SCURA PREVIOUS OWNER HELP PLEASE

GED 01

hi im new to the forum,and what a great place it is,im due to collect my new bike on saturday its a 2002 scura,so i thought i would read up on this model [i used to own a LARIO 2 YRS AGO] and to be honest i feel a bit depressed know as ive read about the clutch or is it flywheel that self distructs and gear selector spring

anyhow i would like to try and trace the previous owner ,,i dont have the log book yet so cant contact him at this moment in time,the bike reistation is DU52 VBE i bought it from moto strada west yorkshire the bike has done 8000 miles and its one owner from new its fitted with MG titanium cans the only member i can find from west yorks is moscowphil ive tried to pm him but im not sure if iwas succesful,it would be nice to hear from the previous owner to see if its had a upgrade done to the fly /clutch plus ask him as he got the spare keys [lol] keep up the good work excellent informative forum cheers Ged 01

hi im new to the forum,and what a great place it is,im due to collect my new bike on saturday its a 2002 scura,so i thought i would read up on this model [i used to own a LARIO 2 YRS AGO] and to be honest i feel a bit depressed know as ive read about the clutch or is it flywheel that self distructs and gear selector spring

anyhow i would like to try and trace the previous owner ,,i dont have the log book yet so cant contact him at this moment in time,the bike reistation is DU52 VBE i bought it from moto strada west yorkshire the bike has done 8000 miles and its one owner from new its fitted with MG titanium cans the only member i can find from west yorks is moscowphil ive tried to pm him but im not sure if iwas succesful,it would be nice to hear from the previous owner to see if its had a upgrade done to the fly /clutch plus ask him as he got the spare keys [lol] keep up the good work excellent informative forum cheers Ged 01

Almost certainly the clutch will be the original one. Don't be afraid. It's a fine bike.

It would be worth finding out if the 'pawl' spring under the transmission cover has been replaced though. IT is the bit that's likely to have either broken or will break, but the cause is now known and it's a fairly easy fix.

If it has the MG Ti pipes it should have the replacement 'Race' ECU under the seat too. Nice.

Maybe you could ask Moto Strada to check the pawl spring and replace it if necessary before you collect it: maybe delay collection to allow time for the job? The pawl arm and the spring should both be replaced, though if you do a home fix, you could file down the boss on the pawl arm. Easier, though, to get both the parts as a kit and install.

yes its got the marelli ? race ecu [think thats right ] under the seat,sounds really good, just a bit on a downer cos ive just registered and it seems bad news all the way i expected quality problems from my 23 yr old lario but not from a bike less than 5yrs old ....thought guzzi had got it sorted,cheers for the rely

Hey there GED ol chap, steady on now.............

You've got one heck of a nice bike there that MIGHT have a couple of very minor issues that should be checked out. Who knows, they may already be taken care of? If not, get them sorted and don't look back.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers! :bier:

Ged,

Re clutch: There is plenty evidence here re failures. I am replacing mine which works great & showed no symptoms of failure at 19,000m. This is cos pos consequences of failure is for me too great. When I removed flywheel, tho it doesn't appear to be cracked (I have still to get a shop to crack test it), it was marking up at same places where others have shown cracks.

Have you talked with Moto Strada re your concerns about flywheel? From what I have heard they are a good shop.

As said above gearbox spring is fairly minor issue now we understand it, & is common problem in all V11's of this period.

Seems to me V11's were produced at a time when MG had a lot of problems & this is reflected in stop gap engineering solutions & patchy quality control. Having said that they are a good looking bike, work pretty good & are a very pleasant ride.

KB :sun:

Ged,

Re clutch: There is plenty evidence here re failures. I am replacing mine which works great & showed no symptoms of failure at 19,000m. This is cos pos consequences of failure is for me too great. When I removed flywheel, tho it doesn't appear to be cracked (I have still to get a shop to crack test it), it was marking up at same places where others have shown cracks.

