Exhaust coatings

Guest JEB758

Guest JEB758

Okay here is what a Jet-Hot coating looks like.

The turn around time was only ten days from the time I shipped (2 day) to Jet Hot until today when I came home and saw a white box with red print "Jet-Hot" sitting on my porch.

Overall the fit and finish of the pipes inside and out is fantastic. If you notice I had the exhaust rings and clamps coated as well. They charged me $20.00 (US) extra for the matte black finish and $20.00 extra for the rings and clamps. I paid a total of $185 for the coating with return shipping.

I haven't decided on Mistrals or FBF carbon cans. Once I make my decision I will sent them out and have the pipes and ends coated. FYI they quoted me $40.00 a can to be coated.

I'm very happy with the appearance and will certainly let you know how the coating holds up.

Let me know what you think

J.Bee

post-5-1060913442_thumb.jpg

That looks Great!

Do they coat the pipes where they fit?

It looks like it.

And if so, do they go back together fine?

Now, if you just do the engine case in the same black.(but wait many years till major rebuild time.)

Guest JEB758

dlaing,

The entire pipe is coated in the ceramic coating, the final finish is a very thin but durable looking coating. According to Jet-Hot's information the pipes are blasted with virgin aluminum oxide and the exterior is coated twice and the interior once. It is very impressive looking up close and in person.

When I initially unpacked the pipes I had some concerns about the system going back together easily. If you have ever removed the exhaust system you'll understand just how tight everything slips together.

But once I reassembled everything ( thanks to the massive power outage in the northeastern part of the US it gave me something to do) it went back together as if the pipes were not even coated. You have to be very careful, I nicked one of the pipes (luckily on an end that was covered up the system went back together) during install. Once together and the bike was started the pipes smoked very lightly for a few seconds and stopped. The pipes never changed color even after a high revving run to make sure everything was okay.

What I have thought about doing was to have my dealer coat the heads in black repair finish this winter when I bring my engine in to be re-painted under the MG repair for the bubbling paint.

J.Bee

• 7 months later...

I sent out the pipes from my California for the ceramic treatment. The material looks a little frosty compared to the new LaFranconi muffler. The clamp is what the pipes looked like before they were plated. Both pipes, both exhaust flanges, and the crossover cost me a total of $160. www.afipowder.com is the company and they are located in Piqua Ohio.

tws_pipes_80pct.JPG

Guest Thundering Subash

Very nice look J. Bee, :bier:

If I stay with my stock cans, I may go this route in a nice solid black. I didn't really sign on to have Purple exhaust cans, which they seem to be becoming more and more over time.

-Chris

I sent out the pipes from my California for the ceramic treatment. The material looks a little frosty compared to the new LaFranconi muffler. The clamp is what the pipes looked like before they were plated. Both pipes, both exhaust flanges, and the crossover cost me a total of $160. www.afipowder.com is the company and they are located in Piqua Ohio.

Yep, looks good... and just like the "Sterling" finish Jet-Hot did my system in.

It's not quite "chrome" like the muffler you have in the photo for comparison, but as you describe a bit "frosty" silver.... but still very nice. In fact, over time, it seems to get less "frosty" and more "chrome-y" ^_^

The finish is durable, but it will scratch... just like chrome, so don't go lying it on the driveway and screwing it around :huh:

I had excellent service from Jet-Hot, and they gave me great pricing. As I mentioned in 24/7, I still have a $25 coupon for Jet-Hot(off of a $200+ order), and anyone is welcome to it.

I really can't recommend them enough.

al