Trans Recall

Karl Von

A friend of mine is looking at a 2000 V11 Sport to buy. The current ownere does not know anything about the trans recalls, but he is not the orginal owner. Is there anyway to tell by looking at the bike if the recalls have been done. I read back in the stone age guzzi had a mass recall on the, then new 5spds in 1973 and that the repaired transmissions were stamped with a X near the timing mark hole on the bell housing.

I doubt if the dealers did anything as simple as that on the new bikes.

Guest ratchethack

Karl, MGNA kept pretty good track of the authorized warranty work completions on the trans recall last I heard. I don't have the "insider" phone number anymore (the numbers are likely all new anyway) but someone here should be able to source a current number where you could check it by serial number.

BTW - Assuming the work was done "legit", the bike should have a copy of the authorized work order for the warrantee work with it. Lacking this, if your Pal goes ahead with the deal, he should ask for a copy from Piaggio/MGNA. (Does MGNA still exist under that name??) :huh2:

Good luck to your Pal. It's a great machine, well worth researching this! :mg:

There's no way to positively verify if the warrantee has been done from the outside of the box (no stamping as you mentioned), but one indication that it MAY have been done is evidence of disturbance of the case paint at the engine/trans joint. O' course, that just means the trans came off at some point, not necessarily that the recall work was done!

One of the other forum members just had a recall verification done (by MPH). This is worth the trouble to square away. No word lately on how Piaggio is taking care of dealers for this work. :huh2:

From St. Pete isn't there a dealer north of Clearwater somewhere?

Skip,

Use the forum search function and you'll pull up a LOT of info on this subject including VIN numbers of the bikes affected.

I did it about a year ago hoping to verify if the engine and gearbox I bought on eBay were subject to any recall work. Unfortunately, for me it's all done on VIN numbers and not the engine numbers but I managed to score a recall kit for £10 so had it available whether needed or not :luigi:

There are a lot of postings on the subject but if you wade through them you will find the information your friend needs.

Graham

One of the other forum members just had a recall verification done (by MPH). This is worth the trouble to square away. No word lately on how Piaggio is taking care of dealers for this work. :huh2:

From St. Pete isn't there a dealer north of Clearwater somewhere?

There is a brand new dealer in Sarasota and a Honda Car dealer in Crystal River who is selling Guzzi's

I might try to see if they can find something.

There is a brand new dealer in Sarasota and a Honda Car dealer in Crystal River who is selling Guzzi's

I might try to see if they can find something.

A Honda car dealer selling Guzzi? That must tick Honda corporate off. The guy must be a real enthusiast :mg:

I can't imagine slogging a V11 up US19 from St. Pete to Crystal River in June or July.

A Honda car dealer selling Guzzi? That must tick Honda corporate off. The guy must be a real enthusiast :mg:

I can't imagine slogging a V11 up US19 from St. Pete to Crystal River in June or July.

There is also a new dealer in Sarasota off of University & 301. He is a motorcycle dealer caring Victory, Polaris, Guzzi & Aprilia. I think they are new to Guzzi as the sales man thought my 74 Cali was a Cali Vintage ? Seem like good guys and want to sell guzzis, unlike the last local dealer who hated them

As for the Honda Car- Guzzi Dealer, I don’t know how well that will work. A local BMW car dealer tried selling bikes for awhile and got out. The local Jeep dealer was selling Victories and finally spun off their own bike dealership picking up Triumph.

Seems like Sarasota would be a lot more pleasant for you to get to than anything to the north.

Any luck getting the trans recall certified?

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like Sarasota would be a lot more pleasant for you to get to than anything to the north.

Any luck getting the trans recall certified?

I emailed the dealer in Sarasota with the vin number (zgukrakrx1m113476) but have not received a reply, being a new dealer and unfamiliar with Guzzi's I doubt they will find out anything. When I rode down there on my 74 Eldo the salesman wanted to know what year was my California Vintage.

The BMW dealer who has the bike emailed and said there were no recalls on this bike. Yea and pinto's dont blow up and firestone tires don’t fall apart.

I would like a 2nd opinion.

I did find this on the board: V11Sports manufactured October 1999 to April 2001 VIN range ZGUKRAKR8YM111929 TO ZGUKRAKR11M114435

The numbers on this bike fall in the range but it comes after the Alpha section, Does anyone know if it is in our out ?

We are going to try and contact Guzzi US and see if we can get any info on it. I think it is best to forget about this one as it has been for sale forever, Anyway my friend really wants a V10 but they are scarce now. A few months back there were around 5 for sale. We did find one on the east cost in VA at a dealer but he wants 10,000 for it ?

I seem to remember, rather vaguely, that the 2 characters after ZGUKRAKR are the year of manufacture.

'8Y' was 2000, '11' is 2001. This is from distant memory so let's see if we can get some one in the know to chime in.

You're sure the 'x1' is not '11?'

I seem to remember, rather vaguely, that the 2 characters after ZGUKRAKR are the year of manufacture.

'8Y' was 2000, '11' is 2001. This is from distant memory so let's see if we can get some one in the know to chime in.

You're sure the 'x1' is not '11?'

We got the number from the dealer who has the bike. They got the number off the frame as they said they could not find a number on the motor ? I know on my Centauro & 1100 Sport they are clear as day. Being listed as a 2001, it probably is a 11 instead of a X1