Front Main Seal; How do ya get it out?

Guest SoCalDon

Guest SoCalDon

Just picked one up.

I also got a pick thing.

The lever tool won't fit in there.

The pick is too thin and weak to pull it out.

Dental picks are the way to go. They are incredibly strong and resilient. I used to buy them surplus from the dental school at the University...no more. You might find out what UCLA or UCSD or whichever dental school is closest to you does with their used ones.

Do you pick from the Inner or Outer Diameter of the seal?

I am guessing the outer is too tight, but damaging the shaft would be my fear if working it out with tools digging at the ID.

Guest SoCalDon

I am guessing the outer is too tight, but damaging the shaft would be my fear if working it out with tools digging at the ID.

I'm thinking I'll do less damage if I take the cover off.

Time to find a gasket. :luigi:

Guest ratchethack

The lever tool won't fit in there.

Hm. Can't imagine why not, unless it's the wrong size for the job. :huh2:

You hook under and feel for "purchase" against solid steel, and as may be necessary, lever against a flat blade screwdriver or something else laid flat across the casting boss with a spacer (washer or what have you), so you aren't levering against the seal itself, and gently coax the seal out, one sector of the circle at a time, working around the diameter, and Robert's y'er Ma's favorite sibling. :huh2::luigi:

The late model ones are directional Viton seals and are superior to the earlier flurocarbon type. Another advantage of doing the job by pulling the cover is that it allows you to replace the o-ring inside the sleeve which is quite often the source of the original leak and seal the sprocket end of the sleeve with a smear of silicone.

pete

Inner, but I have been known to get frustrated and just cut a hole in the flat surface and use that to pull. I think one would have to try in order to damage the shaft.

Have to agree with previous- it's probably a better idea to go ahead and remove the cover.

Guest SoCalDon

Just got back from a MGC Drive by.

Mark and Fader gave me the hook up.

There is a small O-Ring under the sleave.

When I have the cover off the sleave comes off.

Then I'll put the new O-Ring on with some "The Right Stuff"

31Z7D3G0H8L._SS500_.jpg

If I don't screw it up it should come out great.

MGC_Logo.jpg