Painting valve cover

Golem

rosso_corsa_USEDmini.jpgHello!

I wanted to replace my valve cover (rosso corsa) that was scratched in a fall and i contacted Teo Lamers.

They sent me a diffrent shade of red cover (mandello red I guess)... They insist that is the right color for my bike and the difference of shade is because of the color fade (I have to admit that the color fade a little despite the painting technique but is definitly a different kind of red) and that answer of them raised questions about their professionality.....

I will send back the cover and I was wondering if anyone knows how and what painting is used for the cover (including the type of painting, the color code and the procedure in order to keep the paint unchanged by the heat).

I put a picture to see that the difference is not caused by the color fade...

Regards,

Golem

Guest ratchethack

Now this is just me, Golem. And we are dealing with nuances of shade filtered through digital CCD technology on one end and my computer's digital interpretation of this on the other end :o -- but by wot I'm looking at right now, it looks like Teo Lamers has not misled you in any way. :huh2:

It might be helpful to consider (not that you haven't already of course) that looking at the bike, it's only possible to see both covers from either the front or rear. It may be very noticeable to you because you're being very critical of the difference. IMHO none but you would ever notice.

I'd install it and not give it another thought, with the expectation that the new one may (or may not) fade to match over time. :huh2:

BAA, TJM & YMMV ;)

Now this is just me, Golem. And we are dealing with nuances of shade filtered through digital CCD technology on one end and my computer's digital interpretation of this on the other end :o -- but by wot I'm looking at right now, it looks like Teo Lamers has not misled you in any way. :huh2:

It might be helpful to consider (not that you haven't already of course) that looking at the bike, it's only possible to see both covers from either the front or rear. It may be very noticeable to you because you're being very critical of the difference. IMHO none but you would ever notice.

I'd install it and not give it another thought, with the expectation that the new one may (or may not) fade to match over time. :huh2:

BAA, TJM & YMMV ;)

Yeah, it may look similar in the picture but the fact is that mine is like red with a shade of orange and this one is a dark cherry red. I have also check out with my local dealer and I found out that are 2 different type of red: one of it is for Rosso/Nero Corsa and the other one for Rosso Mandello. Anyway putting diffrent cover can result extremy annoying even if nobody else but me will ever notice the difference...

I guess I'm too perfectionist...

Guest ratchethack

FWIW, I put some serious road rash on one of mine awhile back (destroyed the head guard and spark plug in the process). I found that filling it in with JB Weld, body filler, and glazing compound, followed by a few coats of brush-on (that's right) dull aluminum paint to match is good enough that no one can tell -- even when I mention it. :huh2:

You might consider a similar repair on the bad one and repainting both to match. :sun:

I've had the same problem. The original grey one on my '02 LM is a much warmer gray than the replacement (with correct part #, I might add) I got after my spill to years ago. But my difference isn't as obvious as yours. It looks like they mounted 2001 Rosso Mandello covers on your bike and the replacement from TLM is the right color...

I think it's the infamous Guzzi paint inconsistency. :luigi: Again...

I've had the same problem. The original grey one on my '02 LM is a much warmer gray than the replacement (with correct part #, I might add) I got after my spill to years ago. But my difference isn't as obvious as yours. It looks like they mounted 2001 Rosso Mandello covers on your bike and the replacement from TLM is the right color...

I think it's the infamous Guzzi paint inconsistency. :luigi: Again...

Well this ideea didn't cross my mind, I guess because it is much more unlikely to be so...

and by the way in the invoce recived from Teo Lamers the product description says: "VALVE COVER V11 ROSSO M". Hmmmmm... M from Mandello??????

Regards

FWIW, I put some serious road rash on one of mine awhile back (destroyed the head guard and spark plug in the process). I found that filling it in with JB Weld, body filler, and glazing compound, followed by a few coats of brush-on (that's right) dull aluminum paint to match is good enough that no one can tell -- even when I mention it. :huh2:

You might consider a similar repair on the bad one and repainting both to match. :sun:

This is a good ideea...Thanks!

What kind of paint should I use ( to avoid the fade out)?

The rocker covers on my 'Vert are powder coated but its all flaking off and looking fairly manky now, (At least it was the last time I saw it, it's out on loan and I haven't seen it in nearly a year!). I don't think this was poor preparation, simply due to different coefficients of expansion.

Pete

I thought the Rosso Mandello Calve covers ( was that from 2002?) were different from the later red ones. Maybe some one with a RM can pony up here. :huh2:

rosso_corsa_USEDmini.jpgHello!

I wanted to replace my valve cover (rosso corsa) that was scratched in a fall and i contacted Teo Lamers.

Golem

Just out of curiosity: how much did Teo nick you for on the replacement cover?

BTW, I think the only way to keep the cover color from fading would be to use some sort of temperature resistant wax [ie: turtlewax silicone of some sort, not Pledge like on the rest of the bike...] ;)

Guest V11RossoNigel

Hi there Golem, I have just got hold of a 2001 Rosso Mandello and low and behold rocker covers are faded just as yours to a pretty horrible pinky orange yuke ! :bbblll: I have been mulling over my options of which one was powder coat them but because of the heat and expansion etc etc I am not sure if this would last very long, but I dont really know unless I try. However what I think I might do is but two new ones then the difference in fade will not be apparent side to side, having said this I do not yet know how much they cost, so how much did you pay for the one cover, I would be interest to know.

cheers

Nigel :huh2:

how much did you pay for the one cover, I would be interest to know.

cheers

Nigel :huh2:

Well....I guess you better paint them, cause one cover costs me 200€ (including shipping from Holland to Spain). No cheap at all :(