Joining the ranks of the en-spined!

pete roper

Well, I've just sent Wally a message and as long as he's still amenable it looks as though #372 will soon be mine! :mg:

Now all I've got to do is arrange to get it to MPH, get it clutched and re-sprung for a massive lardy and get over there to give it the flogging it so richly deserves! :grin:

then I have to battle with the F#ckers at DOTARS to get it back to OZ. That'll be fun. NOT :vomit:

Pete

Guest EKIMYRF

Pete

I have been dealing with DOTARS for the last couple of weeks re importing a V11 from the UK with very little luck

This the their response to me :-

I do not think you would be able to bring in the vehicle to Australia.

Briefly, it maybe be possible to obtain an “Import Approval" if the vehicle:

(1) has been owned and used overseas for a continuous period of not less than twelve months by a person who is an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident (certain Visa's are accepted) [Personal Import Scheme] ; or

(2) was manufactured before 1 January 1989 [Vehicles Manufactured Before 1 January 1989 Import Scheme] ; or

(3)is a standard vehicle that has been evaluated by Australian authorities. i.e. the vehicle is fitted with an Australian Compliance Plate [Australian Compliance Plate Fitted Import Scheme] ; or

(4)conforms to "National Standards", "Australian Design Rules" (ADRs) when manufactured confirmed by the manufacturers Australian delegate by way of a statement [ Letter of Compliance Import Scheme] ; or

(5)is to be converted by an organisation holding the appropriate approval to meet the requirements of the ADRs if manufactured after 1 January 1989 [Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme RAWS]

In my case

1.Not an option

2.10 years too young

3.Bike has has NOT been ADR’d

4.Would have to get Guzzi to supply a letter of compliance it cannot be from the distributor or a dealer (next to impossible and apparently this is very rarely done by the manufacturer)

5.There is a list of vehicles that are eligible to be modified by a RAW and guess what Moto Guzzi isn’t on the list

Very keen to hear how you go with them

Good luck

Mike

Well, I've just sent Wally a message and as long as he's still amenable it looks as though #372 will soon be mine! :mg:

Now all I've got to do is arrange to get it to MPH, get it clutched and re-sprung for a massive lardy and get over there to give it the flogging it so richly deserves! :grin:

then I have to battle with the F#ckers at DOTARS to get it back to OZ. That'll be fun. NOT :vomit:

Pete

Ha Pete

Jap-in-oz has already imported a Scura into Australia,he might be able to come up with some pointers.

This will bring the numbers back up {15 I think}, as there has been a couple of write-off's. :drink:

Hello guys,

I have sucesfully imported my Scura into OZ (firstly from Germany into Holland but that's a different story). I'll start of with saying it isn't a lott of fun:

If I recall corecttly this is what needs doing (for QLD anyay)

Get an import approval from DOTARS: and this is where it gets tricky! It was easy for me since I owned the bike for an extended period of time. But I seem to recall there is an option to import "rare" vehicles that are hard to obtain in OZ. The scura is rare enough not to be listed on QLD transport registers my scura is listed as a Cafe sport now.. so that might be an option.

At that point you can start importing: you need your import approval and a taxation (red book or similair or an official valuer) in order to pay your import duty/gst etc.

after that the real fun starts getting your bike now needs to confirm to australian standards... I literally spend hours on the phone trying to sort this out: in the end some helpfull soul send a sticker off (apparantely far from the correct procedure) I got a safety certificate, without the sticker on it without a new lens, and other bits and pieces went to queensland transport and got my plates! this whole process took a lott of patience/time dealing with STUPID people (all the procedures can be found on the internet but none of the employees seem to know what to do)

Importing a bike isn't a lott of fun and is also a expensive business a couple of ballpark figures:

Transport (I did my two bikes in a container with my other household goods which ended up being cheap)

just the bike $1500 at least

Import broker will take $ 200

Tax/GST depending on the value my scura got vallued at $10000 so that was $1000

various bits and pieces permits, etc $ 500

So in short you won't make any money of it! having a written of frame would definitely be an option that would make life easier!

Good luck!

Jasper

don't think you need a scura... any v11 will do after my experiene at QLD transport... they would not recognize the difference between a le mans and a nakid....

must be a couple of written of v11's around!

Cheers

jasper