Odometer not working

scottybee

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Greg,

My notes show part number 01760481 for Cafe Sport and Ballabio, and

01760492 for LeMans, Nero Corsa and Rosso Corsa. Are these correct for the upgraded version?

Do these include the housing and internal cable as an assembly? It's the housing with the sharp bend on the earlier units that caused the premature failures.

Do you have this is stock? Please send me a personal message with price.

Thanks,

John

Yes, those are the right part numbers. We do have them.

I bought my 2002 Lemans a month ago with 10000 miles on her. Saturday it clicked to 12000 and the odometer stopped right there. I have been holding my breath waiting for something in the instruments to fail. I was told minimum $200 for repair. DOes anyone know how much a new one would cost? and how long a wait to get it? I looked at the back of the speedo and although I wasn't looking for them, I didn't see any pegs to push out. It looked like I would have to pry off the ring. HAs anyone every taken a white facec speedo apart? I'd like to try

There are no pegs on that one. You have to pry off the ring. Do that, and have a look. It sometimes is something simple. If you need a specific part, I may have a donor with that part still operable.

I am presently repairing my "spare" speedometer as an eventual replacement using the JB weld repair. Its fussy work for sure but it should work ok as long as the JB weld holds up, we shall see. I picked up my current speedo from Reboot Guzzi Spares as I couldn't get a new one at the time. Good to know you can purchase a new one if needed.

Hal

There are no pegs on that one. You have to pry off the ring. Do that, and have a look. It sometimes is something simple. If you need a specific part, I may have a donor with that part still operable.

Greg, I found a slightly beat up speedo to play with. We'll see if I can get the beat up one apart and then I'll take a stab at my non-working unit. You seem to be pretty up on this subject. DO you know if you can still get new white faced speedos for the V11?? I would imagine they cost an arm and a leg

Thanks

• 6 months later...

I can't believe it. I noticed this morning that my odometer has stopped working. The speedo was still OK so I figured I'll get to this when I have time. Later during my ride I glanced back down and now the speedo no longer works!

Looks like a lot of us got screwed with some real crap instruments. I only have 8600 miles on the bike. This really concerns me. The dealer that sold me my Aprilia used to be a Moto Guzzi dealer but dropped the brand. He said that the last three they sold were all lemon lawed and warned me that I would have problems with mine. I hope this is not a sign of things to come!

Anyway I have a 2004 Coppa Italia. I haven't got a chance to take a good look yet but I have a few questions. First, what is a "wonky angle drive" and how do I tell if I have one of these cable types?

Second, what is the best solution here? I noticed a fix involving the use of some JB Weld but this looks very tedious and time consuming. I think replacing the instrument cluster with the same model would be a waste of time since it seems they are crap to begin with.

I am curious how others wound up fixing theirs.

Thanks,

what is the best solution here? I noticed a fix involving the use of some JB Weld but this looks very tedious and time consuming. I think replacing the instrument cluster with the same model would be a waste of time since it seems they are crap to begin with.

I am curious how others wound up fixing theirs.

Thanks,

Acquire a new speedo from your dealer, take it apart and lube it before installation.

Contact Greg at Moto International. He has been repairing these and may work a swap with you.

You have plenty of options.

Read this thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13045

Ok. I think I have a clue here. On my lunch break I disconnected the cable from the back of the speedo housing. All that seems to go into the housing is a long, thin, square shaped rod. I rode the bike around the parking lot while observing the end of the cable (the rod). It was not spinning at all (as I assume it should be).

So it sounds like my cable is broken. Does this sound correct? If so, can anyone explain why the gauge failed incrementally (first the odo and then the speedo) instead of all at once? Also, any tips on where I can locate a replacement cable? I live in New Jersey U.S..

Thanks

The odometers are known to fail in the 8,000 to 10,000 mile range. Mine failed at just over 10,000 miles.

The broken cable is a freak deal and coincidental to your odometer failure. I've never had a speedo cable fail on a Guzzi, but I hear about it occasionally.

You'll get speedy service from MPH Cycles in Houston or Moto International in Seattle. There are others.

OK. I removed the speedo cable from the trany end and discovered that it has broken right about where it takes that sharp bend. I then removed the conector from the instrument cluster end and tried to spin the cable by hand. Obviously I could not spin it very fast but I coud get it fast enough to see the speedometer needle start to move. I think if I replace the cable I will at least get my speedometer back. Not sure about the odometer though.

I really don't want to take the cluster apart. If it comes to that I'll post my progress.

I've fixed a few of them. I do it in my garage, on my own time, so I could not garantee when I could get to it. I have a lot of projects stacked up. They're very easy to disassemble and sometimes easy to fix, though. Sometimes the metal cases are put together sloppily, so all you need to do is push them into alignment again. If plastic gears are broken, fixing it means finding parts. I have a few parts speedos laying around, but I may or may not have the part you need. If you wnat to try it yourself, I can show you a few tricks. If you want me to do it and can live with my scheduling uncertainties, I'll have a look.

I haven't found the white faced units "easy" to disassemble. You have to pry off the metal ring no? I could never figure out how to do it without ruining it.

And on that repair shop mentioned above. They wanted $200 to look at mine, plus whatever they found on top of that. For that amount, I just bought a new one. I can't remember, bu it may have even been cheaper than a repair. I now have my broken one, and one I picked up from a wreck that is a little beat up. I had hoped to use it for parts to fix mine, and a new one I bought.