My Bike Handles Like Never Before Now

Janusz

I weigh 230 lbs + gear and my bike never impressed me too much with its handling. It was good but never on par with Jap rockets which I've owned before. I ride fast and hard on the street and we have some great twisty roads around.

So I increase preload. Two turns, then three. Played with damping. Ended up with a set up which seemed to be the best compromise: forks 12 and 14 clicks, rear rebound 28, compr. 22. Still no cigar.

Then, following some knowledgable guys on this board, I bought and installed harder springs from Lindemann. Definite improvement. But bike still had some head wobble on occasion and was difficult to control when really pushed. I thought only Ohlins or some other expensive route will be needed.

Then I came across Sportbike 2003 magazine, a Cycle World special, and found an excellent article on handling and suspension by Kevin Cameron (thank you Kevin, you are the best by a countrymile).

Seemed nothing extraordinary, supposedly things we all alredy know there, but written so well thet I could not resist; I went back to square one and started to follow Kevin advices to the letter.

Eureka! My bike is transformed! It is hard to believe, really. It handles like a dream. My favourite stretch of canyons which I was riding mainly in 4-th gear I can do now in 5th! It so much faster and effortless.

Just for the record I ended up with:

Front: R-+8, C-+7

Rear : R-+20, C-+12

So I was way overdamped after all.

You can still buy it at any newsstand I am sure.It is a yearly special magazine published by Cycle World. Its title is SPORTBIKE 2003.

They issued SPORTBIKE last year too. Editorial and main ad office is located in Newport Beach CA ph. 949 - 7205300.

I see it still on the newsstands in BC. There are three bikes on the cover: Ducati 999, Aprillia and a H***a.

Basically you take all the dampers down to zero and then take a series of test rides, then bump gradually rebound only test riding after every change. Then compression but only what you really need, then adjust rebound again.

But there is much more then that. Finally I REALLY understand what it is all about. If you understand what is going on it is so much easier and fun.

Buy the magazine, Al and everybody.

John,

Lordee!!! Lordee!!!

I too saw saw the light!

Stiffer springs brought suspension into range where damping could be knocked right back & used to make small adjustments rather than just compensate for the inadequate springs. The difference was staggering ...

We are saved!!!

KB :sun:

PS: What weight springs did you fit?

I was told they were 1.05. What units are these I have no idea. He (Lindemann guy on the phone) said kilograms, but I am not sure. They are NOT progressive since progressive are not recommended anymore, they say.

Stock are supposedly .85. I am not sure about that also.

Anyways the new springs look like made of identical material, same length, a little bit thicker wire and over 1/2 a coil less. So definitely stiffer.

I still cannot believe how the proper spring and damping affected handling and feel. Riding became easier by 50% at least.

Januza,

I really glad to here you got your bike right. It is a lot of work but it is worth it in the end. These bikes will never be GSXRs but my bike now (I took the easy way out and had LE do the spring/ re-valve) handles better than I can ride it so I'm happy. The bonus most people don't get is that I'll bet your bike also rides better with the stiffer springs. Even in Beautiful BC you have to ride boring roads occasionally. ;)

I make no claim to be in the same universe with Mr. Cameron as far as bike knowledge but the way you explained it sounds like what the people who I learned from told me to set-up a bike. People who want to know more could buy the magazine or buy the book "Sportbike Performance Handbook", also by Kevin Cameron, for even more information about setting up the whole bike. I got mine from White Horse Press

Enjoy the new legs, :bike:

Lex