Metzeler Sportec M-1s

Greg Field

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

Point well made, Keith. I wouldn't ever take just one tire comparo test verbatim . I place ZERO faith in comparison tests on actual motorcycles -- particularly when it comes to handling comparisons. <_< But competitive tire evaluations are an entirely different matter. IMHO, they tend to be more scientifically conducted, far far less subjective, more reliable, and more closely tied to useful, real-world considerations. Two of the top testing moto Journals in Europe coming up with very close tire test competitive ranking results carries come credibility with me. ^_^

Again, IMHO, there's not many mistakes to be made these days with any choices near the top of the tire evaluation tests -- even if price is no object.

BAA, TJM, & -- particularly when it comes to tires! -- YMMV :huh2:

:2c:

About "Motorrad" magazine: That's by far the most overrated waste of paper there is in the world. If there is a BMW in a comparison test or whatever other german products they amazingly lose their objectivity. I take tests from "Motorrad" with a truck load of salt.

One thing they are right about: the Conti Road Attacks. Great tyres.

I've had that M1 on for a few days, now, and like it very much for commuting. Here's why: My commute includes quite a bit of pavement that was "re-surfaced" by gringing it down to the level of the potholes using a big machine that leaves squiggly grooves all along the pavement. THe Pilot Power rear used to track along each of those squigles and make the rear of the bike feel wiggle independantly from the front. The M1s ignore those squiggles, so the rear end feels planted. I haven't tried the M1 at extreme lean angles yet, but I love it so far

I've had that M1 on for a few days, now, and like it very much for commuting. Here's why: My commute includes quite a bit of pavement that was "re-surfaced" by gringing it down to the level of the potholes using a big machine that leaves squiggly grooves all along the pavement. THe Pilot Power rear used to track along each of those squigles and make the rear of the bike feel wiggle independantly from the front. The M1s ignore those squiggles, so the rear end feels planted. I haven't tried the M1 at extreme lean angles yet, but I love it so far

I think most tyres would do this after some miles as they create a flat spot in the centre of the tyre. :2c:

Ratch, did you see your llist?

Diablo is on top even after almost 8 years life time!!! :bbblll:

One of the oldest tyre there and still on top. :thumbsup:

GUZZIS are born to wear Metzelers. Antonio, MGS are using them , so was also Dr John , in the older days, me too

Is this a considence?

I think most tyres would do this after some miles as they create a flat spot in the centre of the tyre. :2c:

I won't dispute that.

That said, though, my bike came with Pilot Powers. I've put two new rears on it. Its rear end felt wiggly when I got it and has until I put on the Metzeler. I thought the wiggliness was just a character trait of the V11 or of fat-tired bikes in general (this was my first V11 and first bike with modern doughnut tires, so I had no basis for comparison). I'm left to conclude now that the wiggliness is a characteristic of the Pilot Power. A conversation with a really good RSV pilot yesterday who uses PPs and has ridden the route I ride everyday confirmed that. He said, "Yeah, my bike squirms all through that tunnel. I've just learned to ignore it."

This is a funny observation. I have always been used to my skinny-tire bikes and scooters doing a shuffle dance crossing bridgegrates or grooved pavement. With the michelin pilots on my v11, it behaves exactly how I *expect* a motorcycle to behave on uneven pavement. That a tire might minimize the shimmy didn't even occur to me as a possiblity.

Glad you like the Metzler Greg.

I won't dispute that.

That said, though, my bike came with Pilot Powers. I've put two new rears on it. Its rear end felt wiggly when I got it and has until I put on the Metzeler. I thought the wiggliness was just a character trait of the V11 or of fat-tired bikes in general (this was my first V11 and first bike with modern doughnut tires, so I had no basis for comparison). I'm left to conclude now that the wiggliness is a characteristic of the Pilot Power. A conversation with a really good RSV pilot yesterday who uses PPs and has ridden the route I ride everyday confirmed that. He said, "Yeah, my bike squirms all through that tunnel. I've just learned to ignore it."

I have heared about this wigglyness before, and I suspect, it is mostly cause of the "slower" geometry radius of the Michelin compared with the equivalent Metzeler sport tire, with it's faster geometry.

"Yeah, my bike squirms all through that tunnel. I've just learned to ignore it."

Ahhh yes. Battery Street tunnel? I hate that thing! I cannot get used to the bike squirming around so much as I'm leaned over going into or out of there. I always feel like I'm hitting a patch of oil or grease that I can't see. :wacko: Maybe I'll go with the Metzelers next time too.

Ahhh yes. Battery Street tunnel? I hate that thing! I cannot get used to the bike squirming around so much as I'm leaned over going into or out of there. I always feel like I'm hitting a patch of oil or grease that I can't see. :wacko: Maybe I'll go with the Metzelers next time too.

Yes. Battery Street. It's completely drama-free on this Metzeler.

ZK: THere's a huge difference in how the skinnier tires handle on teel bridge grating. The Me 33s are the worst, in my experience. Me 880s are the best.

:2c:

About "Motorrad" magazine: That's by far the most overrated waste of paper there is in the world. If there is a BMW in a comparison test or whatever other german products they amazingly lose their objectivity. I take tests from "Motorrad" with a truck load of salt.

One thing they are right about: the Conti Road Attacks. Great tyres.

What kind of mileage do you get from the Conti's Jaap? My M1's (rear AND front) were worn out in less than 2500 miles and the rear BT020 has now gone the same way. Everywhere is a long ride from here,I cant afford to keep going through tyres at this rate.... :(