cheesewedge_350.jpg

I've come across these wedges and I'm struck by the tremendous versatility of both the shape and the material. 'Out of the box', it's firm yet has a nice compliance and comes 'pre-drilled', giving, what could we call it? well, a sot of 'cushiness'. I can't help but feel that this material would prove very useful to the home mechanic and should be a part of every bicyclist's garage store.

Although this material could easily be modified for various usage, there must be an obvious application for these rubbery wedges, just as they are. I can't quite think what it would be, but I'm sure that someone out there will immediately light-up with a brilliant idea.

(Someone used it to make a bike helmet :cheese: (an American I think) but I don't like that idea. Debate it's merits though, by all means.)

Anyone interested in a group buy?

Anyone interested in a group buy?

Not a chance! Read the following and you will understand.

They say "Good wine, long life!"

But a new research at Queen's University points out the fact that the notion of "natural" foods may hide a high risk for cancer.

Actually, some common foods and alcoholic beverages like wine, cheese, yogurt and bread present some minute levels of carcinogens (cancer inducing compounds) and

a balanced varied diet is a better choice.

The team discovered that a naturally-occurring carcinogen, vinyl carbamate, from alcoholic beverages and fermented foods provokes DNA mutations, that translate to abnormal cell growth and lung cancer; but that also shows a garlic compound significantly decreases these changes.

Vinyl carbamate is a derived of ethyl carbamate (urethane), a by-product of fermentation encountered in alcoholic beverages, and fermented foods like cheese, yogurt and bread but also in tobacco.

The substance is now characterized as a potential human carcinogen by both the World Health Organization and the International Agency for Research on Cancer, but urethane was given inadvertently to millions of Japanese patients, between 1950 and 1975, in analgesic and sedative drugs.

It is thought that the total dose of urethane administered to a 60-kilogram patient was roughly 0.6 to 3.0 grams, the largest dose on record of a pure carcinogen delivered directly to people.

In 1985, Health and Welfare Canada imposed limits on the urethane contained in Canadian alcoholic beverages, but not in the imported ones. "The problem is how to regulate the levels in imported goods," said lead researcher Dr. Poh-Gek Forkert of Queen's Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology.

The research team administered to mice a single high dose of the carcinogenic chemical, whilst human exposure is over long periods, perhaps over a lifetime, in lower amounts. "We believe that people should not be apprehensive about consuming these foods and beverages: if consumed at low levels, they probably don't pose a risk. It might be prudent, however, to have a varied diet and to limit drinking certain alcoholic beverages. And include garlic!" said Dr. Forkert.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Wine-Can-In...cer-49013.shtml

So, no more wine, cheese or urethane for me....back to consuming gasoline :drink:, garlic :cheese: and rubber :race: instead.

:D:D

You're a sick man, BelfastGuzzi......

Søren

Not a chance! Read the following and you will understand.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Wine-Can-In...cer-49013.shtml

So, no more wine, cheese or urethane for me....back to consuming gasoline :drink:, garlic :cheese: and rubber :race: instead.

Dr. Poh-Gek Forkert!

What does he know!

Oh yeah...that stuff up above... right, hmm

But perhaps the use of wedges in motorcycle applications is ok – as long as we don't eat them? :food:

Nice find Belfast but I'm affraid that the hole spacing and diameters are all wrong <_ i sure that the end result of using these will up with rear drive train covered in sticky smeggy mess all imaginable consequances ...pity poor road useers behind you src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue2.gif" alt=":P:">

Now , if we can get a batch made up with the right holes in them .... I'd still stay with my modded guzzi bits :lol:

Whats the odds on this thread running for at least 5 pages ???!!!! :grin:

Chris

PS :Any one tried distilling their own fuel yet ????

Ask Pete Roper. He likes yellow.

Yak cheese.

Good fat content.

Self-lubricating properties.

Could be the very thing.

a well recognised and published scientist recognised by his piers,

Ratchet hasn't made his contribution. Yet.

Perhaps he couldn't resist and – ate the trial samples

Re the holes. I thought the interesting this is how they don't go right through the wedge, so it seems a good compromise between cushiness and maintaining structural integrity.

How do they drill holes in the middle of the material without leaving entry / exit holes on the surface? I haven't been able to replicate this on the bodge bench.

Ratchet hasn't made his contribution. Yet.

Perhaps he couldn't resist and – ate the trial samples

Re the holes. I thought the interesting this is how they don't go right through the wedge, so it seems a good compromise between cushiness and maintaining structural integrity.

How do they drill holes in the middle of the material without leaving entry / exit holes on the surface? I haven't been able to replicate this on the bodge bench.

Do they have piers in canyon land?

Holes in the centres of wedges are "beamed" out, a la USS Enterprise. Makes for a rather expensive dessert trolley but allows the proprietor to hammer the resulting globules together into new wedges. Which then have their centres "beamed" out and so on.

Do they have piers in canyon land?

It appears that that's the land where anything is possible. I'll peer into the research & see if I can validate it.

Holes in the centres of wedges are "beamed" out, a la USS Enterprise. Makes for a rather expensive dessert trolley but allows the proprietor to hammer the resulting globules together into new wedges.

So wedges have been trialled in dessert trolleys? Small wheels, but I suppose you gotta start somewhere. Start with experiments on mice, then move on to Prince Charles, kind of thing.

The spine frame – that was developed from the flexi-lamp?

It appears that that's the land where anything is possible. I'll peer into the research & see if I can validate it.

So wedges have been trialled in dessert trolleys? Small wheels, but I suppose you gotta start somewhere. Start with experiments on mice, then move on to Prince Charles, kind of thing.

The spine frame – that was developed from the flexi-lamp?

I thought researchers were supposed to review piers? I'm getting confused. Again.

Dessert trolleys have to have smooth take up of the drive, otherwise you may suffer souffle collapse horror or fool separation. The former is not recommended after a heavy meal or, indeed, at any time. The latter may have some advantages.

Mice to Prince Charles? Isn't that going the wrong way?

It's flexi because the oil system breathes into it. If you route the breather somewhere else, it rusts up nice and solid in a month or so. Less, in an English summer.