Twin Max Adapters,Do we need um?

mznyc

After screwing around with the TB synch knob like a deaf,DUMB,and blind man on a perfectly running machine :homer:(TB boot cracked and I tried to FIX it,ha,ha by twiddling with the TB Sync) Ive got to rebalance TBs for the first time.Do I need any adapters that TM offers for my 02 V11? :rasta:

:stupid:

Here is the unauthorized long answer (although I am sure there are couple of guys on the forum that can give a longer answer)

Guzzi in there unparalled wisdom delivered your bike with built-in adapters.

Or maybe it was not wisdom and they just did it as part of the fuel evaporation recovery system :huh2:

The hoses that came with the twin max simply attach to the brass hose fittings protruding out of the intake manifold.

The brass nipples may have either a hose or a rubber stopper covering the nipple.

It is possible that the PO aka Previous Owner, put screws in place of the brass nipple, in which case you need an adapter <_>

Not sure if they are 5 or 6mm :huh2:

One thing that worked for me is that I put adjustable inline airvalves between the twin max and the manifold nipples so that the air pressure is stabilized and the needle does not flutter. (of course it is one more thing to adjust :cheese: )

OK, here's another answer you can feel free to ignore.

I sync my throttle bodies with my wife.

No, not like that. Get your mind out of the gutter. She blips the throttle and I feel the exhaust pressure with my hands. Adjust the pressure and you sync the throttles. It works amazingly well- even better on carb models than on injected. And it's like marital cooperation therapy. What's amusing to me is taht I own a twinmax and I haven't used it on the V11. :bier::drink::huh2: eh, what do I know....

Guest ratchethack

JRT, this clearly represents a depth of connubial bliss surpassing anything I've yet to experience meself, and my hat's off to you and y'er lovely bride. :bier:

How this would work with a crossover such as a Stucci or other (or stocker for that matter) that both mixes and crosses some large (yet unknown) exhaust pulse strength to the opposite side on a 90 degree V twin's alternating firing phases will no doubt remain as mysterious as the aforementioned enigma of connubial nirvana. . . :thumbsup:

I am in awe. :notworthy:

As for me, I'm forced to rely on my vinyl tubing manometer (with two fans huffing away heartily -- one per cylinder ;) ), which seems to be as effective (certainly as sensitive) as anything else I know of. -_-:huh2:

All this connubial, brass nipples, vinyl tubing . . . :blush:

I must be missing something using mercury sticks.

( the ports are 5mm)

without any tools, I use this: pull one sparkplug and see how much it ges down in revs, then the other side the same. To make the coil happy connect the loose sparkplugwire to a sparkplug that is grounded, so it can fire its sparks.

without any tools, I use this: pull one sparkplug and see how much it ges down in revs, then the other side the same. To make the coil happy connect the loose sparkplugwire to a sparkplug that is grounded, so it can fire its sparks.

I would expect that synchronizing using vacuum measurement would balance the throttle openings independent of mixture. On a carb engine the idle mixture can then be adjusted without interraction. How would your method account for the interraction? On an injected engine, I suppose your method assumes idle mixture is balanced automatically and accurately by the injection system.

It gets tricky when idle speed screws set throttle position independent of throttle linkage. On my Norton, for normal driving conditions, smooth idle and part throttle response, I would synchronize with the idle speed screws first, then adjust the separate cables to the carbs so they both lifted off simultaneously. For racing conditions where maximum power was the goal. the cables would instead be adjusted to open both carbs to the same amount at 3/4-full open.

well, it's not so accurate, but without anything it can help. Or when you have just someone who has been playing with the adjustment screw:-), then the rest still is where it should be. I made a water column adjuster to see where vacuum goes.