Version 2 against version 3

Mario

I have today bought a brand new (left over from 2004) Cafe Sport with Öhlins suspension.

Last year I bought a brand new (left over red/gray 2002-3 Le Mans) and I think its a wonderful bike. Just came home from Mandello del Lario, a tour of 3 500 km.

For many years i have loved the V11 but then in 2003 when I bought a motorcycle again after many years without (had a big crash in 2005) I wen`t and bought a Triumph instead!! Luckily I have now managed to buy two new V11, god is really good.

Now to my question, i haven´t driven the Cafe Sport yet and I`m wondering, are there bif difference in how the engine feels? Any other big differences?

I believe the engine is no different, but the sitting position will be much friendlier on the later Sport and the suspension should make a noticable improvement.

We are waiting for you ride reports! :bike::race:

I agree with Docc. The Ohlins suspension is a big improvement and the Cafe's tubular upright bars are (at least for me) much more comfortable than the LeMans clip-ons. The clutch may be different (?), but the engine is the same ol' luvable lump :race:

Enjoy. :rasta:

I agree with Docc. The Ohlins suspension is a big improvement and the Cafe's tubular upright bars are (at least for me) much more comfortable than the LeMans clip-ons. The clutch may be different (?), but the engine is the same ol' luvable lump :race:

Enjoy. :rasta:

As you probably already had understand, my crash was in 1985 and not 2005. Anyway, what was realy my question was about the engine. I know the 2004 model has higher compression, catalysator etc...but how does the 2004 engine feels, is it stronger/weaker, in the low/high rpms... are there less vibrations due to the changes, is it qiucker/slower, is it smoother...

Mario

As you probably already had understand, my crash was in 1985 and not 2005. Anyway, what was realy my question was about the engine. I know the 2004 model has higher compression, catalysator etc...but how does the 2004 engine feels, is it stronger/weaker, in the low/high rpms... are there less vibrations due to the changes, is it qiucker/slower, is it smoother...

Mario

dynocharts have shown the newer engine to have more mid-range.

I don't recall if the low end also benefits.

The high end was about the same.

I am surprised there really have not been many comparisons made.

Maybe in this thread EDIT Motoguzznix post 52 looks interesting

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=compression

dynocharts have shown the newer engine to have more mid-range.

I don't recall if the low end also benefits.

The high end was about the same.

I am surprised there really have not been many comparisons made.

Maybe in this thread EDIT Motoguzznix post 52 looks interesting

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=compression

If I'm reading it right, I think the OP is referring to the difference between an '02 V11 & his new '04. No difference in powerplants beyond the addition of the front x-over [to control the 4-5k rpm hole in the powerband] & the change to the fuel-pump/gas tank/etc. to cure the vapor-lock issues, so the only "power difference" would be resulting from different TPS settings & valve lash settings [ie, initial setup + wear & tear/breakin...]

:mg:

If I'm reading it right, I think the OP is referring to the difference between an '02 V11 & his new '04. No difference in powerplants beyond the addition of the front x-over [to control the 4-5k rpm hole in the powerband] & the change to the fuel-pump/gas tank/etc. to cure the vapor-lock issues, so the only "power difference" would be resulting from different TPS settings & valve lash settings [ie, initial setup + wear & tear/breakin...]

They also raised engine compression in the models with the front crossover.

But yah the gains are small and could have simply been a variation of state of tune.

Losing the 4-5k hole is certainly a good thing, but having exhaust leaks and cracks there does not seem to be worth the trade off.

They also raised engine compression in the models with the front crossover.

But yah the gains are small and could have simply been a variation of state of tune.

Losing the 4-5k hole is certainly a good thing, but having exhaust leaks and cracks there does not seem to be worth the trade off.

I can't recall if it was Greg or Pete who stated at one point that the "increased compression" was almost certainly pure advertising dept. hyperbole, since none of the relevant part #s had changed in the pre- or post-'03 engines, but I do seem to recall seeing that around here somewhere... :huh2:

I'm in agreement w/ you on the observation that the smoother powerband isn't worth the added failure points in the ex-line, esp. as it seems the real culprit is the dang pre-muffler [much as the predecessors to the V11, the 1100 Spot/Sporti had been plagued by the "colostomy bag" plenum that similarly upset the powerband.]

I'd rather see if the Griso headers can be retrofit to the V11 and get a proper 2->1->2 exhaust than shell out the ducats for RacerX's lovely replacments for the stock units, but that's just me. Fortunately, I haven't the need to do any of that yet, which is a lucky thing since I'm broke... ;)

I can't recall if it was Greg or Pete who stated at one point that the "increased compression" was almost certainly pure advertising dept. hyperbole, since none of the relevant part #s had changed in the pre- or post-'03 engines, but I do seem to recall seeing that around here somewhere... :huh2:

I'm in agreement w/ you on the observation that the smoother powerband isn't worth the added failure points in the ex-line, esp. as it seems the real culprit is the dang pre-muffler [much as the predecessors to the V11, the 1100 Spot/Sporti had been plagued by the "colostomy bag" plenum that similarly upset the powerband.]

I'd rather see if the Griso headers can be retrofit to the V11 and get a proper 2->1->2 exhaust than shell out the ducats for RacerX's lovely replacments for the stock units, but that's just me. Fortunately, I haven't the need to do any of that yet, which is a lucky thing since I'm broke... ;)

That may be true about the compression????? There is a change in piston/cylinder part numbers but I think it is occured much earlier, as the change appears in the pre-2002 parts catalog :huh2: 2003 was a transition year and part numbers might not have made it to the 2003 parts catalog where there is no sign of higher compression or enhanced oil cooling/lubing. I have not found a 2004 parts catalog.

Not sure what you mean about the Griso headers. They are two into one, not two into one into two, right?

Not sure what you mean about the Griso headers. They are two into one, not two into one into two, right?

Yes, the stock Griso headers mated w/ the g#dawful ash-can exhaust is 2->1; Griso headers mated to a V11 w/ a suitably ingenious collector would retain the stock classic good looks of the dual exhaust, & so be 2-1-2... Think of Enzo's "Cobra" exhaust, only w/ auditory acceptability and using a preponderance of factory parts [always a good thing when trying to sneak it past the ever-zealous gendarmerie...]

:thumbsup:

:luigi:

:bike: