Metzeler Sportec M-1s

Greg Field

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

Greg, I ran 2 sets of M1's last year. I really liked them, found them to be the stickiest Sport tires I'd used to date. :thumbsup: Quick handling, neutral, forgiving at the limit without a tendency to break loose without plenty of advance warning, hold extremely well in the wet, "loose" stuff, sand, marbles, etc. Only "trouble" with 'em I had was the rears were completely gone by 4500 miles. Thankfully, the Z6's I went to after my last M1's had 90% of the grip of the M1's, with much the same handling as the M1's, slightly quicker turning, and 3000 more miles as the trade-off (on the rear). I've been on Z6's ever since (running on 2nd rear, just bought 2nd front) and can't say enough about 'em. Per previous posts, Z6's took top honors in Motorrad and Moto Revue Sport/Touring testing categories in BOTH wet and dry. :wub:

For $0 and of course your free mounting services at MI, I'd slap on a slightly used M1 with a big smile. :grin:

BAA, TJM & YMMV

Only caveat is if this is the one that came off my Ballabio after I ran over a siding nail with it. Prior to this mishap I found the rear tire to be a bit squirrley when accelerating out of turns. Some of this could be due to me getting used to a new bike but when Micha replaced the tires with the Michelins, the bike felt waaaay more solid tracking in turns.

I am sure with your riding experience and penchant for swapping parts (multiple crossovers in a weekend!?!?) you should take a flyer on it and won't have any trouble.

I am sure with your riding experience and penchant for swapping parts (multiple crossovers in a weekend!?!?) you should take a flyer on it and won't have any trouble.

That was all in one day. It is that tire. I'll patch it from the inside, so it should hold until the tire is worn out, hwich won't take long. I'll be lucky if it lasts through my August trip to Hyder, AK.

I'll second what Ratch said about the Z6's. I had a Sportec on the back of the 'G' after the original Rensport wore out. It stuck like glue but was VERY soft, wore quickly and I got two punctures in it which *could* just of been bad luck but also I think shows that they are extremely soft! I patched it internally twice and wore it out but since changing to the Z6's I've seen no need to go to a *sportier* tyre. You ride a good deal harder than I do though so your requirements may well be very different.

Having said that, if it's CHEAP or better still FREE? Grab it and run. :grin:

Pete

I have got one front and two rear tyre of these M1. First 180 second 190. They were even worse.

I will never go back to the M1.

Bad feeling in wet, bad feeling in dry (when the tyre isn’t warm enough) and the front tyre gives up very soon. Front tyre gets deformed very fast and if it is so far there is no feed back at all.

Tyre is also too cheap to me in Europe. :2c: Dunno why…

Tyre is also too cheap to me in Europe. :2c: Dunno why…

The M1 has gotten cheaper due to the substitute top Metzeler SS tire, the newer M3.

Never got any type of behavior like you say on the M1, which was absolute neutral and sticky in all conditions.True , they wore out fast in 8Kkm but no deforming whatsoever.

Guest ratchethack

FWIW, the M1 has got a little long in the tooth in recent years, having been superceded by the M3 as you point out, Alex. So of course, it has slid down the comparo lists as does EVERY superb tire on the back side of it's market life curve. IMHO, this DOES NOT in any way shape or form make it a BAD TIRE -- even today! :whistle:

Would I get another M1? Not at current market prices. It's time has come and gone. There are newer, better alternatives such as the M3, which are on the rising side of their market life curves. When it comes to tires, best pay the premium for the current best o' the best, IMHO. :thumbsup:

But then, how you gonna beat the cost per mile of a free tire? :grin:

Again -- IMHO, in wot I consider to be today's *Golden Age of Motorcycle Tires* :wub: it's pretty tough to make a "mistake" with any of the front runners -- even from a few years ago! :notworthy:

I had both the Motorrad and Moto Revue original comparo tests linked awhile back but the sites have been taken down. Here's a partial copy of the Motorrad testing results:

Stolen (and re-stolen) from another site/listserv.

NOTE: Who says Metzeler tires are "too expensive"??!! Check the mileage Motorrad got on the Z6 rear! I was amazed that I got 7400 miles on my last Z6 rear. They got another 1K miles on top of that!! IMHO, as long as the tire carries and extends it's grip, ride and handling into the long miles, this can be the equivalent of a 30-40% discount off wotever you paid for the tire relative to other tires -- on a cost-per-mile basis, of course -- not to mention the lower grief-per-mile WRT the cost, time-sink, and tedium involved in changing the tire! B)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

> The German mag MOTORRAD had an interesting tire comparo where they

> determined the best sport-touring tire and the best sport tire for

> street/trackday in the dry and wet with lap-times that don't lie and

> also tire wear/longevity.Interesting was also that the difference in

> corner speed between the best sport-touring tire and the best sport

> tire was only 2,5 mph and they said todays best touring tires have

> more than adequate traction for all kind of streetriding.Only if you

> do trackdays and are fast enough to get the sport tires warm enough

> sport tires are safer and the way to go...anyways the best

> Sport-Touring tires;

> dry:

> 1) Metzeler Z6

> and Conti Road Attack

> 2)Pirelli Diablo Strada

> 3)Dunlop D220

> 4)Michelin Pilot Road

> 5)Bridgestone BT020

> 6)Avon Azaro

> wet:

> 1)Pirelli Diablo Strada

> 2)Metzeler Z6

> 3)Michelin Pilot Road

> 4)Conti Road Attack

> 5)dunlop D220

> 6)Bridgestone BT020

> 7)Avon Azaro

> Between the best and worst tire were 5,5 sec difference in lap time!

> Sport-tires;

> dry:

> 1) Metzeler M3

> 2)Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

> 3)Michelin Pilot Power

> 4)Conti Sport Attack

> 5)Metzeler M1

> 6)Pirelli Diablo

> 7)Dunlop Qualifier

> 8)Bridgestone BT014

> 9)Avon Viper Sport

> wet:

> 1)Michelin Pilot Power

> 2)Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

> 3)Metzeler M3

> 4)Pirelli Diablo

> 5)Metzeler M1

> 6)Conti Sport Attack

> 7)Avon Viper Sport

> 8)Dunlop Qualifier

> 9)Bridgestone BT014

> 9,4 sec difference per lap between the fastest and slowest tire on

> the same motorcycle! (Yamaha R6)

> 6 tires were tested on tread wear;(rear tire)

> 1)Metzeler Z6 8400 miles

> 2)Pirelli Diablo 4400 miles

> 3)Metzeler M3 4100 miles

> 4)Michelin Pilot Power 2CT 3500 miles

> 5)Dunlop Qualifier 3100 miles

> 4)Conti Sport Attack 2500 miles (testbikes Buell XB12S)

Guest ratchethack

Yeah, Antonio. That hadn't escaped me. I think you'll find that the Diablo name has been used on lots of entirely different model tires going back (seems like decades now??) while the actual tires themselves have been upgraded frequently under the same name. Pirelli has tended to stick with a name that sells. Metzeler, on the other hand, has historically tended to come out with a completely new model designator when they introduce a substantially improved new tire.

I think you'll find that all the Diablo tires of 8 years ago have long been superceded -- or they'd not be competitive.

Now that they're the same company, it'll be interesting to see wot they wind up doing next. :race:

Would I choose a Diablo Strada over a Z6? Not likely:

1. The Diablo Strada only tests above the Z6 in the wet and I try not to ride wet. Moto Revue put them very close to Motorrad in their tests. They're so close on the top of both lists that the real-world differences are more'n likely insignificant -- until it comes to price:

2. Assuming its the Strada that was tested for mileage and not the Corsa, the Strada got 4K less miles than the Z6! At the same retail price, that's nearly a 100% greater cost per mile! Would you willingly pay double the price for the Pirelli name?

That may well be a rhetorical question in this case, :helmet:;) , but there you have it! :whistle: