Now I've done it . . .

docc

Worst part of the install was getting those damn sidecovers back on.

There's only 8mm static sag so I hope she settles in a bit.

The Red Frame and Yellow spring have that look of ignition, yes?

IMG_3698.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

Congrat's, Docc! :bier:

If your 8 mm static sag "settled in a bit" without backing off preload, I reckon it'd be a first. . . :whistle:

How's the laden sag look? :huh2:

By the time I got the flippen' side covers back on my metric assistant had gone off to bed.

The shock length looked to be about 6 mm longer than the Sachs. I'd like to see the thing settle 2-7 mm in the static. You don't think so?

Word is this is the last Ohlins built for the V11. I should feel lucky. Right up until the MasterCard bill hits. I sense a lot of rototilling coming on . . .

First you said,

There's only 8mm static sag so I hope she settles in a bit.

Which seems to indicate you want more sag.

Then you said,

I'd like to see the thing settle 2-7 mm in the static. You don't think so?

Which seems to indicate you want less sag.

:huh2:

FWIW My record of measurements indicate the Ohlins is 10mm longer than the Sachs, so 8mm static sag would sit 2mm higher than the Sachs with zero static sag.

I tried to get my Penske built to the Ohlins dimensions, but it ended up 2mm shorter than the Ohlins. I set the static sag to about 5 or 6mm which would put the ride height, bike only, at about the same as your bike with 8mm static sag.

I think 8mm static sag should be about right for you, but it really boils down to personal preference.

If you have short legs, more sag will be a good thing.

If you want it to handle well, less sag may help.

The loaded sag is however more critical.

Mine is about 31mm laden, but ideally I think it should be a little less.

I may go to a HyperPro rising rate spring to reduce bottoming without getting too stiff.

Penske recommend 7/8"-1-1/6" laden sag (22.2mm - 29.6mm), but the Penskes tend to have less stroke than the Ohlins and be more geared towards racers.

I think somewhere between Penske and Ohlins recommendations lies nirvana.

Ohlins recommends

Without rider:

Rear: 5-15 mm

Front: 25-30 mm

With rider:

Rear: 30-40 mm

Front: 35-50 mm

I think those are good measurements for touring on smooth roads.

I tend to think the Guzzi Rear with Ohlins is probably best with about 5-10mm static and about 30mm laden. For rough roads and agressive handling, maybe about 25mm laden sag is about right.

But as always, YMMV

My Ohlins owners manual recommends static sag 10-20mm. Mine is at 8mm . To clarify, I was hoping it would settle after a ride another 2-7 for a total of 10-15.

Unless it settles, or changes some, after a ride it will have to come back off so the shop can move the basic preload setting as the spring pressure must be released. :luigi:

The spring Ohlins specified for the Guzzi unit is 1091-26. This has a 1091-29 based on a rider weight with gear of 190 pounds(418 Kg). I told Andy someone would ask about the spring. Paul, do you know what that /29 spring is rated?

Guest ratchethack

. . .after a ride it will have to come back off so the shop can move the basic preload setting as the spring pressure must be released. :luigi:

Docc, are you saying that the preload on this shock can't be adjusted without removing it from the bike and taking it to "the shop"?? :huh2:

Now that'd be a mighty inconvenient thing and a fur piece beyond my expectations -- but then again, it wouldn't be the first, nor the last time my expectations weren't met. . . :whistle:

That's correct. The adjusting collar is pinned and can only be moved by removing the spring pressure or the 8mm ( the spec says 10mm but the travel measures 8mm) with the remote adjuster.

Just back from a 37 mile spin. If anything, it's riding 0.5 mm higher now.

Static sag: 8mm (edit)

Laden: 29mm

Impression: magic?

Maybe so! The biggest surprise is how composed she stays powering out of corners. And with much less dive going in I was able to carry a more consistent pace. Maybe my new front rotors will last a lot longer than my first.

To be expected, midcorner bumps don't upset the line and I was able to sit over very rough sections that I have always stood on the pegs for.

The set-up was for 190 pounds and I'm really 185 in gear. Maybe that's the other mm right there?

