Odometer not working

scottybee

I've watched this thread for a while thinking I was lucky mine was still working. Then about a few days ago I noticed the total mileage reading on my speedo looked very familiar. I'm not certain how long it's been at 46670 but I'm thinking it's been a couple of months. I never noticed because the trip odometer and speedo functions still work.

Just one more thing on the list to do. :luigi:

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel so my bike projects have been backing up.

johnk

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it would work fine, but only if you use a cable with the Veglia end fittings, such as off of an earlier V11 Sport. This would mean fitting that wonky angle direve, though, and that brings its own problems . . .

OK, I knew I something was fishy. My '03 LeMans has the ITI instruments and the "wonky angle drive". I have the worst of both worlds. Is it possible that some V11's arrived with this bastard combination?

Ken

Your bike has ITIs and the angle drive on the transmission?

Yup! It's possible that the previous owner may have converted to the angle drive in an attempt to solve the speedo cable issue, but it's always left me scratching my head when I read a speedo thread. I don't think the cable will reach the transmission without the angle drive, but it might if I re-routed it. The thread on the transmission speedo output and the thread on angle drive output look to be the same. I installed a new angle drive last summer and got 8500 km out of it and now I have to replace it again. If I could get a reliable cable that would allow me to ditch the angle drive, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Ken

Yup! It's possible that the previous owner may have converted to the angle drive in an attempt to solve the speedo cable issue, but it's always left me scratching my head when I read a speedo thread. I don't think the cable will reach the transmission without the angle drive, but it might if I re-routed it. The thread on the transmission speedo output and the thread on angle drive output look to be the same. I installed a new angle drive last summer and got 8500 km out of it and now I have to replace it again. If I could get a reliable cable that would allow me to ditch the angle drive, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Ken

Most likely thats the case, someone made some modifications in an attempt to increase the cables life. The last cable I purchased has gone for 8000 miles, a current record for me.

I replaced my ITI with a used part from "Reboot Guzzi Spares" off a Nero Corsa being parted out. I think they are available through any dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest motomadness1947

Okay, I have a 2004 Calif EV Tourer II with the same problem. Speedo works fine, odometer does not move. This seems to have been a problem for years. Has MotoGuzzi done anything to get the manufacturer to make the new ones so this does not happen, can you get better replacement parts to fix if for a long term I have talked to a few folks at rallys that are on their third or fourth unit.

It is 2007 folks, how easy can it be? My 40 year old BSA has an Speedo/odometer that works just fine.

Any suggestion. (please not wise ass remarks)

motomadness1947

Try the late Ballabio cable. I've got nearly 10,000 miles on mine so far.

Hi Greg,

My notes show part number 01760481 for Cafe Sport and Ballabio, and

01760492 for LeMans, Nero Corsa and Rosso Corsa. Are these correct for the upgraded version?

Do these include the housing and internal cable as an assembly? It's the housing with the sharp bend on the earlier units that caused the premature failures.

Do you have this is stock? Please send me a personal message with price.

Thanks,

John

Don't know how I missed this one....

I had the exact same problem on my 2004 Le Mans earlier this year. Been waiting for months for a replacement under warranty, and the other day decided to take the existing one apart.

It seems the odo is turned by a worm on the speedo drive. It is this part that wears, until it no longer engages at all. It would appear to be quite a simple part to fabricate given the right hardware, but lacking a lathe or mill I'm in no position to try.

Incidentally, the fault first made itself apparent when the odo refused to register at speeds of above about 60, before getting worse.

Don't know how I missed this one....

I had the exact same problem on my 2004 Le Mans earlier this year. Been waiting for months for a replacement under warranty, and the other day decided to take the existing one apart.

It seems the odo is turned by a worm on the speedo drive. It is this part that wears, until it no longer engages at all. It would appear to be quite a simple part to fabricate given the right hardware, but lacking a lathe or mill I'm in no position to try.

Incidentally, the fault first made itself apparent when the odo refused to register at speeds of above about 60, before getting worse.

Someone had a post on repairing the worm gear with JB weld, I beleive this was a reliable fix and not to difficult. I hope to try it on my original speedo.

Someone had a post on repairing the worm gear with JB weld, I beleive this was a reliable fix and not to difficult. I hope to try it on my original speedo.

Thinking about it that does actually make sense. When and if the replacement arrives I may give that a whirl. In the mean time I'm more worried about the engine working than the odo of course.

I bought my 2002 Lemans a month ago with 10000 miles on her. Saturday it clicked to 12000 and the odometer stopped right there. I have been holding my breath waiting for something in the instruments to fail. I was told minimum $200 for repair. DOes anyone know how much a new one would cost? and how long a wait to get it? I looked at the back of the speedo and although I wasn't looking for them, I didn't see any pegs to push out. It looked like I would have to pry off the ring. HAs anyone every taken a white facec speedo apart? I'd like to try

Mine seems to roll over a little at city speeds but above 60 or so it stops. I'm hoping that something has worked loose or out of alignment. I'll tear into it tonight or tomorrow. Otherwise I'll see if someone can repair it. If not I guess I'll buy a new one. :bbblll: