Odometer not working

scottybee

I've read a few older posts about this but just wondered if any one else has had same problem.

First the odometer was just going slow then quit completely.

Is there any way to repair it? How much is a new speedo? Where can I get one new or used?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard there's a speedo repair shop in California. Maybe the California guys could chime in on that.

I know the Veglia (white face) speedo has a plastic worm gear inside that can trash, loosing the odometer while the speedo keeps on. Not sure about the later gauges.

Guest ratchethack

Scotty, the guys at PA Speedo are a World Class operation. They can service your ITI speedo (or send you somewhere that will) and I trust them implicitly. No, the "white face" Veglia Borletti speedo's are NOT the same.

http://www.paspeedo.com

Helmut and the boys will give you the straight info and Top Drawer service (if you're not in a terrific hurry, that is). . . It won't be cheap. But more'n likely well worth wotever they charge. ;)

BAA, TJM & YMMV.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd ask once more.

The guy's at PA Speedo were not able to help, They work on the Veglia but not ITI.

So I think I'm probably S.O.L. on this but just wanted to see if anyone has any new info.

I'f I do have to buy a new one, how much are they and where can I get one?

Guest ratchethack

Sorry to hear, Scotty. I'd be sincerely interested in knowing if they had a recommendation for you RE: service for the ITI?

Have you tried Ebay for a used unit?

Breakers/wreckers?

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear, Scotty. I'd be sincerely interested in knowing if they had a recommendation for you RE: service for the ITI?

No They didn't suggest anyone, but then I didn't ask either.

Have you tried Ebay for a used unit?

Not yet. but I will

Breakers/wreckers?

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks

I've read a few older posts about this but just wondered if any one else has had same problem.

Is there any way to repair it? How much is a new speedo? Where can I get one new or used?

I bought one at Teo Lamers, but it wasn't cheap. This is from my receipt:

017615600000 MP 38 KILOMETERTELLER V11 COPPA ITALIA € 143,74 (euros). Since then, the price has increased to € 153,72 . Caution: The p/n above is for a metric unit. I can't find the listing for an imperial unit, but I'm sure they can provide one. If you view their webshop catalog, the prices shown include the domestic VAT (value added tax), but when they export, they don't have to charge this. When you click on the individual items, you will see the price with and without VAT, which is almost a whoppin' 20%. The unit I purchased did not include the crappy odometer reset knob or the rubber gasket that surrounds it, so I had to transfer these items from my old one.

Ken

That's a good question, because the Veglias on my other Guzzis have performed flawlessly, whilst the trip odometer on my Nero Corsa quit at about 10k miles...

I always liked the white-faced Veglias, anyway...

:food:

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone come up with any info regarding fixing these odometers? Mine starting acting up today with only 8900 miles on the clock. Under 60 mph it owuld run slow and above that it would not turnover. Will the speedo cable have anything to do with it?

Dave :angry:

I've fixed a few of them. I do it in my garage, on my own time, so I could not garantee when I could get to it. I have a lot of projects stacked up. They're very easy to disassemble and sometimes easy to fix, though. Sometimes the metal cases are put together sloppily, so all you need to do is push them into alignment again. If plastic gears are broken, fixing it means finding parts. I have a few parts speedos laying around, but I may or may not have the part you need. If you wnat to try it yourself, I can show you a few tricks. If you want me to do it and can live with my scheduling uncertainties, I'll have a look.

Greg,

I am interested in taking a peek myself. The quotes I have are a bit pricey. PM me some of the details of what's involved. If you have pictures and some of the things to look for I'd appreciate it. What has been the most common reason for the failure? Thanks.

Dave :thumbsup:

The only tricky part is to get off the ring and lens without breaking them. To do it, you'll need a thin punch. Turn over the instrument and look at the back of the ring support on the case. You'll see 8 or so this "pegs" from the ring that go through holes in the white plastic case. Your punch must be thinner than these pegs. One at a time, carefully start to push out the pegs. Do just a little bit at a time, then a little on the next, and so on. If you do it right, the ring will soon pop off undamaged. If the lens is still attached, us a very thin blade to carefully separate it from the body.

Those two things accomplished, remove the reset knob and the two screws at the back, and pull the works out of the case. I then chuck up a peice of an old speedo cable in my cordless drill and use it to spin the speedo while I watch the works. You will quickly see the problem—either a stripped gear or a warped metal frame that keeps the worm gear too far out from the pinion.

That should give you a start . . .