Have you talked with Moto Strada re your concerns about flywheel? From what I have heard they are a good shop.

As said above gearbox spring is fairly minor issue now we understand it, & is common problem in all V11's of this period.

Seems to me V11's were produced at a time when MG had a lot of problems & this is reflected in stop gap engineering solutions & patchy quality control. Having said that they are a good looking bike, work pretty good & are a very pleasant ride.

KB :sun:

Look, I've just bought one of these horrible bits of shit. Why? because although the factory or it's assorted bean-counting minions seems to have stuffed up big time with a couple of components they still bristle with the sort of bling most motorbikes would die for!

Yes, I know, in this day and age, blah-blah, expect quality, blah blah, inexcusable in an 'X' $ motorbike, blah-blah. OK so do some research and you'll soon find out enough to scare the pants off anyone who wants a boring conveyance or even a pose-mobile for Sunday mornings. No sympathy there. If, on the other hand you actually want a Moto Guzzi spine frame I can think of few more desirable models. Given the fact I'm probably going to have a problem getting my Scura in to Oz I think transporting the whole sorry box and dice into a 'Short Spine' bought locally will give me just about my ideal Spiney. Mind you I'm a know-nothing idiot. If I were you I'd sell it on quick and buy an 'onda! (This is a suggestion at humour. No offence is intended. :rolleyes: )

Pete

thanks for the replies dont get me wrong im not anti guzzi or a grouch,im 38 been on the road 22 yrs and im pretty clued up on bikes even on the older guzzis ,but i know very little about the neweer ones,and if i wanted a nonda i would of bought one fact is ive just sold my yzf750r and r1 why cos once youve got used to there performance and superb handlin then theres nothing else left there great on a race track but how many times do you go on track ,there a pain around town ,commuting and anything further than a 30mile sprint ,i suppose what im trying to say is there great bikes but souless,thats why i got rid and went back to guzzi,

but the point i tried to make was how can a bike like the scura with all its fancy clobber its unique"ness,its styling its sound its road pressence be plagued with things like a brocken spring cos some numpty cant tell the differance between 16.5 mm and 15mm,its a flawed diamond ,its like cameron diaz growing a beard :o

ive not even got the bike and already in love with it its just a shame that its got its niggles,,,but i will know more tomorrow,when i pick it up and give it going over,cheers

well it finally happend :drink: i picked up my scura this morning :D:D:D wow,it was everything i expected and then some,from the moment i pressed the starter and it shook its head as it warmed up, it was love at first sight

the pluses,comfy for tall riders

bucket loads of real world torque

small fairing suprisingly effective at motorway speeds [85ish mph]

the MG TI CANS the sound,,,,,,,,,, awsome

its looks,,,,,,,, turns heads where ever i go

the gearbox since when has guzzi made a gearbox soooo slick

clutch single plate,,,,,,, its light action and very precise i dont find it grabby at all ive not stalled it once even in very heavy traffic

and guess what it had the gear selector spring and shaft changed last year for the correct spec no more breaks :D

the only down side is the handling,very very twitchy fornt end feels like it s on 16in rims,and its soooo soft,going to spend some time tomorrow setting it up,,b4 i bought the guzz i looked at a ,tuono, falco,buell,suzi sv1000,

am i glad i bought the guzzi feckin right :thumbsup:

I don't like to be a pariah, but...... :oldgit:

Put a clutch replacement high on the priority list, if as likely, it is the original Scura unit.

I replaced mine with a V10 ten spring twin plate...

Barely perceptable loss of eagerness on acceleration........Acres more peace of mind! :wub:

Nige. B)

I don't like to be a pariah, but...... :oldgit:

Put a clutch replacement high on the priority list, if as likely, it is the original Scura unit.

I replaced mine with a V10 ten spring twin plate...

Barely perceptable loss of eagerness on acceleration........Acres more peace of mind! :wub:

Nige. B)

had your clutch gone,at what mileage