. If you are casing that last decimal hp on a F1 car I can see the piont but otherwise it sounds pretty marginal.

My understanding is that header wrap can trap moisture and promote rust... something to bear in mind. I'd probably go with a ceramic coating, myself.

Guest Guzzibill

I researched this topic several months back for some SBC headers I`m building. Conventional steel exhaust will rot out from the inside due to the higher heat from the thermal wrap , I dont know about when used on stainless though . On the jet hot coatings , it is a really good idea to have the inside coated as well , the inside of a regular steel exhaust will rot out if not treated as well due to the higher heat and again , I dont know about stainless :huh: Flow is improved , Though I dont think you would feel any performance difference :doh: The coatings look nice cosmetically , wear like iron and there are even several color options like black . or Britten Blue for example.. :grin:

A recent hot rod mag showed that the jet hot type coatings reduced external temperatures from around 500 + degress to about 225 degress when measured from a thermal gun . great news in non air conditioned hot rods and maybe even better news for black engine cases. :thumbsup:

Thermal wrap is the devil ;)

Bill Ross

Just on a lark I contacted the Jet Hot folks, and all I can say is great customer pre-sales service!

I dropped them an email, and I had a quote for the headers and x-over back in minutes, along with immediate responses to several questions.

Then today, not a week later, a package from Fed-Ex shows up on my doorstep with a formal quote, complete instructions on how to send the parts, and various testimonials, reviews, and even a VHS tape on the product. ..and I hadn't even committed to getting it done.

And BTW, to get the whole exhaust coated, $120US. $25 shipping :thumbsup:

Just for the heat reduction qualities alone, I might just get this done. Their turnaround is about 5-7 days.

al

Al,

Does that include the interior coating as well as the exterior coating?

J.Bee

..yep, it's only about a $20 savings NOT to get the interior coated, so there's really no point :rolleyes:

And they point out that if one doesn't get the interior coated, depending on the material of one's headers, the now increased heat inside the pipe not shielded will actually eat up unprotected steel even more quickly.

So they recommend, and by default do, coat the inside and out.

al

Guest JEB758

Al, thanks for doing the leg work on this topic.

Since my wife just gave birth to our first child last week I think I will contact Jet-Hot Monday morning and make arrangements to have my system coated in Matte black ASAP now that I'll have some down time from riding.

The Matte black finish should complement the looks on my Scura.

J.Bee

Guest rotorhead

I added some info in this forum:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...howtopic=16&hl=

I have both of my bikes ceramic coated.....one can be seen there. One was done by HPC and the other by a local fella. Same quality I believe but much differant pricing. After 2 years on the V11 and 5 years on my Suzuki I have no complaints.

Money well spent.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JEB758

Just letting everyone know my down pipes and Stucci x-over are at Jet-Hot as I write being coated :luigi: in matte black. Once they are returned I will post photos :pic:.

J.Bee