again: heavier bar ends

huub

Sorry to re-introduce such an old topic. I'm looking for heavier bar ends (v11 sport from 2000) and after some research on this forum I think there are two options: the throttlemaster and the magic salamander. I think the salamander looks nicer, but on their site I read also that they will not fit in the aluminium bars???!!! Or do I get this wrong?

Huub

Why do you want heavier bar ends?? Drop the forks a bit if the turn-in is too slow!!! :bike:

Seriously... if it's handle bar buzz that you are trying to kill, fill the bar(s) with #6 lead bird shot. (not steel)

There is a third option. Moto International (I work there) offers a set of weights and adapters that are about 1 lb. each, black powdercoated. A pair costs $55.

Hi Greg,

I was on the site of moto international, but couldn't find a picture of it. How do they look? Price seems ok to me. You install them often on the v11's?

Huub

Problem is Brian that in Europe (Netherlands) lead shot is not readily available on every corner as it is in the US.

(Just a warning... if this turns out in a gun thread I'll close before you can spell NRA)

Indeed, lead shot is not easy available here.

And another problem is that both my clipons aren't hollow inside on the full length. The right one is hollow for about 8 centimeters and the left one maybe for 3 or 4 centimeters. Not much lead will go in there, I think.

Huub

I'm running BarEnder helmet locks. You get some function along with the extra weight. Aerostitch sells them. They made a significant difference. Although there are still some vibes lurking in there, it's not annoying. I don't get any numbness unless I'm on a long, cold ride. My circulation isn't quite what it was 30 years ago; especially so since my fingers have approached the frostbite threshold on a couple of occasions.

Ken

Yes, on many V11s. Here's a pic:

PICT0042-1.jpg

Greg, they sure look fine! But I see that they are used with a mirror. Does that mean that there's always some space between the bar end and the grip? Or can you push them further in when you're not using such mirrors? Or are there maybe other types too?

Huub

I'm running BarEnder helmet locks. You some function along with the extra weight. Aerostitch sells them. They made a significant difference. Although there are still some vibes lurking in there, it's not annoying. I don't get any numbness unless I'm on a long, cold ride. My circulation isn't quite what it was 30 years ago; especially so since my fingers have approached the frostbite threshold on a couple of occasions.

Ken

Ken, never seen them before. Looks quite handy, if it's not raining... :) Do you know how heavy they are?

Huub

Yes, on many V11s. Here's a pic:

PICT0042-1.jpg

It looks to me like they inserted a spacer for the mirror, between the handle bar and the bar-end piece. I lathed a band in mine for the mirror clamp.

For what it's worth, I found that mirror insufficient for traffic and returned to the stockers.

Ken, never seen them before. Looks quite handy, if it's not raining... :) Do you know how heavy they are?

Huub

I'm not sure and there was no spec offered, but I guess they're about 12 oz. (340g). They are 32mm dia. at the grip tapering down to 30mm dia. x 38mm long. They are similar in appearance to the original "Salamander" bar end weights, until you get close enough to see the lock. The one that Greg has pictured above looks to be heavier. Many of these bar ends have a fairly long stem inside the bar, so you may have to drill your left side bar deeper. My bike has the Verlicchi "swan neck" bar kit, so the bars are like regular steel tubular handlebars. I'm not sure about the earlier V11's, but the original clip-ons from my bike are 16mm I.D. The "BarEnders" can be purchased to fit 5/8" I.D. which translates to 15.875mm. Close enough! I'm not sure about "Salamanders" or any other brand.

Ken

I know the salamanders will fit into either, as I have a 00' and replaced one side after it got knocked over in a parking lot with a newer one, the newer bars are hollow the older ones are half solid and half hallow, now the hallow ones are way worse for vibes, I may need to add some birdshot to the throttle side even with my massive salamanders. :huh2:

Might get the tapered "dragonfly" style ones for the Ape as there is a little vibe in'em that some weights could help smooth out. :luigi:

Problem is Brian that in Europe (Netherlands) lead shot is not readily available on every corner as it is in the US.

(Just a warning... if this turns out in a gun thread I'll close before you can spell NRA)

:thumbsup: you tell'em Jaap !! :D

if we want to discuss real "proper" violence, go to the "who's going to win the World Rugby Cup" thread

As for bar shake, l've never really had a problem with that on the :wub: Tenni,

maybe the short bars on the LeMans don't shake as bad??

:bier:

Cheers

Van

I used a spacer to space the barends out for the mirrors. They fit tightly to the grips otherwise.

Greg,

Great! I would like to order a pair. Can I do that with you or should I contact Motor International? See also the massage I did send you.

Huub