I'm ready to put in the 1.0 fork springs now. I guess i should change the oil and reset the levels even though it was just done. :huh2:

Guest ratchethack

Outstanding, Docc! :bier:

Somehow I got lost as to how static (unladen) sag got from 8 mm to 18 mm without preload adjustment, but that's not important now. :huh2:

Your sag numbers look good to me -- they're very similar to mine and we weigh about the same, so I reckon I know wot you mean. ;)

But I'm fabber-freakin'-gasted that Ohlins would make a shock that hard to change preload! :homer:

Other mfgr's offer options for remote preload adjustment so easy you can do it on the fly. . . :huh2:

I'm ready to put in the 1.0 fork springs now. I guess i should change the oil and reset the levels even though it was just done. :huh2:

Can't think of why you'd want to change out fork oil if it's just been done. :huh2: I'd sure check the air gap, but again -- it should be right where you left it, and Robert's y'er Mum's favorite sibling? :huh2:

By my experience, you can have new springs in the forks in about 15 minutes (assuming no change in preload while y'er at it by cutting spacers). :luigi:

Somehow I got confused as to how static (unladen) sag got from 8 mm to 18 mm without preload adjustment, but that's not important now. Your numbers look good to me -- they're similar to mine and we weigh the same, so I reckon I know wot you mean. wink.gif

My bad: static is still 8mm / Laden ( in the Aerostich etc.) 29mm.

I edited my flub.

The preload is adjustable remotely. But only 8mm can be added. Nothing can be taken away with out putting the thing in a spring compressor. :bbblll:

Can't really do it 'on the fly' since the adjustor faces back from the right passenger peg bracket.

But I'm fabber-freakin'-gasted that Ohlins would make a shock that hard to change preload! :homer:

I am sure that the aftermarket Ohlins unit for the V11 comes with a remote preload adjuster.

Guy :helmet:

My Ohlins owners manual recommends static sag 10-20mm. Mine is at 8mm . To clarify, I was hoping it would settle after a ride another 2-7 for a total of 10-15.

Unless it settles, or changes some, after a ride it will have to come back off so the shop can move the basic preload setting as the spring pressure must be released. :luigi:

The spring Ohlins specified for the Guzzi unit is 1091-26. This has a 1091-29 based on a rider weight with gear of 190 pounds(418 Kg). I told Andy someone would ask about the spring. Paul, do you know what that /29 spring is rated?

1091-26 is a 485# or 85 N/mm spring or 8.66 Kg/mm

1091-29 is a 514# or 90 N/mm spring or 9.17 Kg/mm

From a conversion chart here

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/suspensionspring.php

FWIWIMHO I think your sag and spring rate are about right.

Since you talk about wanting it to "settle" (which won't happen) I suspect you find it either to harsh or too high.

Assuming it is too harsh, I would try backing off the compression damping.

I thought the shock Ohlins spec'd for Guzzi had a remote preload. I guess the last one did not.

EDIT I see you posted it does, but is limited to 8mm. If your range is from 0mm to 8mm, even if you stay at 8mm, it might be worth removing 4mm preload so that your range is ~4mm to ~12mm. I also see you posted 29mm laden sag, which sounds good to me!

If ride height is the problem, then reducing preload is your best solution.

Backing off the preload will give you a greater tendency to bottom, so I would make sure you are not bottoming before pulling the shock to make such an adjustment.

If you are bottoming but need to go lower, than you need a stiffer spring.

I find it helpful for understanding how the spring works, to shift my weight back and go over bumps to see how it complies.

Of course, how it complies in your normal riding position is more important, but the butt-o-meter is a numb instrument and shifting weight back will give you a greater clue to whether or not it is bottoming.

For sure, the Ohlins unit for the V11 has a remote preload adjuster:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c215/docchaynes/IMG_3703.jpg[/img]]

With it set to zero additional preload, this Sport sags 8mm unladen. If I were to crank the preload up fully, the bike would have no static sag.

Now with a load in the panniers (single malt and tools) or a passenger, I can add another 8mm to the laden sag.

I think the sag is about right. I definately ready to move on to the forks and balance the package.

So, a #514 spring. Thanks, Dave. Is that about what would be expected for my rider weight?

Funny, they never asked about riding style. I guess they figure if you're springing -_- for an Ohlins on an Italian bike, they know what you want. :P

So is the problem the ride height or the harshness?

You might want to add the heavier front fork springs before going through the trouble of pulling the rear shock, as the dynamics will change.

Oh, it's definately not harsh. It's lovely, really. After 49,000 miles and seven years of riding the difference was apparent in the first corner.

I agree it's going to be better to get the front springs in before jacking around with the shock any more.

It'll be interesting to see how close Traxxion got the spacers. Ohlins, obviously, pegged their end extremely close! :thumbsup: