exhaust cans

richard100t

I was checking some sweet carbon cans for a Suzuki TL1000R on ebay & they're about half the price of the carbon cans for a Guzzi. They look like they would fit just fine with a pipe fit from the can to the crossover. Has anyone tried this yet, & if so how did you like it? Is there such a big difference in the cannisters from one type of bike to another?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anything is possible if you're prepared to do a little fabrication.

I fabbed up a set of Supertrapp reverse-cone megaphones to my Sport 1100 for awhile. It took a little work and a couple trips to a tubing bender and a welder, but it worked for me until I could afford Staintunes...

58914112-L.jpg

For awhile, I thought about doing such a thing by hacking the inlet pipes off of the stock cans and fitting them up to some generic set of aftermarket ones, but I chickened out.

Ken

anything is possible. Guzzi cans are the same as others just in the right diameter and angles(sorta) to mount up without modifications(if youre lucky) Go ahead but if they're not the right diameter you'll have even more fun with the connection pipe. :luigi:

:wacko: Am I reading this right?

Is it "simply" a matter of finding a set of cannisters (say Micron for example) and having a pipe fitter:

a. mate up the Microns to the existing mid pipe's diameter and

b. ensuring that the pipe's bend allows proper positioning of the cannisters for mounting.

If this is the case, simply finding the right diameter and mounting bend cant be too difficult...or can it :huh: ?

How critical is the diameter and/or length of the cannister's innards? Would cannisters intended for another similar engine (1100cc V twin) be close enough as a starting point?

This may open up a whole world of possibilities!!! Or, on the other hand it may lead to a ruined engine, financial disaster, bankruptcy and :huh2: doom.

Which?

How critical is the diameter and/or length of the cannister's innards? Would cannisters intended for another similar engine (1100cc V twin) be close enough as a starting point?

This may open up a whole world of possibilities!!! Or, on the other hand it may lead to a ruined engine, financial disaster, bankruptcy and :huh2: doom.

Which?

The existing spectrum of exhaust choice for the V11, and many other bikes, is already pretty broad. Introducing something else is not really that big a deal. It's the tuning of the engine after the fact that's important. Once the appropriate ECU remapping is achieved, the bike should run well. There are countless threads on this subject on this forum. M4 offers a whole grab-bag of silencers of various lengths, shapes, materials, and inlet diameters. There is no specific application tied to them. They are for replacement use or applications that M4 doesn't provide. There are many other exhaust makers that offer generic replacement silencers, particularly for vintage bikes.

Ken

I really doubt that exhaust cannisters could hurt your engine in any way. My only real concern was the pipe diameters matching between different brands & types of bikes. If the pipe size is the same it should be easy enough to fit. I guess I would have to have pipes custom bent to fit between the can & the crossover.

on the other hand it may lead to a ruined engine, financial disaster, bankruptcy and :huh2: doom.

Not that one, not possible, :lol: good luck messing up that big lump with any exhaust can you can dream up, think about it, quat-d's mistrals termi's anything, HELL you can run with NO cans and be ok, like said you just need to have it tuned to run right after the cans, they're not very important in themselves. I've been thinking of just going without cans altogether for the up coming wheels of italy :grin: well I won't, but wouldn't that be something. Take a look around and at whats inside the cans, they're not filled with magic :lol: well maybe the quat-d's are :ninja:

• 1 month later...

I was checking some sweet carbon cans for a Suzuki TL1000R on ebay & they're about half the price of the carbon cans for a Guzzi. They look like they would fit just fine with a pipe fit from the can to the crossover. Has anyone tried this yet, & if so how did you like it? Is there such a big difference in the cannisters from one type of bike to another?

For $200 a pair, they are tempting. Did you find out what the inlet looks like? Joe

motores_016.jpg

Thats what you cant see in the photos! :( I asked the seller on ebay about the pipe size but never got a response. Does anyone here know the pipe diameter for the v11? I'd buy those pit ecks in a heartbeat if I knew the pipe size is the same.

Thats what you cant see in the photos! :( I asked the seller on ebay about the pipe size but never got a response. Does anyone here know the pipe diameter for the v11? I'd buy those pit ecks in a heartbeat if I knew the pipe size is the same.

Here are the outside diameters on my '04 Cafe Sport:

Exhaust: 44.90 mm

Crossover Inlet: 47.89 mm

Crossover Outlet: 51.28 mm

Silencer Inlet where it attaches to the above: 54.25 mm

The implication is that the I.D. of the Crossover Inlet is nominally 45 mm with a wall thickness of 1.5 mm, and the I.D. of the Silencer tube is nominally 51 mm with a wall thickness of 1.5 mm.

Hope that helps. I look forward to following your progress!

Cheers.

Guest ratchethack

. . .good luck messing up that big lump with any exhaust can you can dream up, think about it, quat-d's mistrals termi's anything, HELL you can run with NO cans and be ok, like said you just need to have it tuned to run right after the cans, they're not very important in themselves. I've been thinking of just going without cans altogether for the up coming wheels of italy :grin: well I won't, but wouldn't that be something. Take a look around and at whats inside the cans, they're not filled with magic :lol: well maybe the quat-d's are :ninja:

Careful, DeBen. Looks like you've been reading Dave's posts. . . :o

Despite Dave's relentless clichéd dream world philosophy of, "bore it, stroke it, anyway you want to!", "The V11 Hayabusa Eater Lives!", the sky's the limit, wing it with wild abandon, cast caution to the wind, and full speed ahead -- it's not exactly "OK" to put anything you want on the exhaust without considerable trade-offs and consequences.

I'd be very careful about saying that you can run NO cans and "be OK". <_<

Whenever you make a muffler change, this makes a change in both the back-pressure and the resonant signature of the entire exhaust system. It makes direct changes to the way the heads flow. Much the same principles are at work when re-plumbing intake. Both sides, intake and exhaust, work together, and one affects the other. Re-maps are not always needed with a muffler change, but often are. If you run open pipes (no muffler) after having it mapped with any kind of "straight thru" muffler, you're going to throw the A/F off very significantly, you will lose significant power, and you may burn exhaust valves. :o

BTW - just my opinion, but the Quat-D's ought to be very critically analyzed before spending. They have been known to cut a huge hole in the powerband that's not possible to correct with a re-map, not to mention frequent reports of cracking. Ask Dave. He's undoubtedly got an unusually "creative" explanation for why he bought one, installed it, was disappointed enough to have got rid of it, and now wants another one. I do b'lieve many many hundred$, if not thou$and$ of $$ in dyno runs, programming gear, and the muffler itself were spent (and mostly lost) with literally nothing remaining to show for it in aftermath :doh: Without question, at possibly a 10-to-one ratio (or more), IIRC, more combined mapping hours and Forum hours in discussion were spent on it than actual riding hours were logged as long as the Quat-D was installed! :homer:

Any response from Dave on this is bound to have Dave's very best wicked backspin justification on it. Pull up a chair. :lol:

Let's not let this thread wander off topic with a philosophical discussion of no mufflers. I'd really like to see the original question answered. Thanks, Joe

The answer to the original question "Can other muffs work if they fit?" is a "Duh! Of course! It's all in the 'if they fit" part!"

The only relevant concern outside of matching up pipe diameters/bends is muffler *volume*, given similar construction methods. Of course, we have no way to judge construction, beyond the ASS-U-M(e)ption that all stock pipes are going to be built roughly the same, given the identical noise standards that they must pass.[1] Of course, this assumption might get us in trouble w/ moving similar volume cans from an inline-4 to a twin, since exhaust pulses from the latter are larger & less frequent, & hence internal harmonics, etc. might have been adjusted by the manufacturer to suppress certain exhaust notes in the former that simply don't exist in the latter engine format, & vice versa.

All of which is a fancy way of saying "suck it & see." Quite frankly, I'm certain that outside of certain flagship models [GSXR, G'wing, ZX1400, etc.], the J-4 aren't spending any more time massaging the exhaust internals than Guzzi does by buying OTS solutions from Lafranconi. So some stock Ti takeoffs from eBay, if they had the correct [or correctable] mateup w/ the stock Guzzi plenum [or Stucchi, Mistral, whatever] would work just as well if not better, & most importantly, save weight. But of course, they may not look as good, so there's that tradeoff.

You'll notice the stress on wt. savings: given the need to conform w/ legal restrictions, there's virtually no way to increase performance from the engine w/o exceeding noise limits. OTOH, if the power/wt. ratio on a V11 is (not accurate; just to make the math easy) 10#:1hp, then saving 20# in exhaust wt. is like getting 2 free ponies [& btw, a handling boost in the process, which can be even more important than the hp...], w/ no other tuning issues (ie, same backpressure & flow as the stockers.)

Izzat answer enough?

:nerd:

:mg:

[1] Cutting cans up the way I did for the "inside shots" of the stock Guzzi cans is unfortunately too ex$pen$ive to perform across the board. Any TSA employees on the list who wouldn't mind running some exhaust cans thru the luggage x-ray scanner for us? That'd be a treat, save a ton of time, & give us some pics that would be sweet to compare!

of coarse ALMOST any can will fit as they are quite similar inside BUT you should always get your bike tuned after installation so you don't cause any problems. As long as you don't have to bend the pipe too much or go with a dramatically different size dia pipe you should be more than fine.