Hot rear end

Baldini

Guest jeremy

I have had this groan on my centauro since I got it and it comes and goes with humidity it seems like. But it has groand for more than 20000 miles with no degredation in brake performance (even tried different kinds of pads). whoever comes up with a permanent fix for this will have fixed every spine frame ever produced!

cheers

Guest jeremy

The worst part of it is that I am currently a manufacturing engineer with a degree in AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING, an I spent six years as a dealer mechanic putting myself through school and I haven't a clue how to fix it permently!!!!! I don't think it is what is killing wheel bearings though, I have never had a problem with mine and my rear setup isn't to different. I have to say though if using a pressure washer to clean your bike don't aim it at any bearings cause they will force water past the seals, and guzzi did have a load of bad bearings in the rear wheels of v11's

cheers :grin:

...yeah, I rode home after a quick ride, and as I popped up my visor coasting/idling into the driveway, I could hear my back brake/rotor periodically squeaking/squealing... just barely. If I hit the brake lightly, it stopped, then release..... squeeeeeeek.....shhhh.... squeeeeeeeeeek..... shhhh

So here's the question: Is this "bad" or no big deal... that's what I'm wondering.

If it's just a quirk, I guess I can deal with it, but I just want to make sure it's not a major thing that is going to damage the brake. The rear wheel currently turns freely, and the disc is just barely warm to the touch after a ride, so it's not binding. Just squeaking sometimes while rolling forward at low speed, and groaning when rolling backwards...

*grumble*

So here's the question: Is this "bad" or no big deal... that's what I'm wondering.

Well, since your rotor now appears to be warped, the pads will probably spend less time rubbing and producing heat!

As long as the warpage does not turn into a pulse while breaking, you are probably fine.

Check your bearings and splines when you get a chance.

Keep an eye out for heat build up and make sure you have brake pedal free-play.

I am going to try to remember to give the brakes a firm squeeze followed by a roll forward and another squeeze before riding, to liberate and lubricate the pistons.

I measured up inside the rear hub and found the bearing spacer to be shorter by 0.6mm than the distance between bearing faces. The bearing inner/outer races were misaligned when torquing the axle nut, wrecking the bearing.

I made up a new spacer to the right length. Put it back together, torqued up the nut and....it works. Can torque the axle nut right up - wheel spins freely. Waahaaaayyy!!

Back brake still groans tho...

Backed the adjustment right off, & fitted a bit of old inner tube as a return spring for the pedal. Is it possible you could be inadvertently resting on the pedal while riding...? I've done it.

Anyhow I think there's 2 seperate problems here.

If you've had brake side bearing go, I would check the spacer.

Cheers, KB, Wales. :bike: