rotor change

docc

Time for front rotors. They are 3.5 mm ( service limit 3.9mm) after 48,000, apparently hard, miles.

The manual shows a change after serial number 313 xxx. Is that just the carrier design or did the rotor material itself change?

Probably different supplier.

You will get better value from aftermarket rotors than through Guzzi.

I've had in hand, tried, and sold most of the aftermarket options, and here are my opinions:

1) Lightest and most old-school cool: Braketech axis rotors. As I said, light, plus, the carrier is a unique design that takes the braking load off the buttons, which allows them to float better.

2) Best working and most new-school cool: Braking Wave Rotors. These are OEM on the Aprilia SVX motard and what I put on my own Billy Bob when its rotors warped.

3) Best for racing: Brembo top of the line with cast-iron friciton surface.

If your usual supplier can't get them for you, I can at Moto Intl.

Thanks, Greg. I'll be calling you this week as I've also discovered some other parts I need.

Apparently, Luigi put my side stand on without the inner backup spring. I think I'd like to have the security in case the bigger main spring lets go.

Talk to you soon, thanks again, docc

MotoMaster has fancy flame style rotor that looks interesting. They work well, but I believe they're stainless, like many of the others. My preference is for iron discs. Better co of friction. More consistent as well. But you should stay away from full metallic( and IMO semi metallic) pads with the iron discs. Braketech and Brembo are your best bets for iron. Although I must mention that they rust when rained on. Won't hurt the disc, but some don't like the look. I can't see them when I'm riding.

brakedisks were made in the past from cast iron. Today we see other mixtures, and because of that the available brakepads are made for them. Most important is the pairing diskpad. I have PVM disks and raced them with performance friction carbon pads, incredible braking power. Won't be that good with cast iron.

As Paul states above, iron is a thing of the past... see paragraph 2 here; http://www.guzzitech.com/Brembo-Upgrades-Todd_E.html

Otherwise, bling rotors such as the wave dealios are cool for bonus points at your local squid hangout ;) -- but if you want serious stop power, this is just about the best, IMO; http://www.guzzitech.com/store/Brembo-55FFRotors.html -- 5.5mm full floating street/track rotors. I've been running them for @6 months on street and track with great results. Add the radial 19mm m/c and 4-pad calipers, and you simply have one of the best brake systems available today... one finger braking at any speed.

The 5.0mm snowflake rotor continues to be a good upgrade to the stock 4.5mm's as well, with the rest here; http://www.guzzitech.com/store/Brembo-Store.html

Yes I'm a Brembo dealer, and yes I can get just about anything Brembo for you. Don't mean to step on Greg's toes, as he/M.I. are supporters of GuzziTech.com -- thanks Greg!

Not sure what you mean by Iron being a thing of the past. Most hi performance discs are still made of Iron. Brembo included. It is true that the type and quality has changed and improved. They don't typically use "grey" iron any more. Now they tend to use ductile iron. Stainless steel is the other main choice and it does not have the co of friction that ductile iron has. It is used on many stock brake set ups because it doesn't rust. Then there's the new ceramic composite stuff. Very trick light weight stuff. It's main advantage is in it's weight, not it's co of friction.

Not sure what you mean by Iron being a thing of the past. Most hi performance discs are still made of Iron. Brembo included.

We're saying similar things... Quote from Brembo N.A. (they're blocks from my house) they use "advanced metal matrix rotors." They do not use straight/traditional cast iron any more.

Guest Mattress

Advanced Metal Matrix composite? Hmmm....I've seen this before.....

Almost sure this is the same marketing b.s. I've come across before. A fancy way of saying ductile iron. You'll also see it slipped in to describe plain Jane gray iron and aluminum castings (nearly 100% are Al-Si castings).

Metal matrix composite, definition in field of metallurgy: A material of two or more distinct phases, typically a non-metallic phase surrounded by a metal (my own definition, but you got it).

So that could be a fabricated "high-tech" man made material like carbon fibers in titanium. But you are not technically wrong (in fact you're correct) to describe aluminum-silicon casting alloys and cast irons as MMCs.

Aluminum matrix with silicon particles, iron matrix with graphite particles (flakes - gray; spheres - ductile).

All that really matters is does it stop the bike. Yes that smells of salesspeak. Do they rust and does a magnet stick to them(I know it's really more complicated then that but that will do for now).

I know Brembo has different materials that it uses for discs. I have seen and felt the difference between the stock brembos for a 916 and the top of the line brembos on a race track. That was a feeling I don't need to repeat. Once your used to racing quality brakes the plain jane stuff feels like Fred Flintstone.

My 'cooking' Brembos on the 2000 Sport lasted 48,000 miles of relentless use.

Should I expect to replace 'race spec' rotors more often?

Ok ...so this is where I the @#$$#!...

A 2000 sport with 48000 m....and your how old? :P

So in another 7 years you will have 96000 miles :huh2:

if you keep it that long....at which point nothing will be available

for your bike :grin:

Like I said ...come to the shop ....I'm going to get some too :P

andy :race:

Pad material has more to do with how long your discs last then rotor material. I prefer the feel of organic pads and as a plus they are kinder on your rotors. If you go to an aftermarket disc you ashould be sure to use pads that are recommended for that disc.