selling bmw gs to buy V11

Guest timbo

I presently ride a Bmw gs 1150 (among others) and it is about to go on sale so that i can purchase a V11

am I mad?

Never ridden a V11 am i in for a surprise pleasant or otherwise?

I use my bikes for work, pleasure and longer trips 2up.

Whatcha reckon?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

try before you buy. V11 is different to the Boxer.

I dont think it can be very comfy riding two up on the Guz compared to the GS.

I sold a nearly new R1150R in order to buy the Guzzi because the Beemer just became plain boring. It also had an awful riding position and a lot of high freq vibes when travelling far. Very tiring. Do I regret? No. Firing the Guzzi up in the garage is always an event. It erupts with a KABOOM and turns heads like no Beemer. (Its also an event cause I'm never quite sure it'll start...)

The guzzi is a hugely involving bike, some days its bliss other days you curse the ground it rattles on. You have to get under its skin, and its important to have the suspension and engine sorted and tailored for you. It might feel like a pig first time you drive it (mine did), but it can be sorted (mine is now).

Its easy to work on, even I with my twelve thumbs has been tinkering and fixing things.

Its not very fast, you have to work it to make it go. Smooth lines and careful braking does it.

Its noisy, but I like that. Its exclusive, a surprisingly small number was produced.

The finish and surface treatment on it is a joke, italians dont like surfaces.

Its a mans bike.

Buy!

I presently ride a Bmw gs 1150 (among others) and it is about to go on sale so that i can purchase a V11

am I mad?

Whatcha reckon?

I think you shoud keep your bwm and be happy. buy a v11 you wont.

am I mad?

Whatcha reckon?

It really depends on the year and model your thinking of getting, the Ohlins suspension versions are best as unless you fit a proper hugger our climate kills the Sachs Shock due to the spray off the rear wheel being directed right at the lower mounting joint (its not very good anyway :bbblll: )

Its a bit like owning a classic car instead of a modern car, if you are happy to get grease under your fingernails then you will really enjoy fixing the odd thing that crops up :mg: ,

if however you get someone else to spanner for you then you may find it expensive and irritating.

I've got a 2001/2002 model Lemans and really like it, but I keep my bikes for years (14 and counting for my Ducati) and enjoy working on them as much as riding them as do most people here.

Let us know exactly what model / year your thinking of getting and others will give their :2c:

Well, thinking of going slightly older and keeping a bit of cash from the sale of the gs to finish finally the rebuilds on my Gsxr750H and my 350lc, so circa 2000 W reg, dont mind working on bikes as have owned 60s bonnies before and started out the hard way 20+ years ago with old jap 4s.

I love the grunt of the gs but want some thing I can love not just ride, something involving and they are the coolest bikes going.

Well, thinking of going slightly older and keeping a bit of cash from the sale of the gs to finish finally the rebuilds on my Gsxr750H and my 350lc, so circa 2000 W reg, dont mind working on bikes as have owned 60s bonnies before and started out the hard way 20+ years ago with old jap 4s.

I love the grunt of the gs but want some thing I can love not just ride, something involving and they are the coolest bikes going.

well, then. you should be ok with a 2000 Sport, so whats keeping you? :mg:

how about this

http://www.promotorcyclesalvage.co.uk/

it used to belong to oldtoolie on this forum

Hi Timbo

Guzzis are an aquired taste - either you love them or you loathe them; nothing in between.

A V11 has character (some call it flaws) and as Mdude says it needs a little TLC now and then. Having said that it doesn't mean that the bike will break down under you whilst driving but it has a few electrical gremlins. Once sorted (relays, fuses) you'll have a bike which will leave you with a big grin on your face everytime you ride it.

I'm mechanically challenged myself but haven't been left stranded so far (24.000km). I love my Scura - I couldn't imagine having another motorcycle - so give it a try. Try to see if you can blag a ride from a V11 owner first; they are different from any other motorcycle brand.

Best wishes

Søren

I recently bought my first Guzzi, a pristine 97 sport 1100i. I am having a blast with it and love the looks of it. I don't think I would give up either of my BMWs for it though. That raises the big question of if only one bike, which one. I don't want to go there. :bike:

Hi Timbo

Guzzis are an aquired taste - either you love them or you loathe them; nothing in between.

A V11 has character (some call it flaws) and as Mdude says it needs a little TLC now and then. Having said that it doesn't mean that the bike will break down under you whilst driving but it has a few electrical gremlins. Once sorted (relays, fuses) you'll have a bike which will leave you with a big grin on your face everytime you ride it.

I'm mechanically challenged myself but haven't been left stranded so far (24.000km). I love my Scura - I couldn't imagine having another motorcycle - so give it a try. Try to see if you can blag a ride from a V11 owner first; they are different from any other motorcycle brand.

Best wishes

Søren

Hi Soren,

Just curious.....I am a new V11 owner. My only ever riding experience was on a mid 70's Kawasaki 500 and a Honda 400 F. Why do you think they are different than any other you have ridden? Again, Just from a curiosity standpoint because I have limited experience on many different bikes. By the way, I love my V11! 3,400 miles!

Regards,

Bob

Timbo,

I own an 1150 GS (adventure) as my daily ride including work trips (about 7-12,000 miles per year) plus an '00 1st gen V11 plus a sixties Bonnie, so well qualified to offer an opinion.

As others here have said, depends on what you want and what you expect.

The GS is a superb daily bike, and the best 2 up bike I've personally ever used (I've owned 4 of them over 11 years). The satisfaction comes from using it like a trusted tool, utility and fitness for purpose are where the satisfaction lies. It will also tear the headlamp off the V11 on any road with bumps (i.e. Pretty much any non motorway in the uk then). Having said that, it will tear the headlamp of pretty much ANY bike on a road with bumps . You already knew that though!

The v11 has it's niggles, reliability and build quality wise, but is as reliable as an anvil compared to any period Triumph. The responses from others here pretty much sum that up. I have had the relay issue (cheap and well documented), and the head bearings have just given up the ghost (almost certainly due to lack of a grease gun on Luigi's shift), also much of the frame & engine finish is peeling off (however later versions without red frame way better). Apart from finish, niggles once fixed don't tend to re-appear.

On the other hand it makes people gawp, sounds gorgeous, puts a smile on my face and is quicker than the GS despite less midrange, as it's a fair bit lighter (not many bikes it can say that to though :P )

The suspension is pretty crude by the standards of almost anything else built in last 20 years, but everything else is ok. Don't listen to half baked road tests talking of crap gearboxes and tractors, it's total bollox.

It is (along with a bonnie but with none of the drawbacks) one of the motorbikiest motorbikes you can own, which I suspect is the antidote to the BM you're after?

BUT, using it regularly 2 up, or as a commute in vile weather etc, will I suspect, end up with you disliking it more often than you love it. It will do it, just not particularly well.

My advice, keep the GS, and get a cheap v11, they are cheap as chips as long as you don't go the dealer route. I or others can advise on the details (recalls etc) you need to look for. I suspect mine is worth WELL under 2000 quid, which is why I'm keeping it (at least until the stelvio appears :oldgit: )

p.s. If you're evr in West London you can take mine for a taz (assuming I do the bearings any day soon)

Good luck

Dave

Whatcha reckon?

Bought a 1150gs new in'01 sans ABS. Thought it would be the dogs danglies. Great handling, very good 2 up. Did some European tours and some local off road. Kept it for 3 years. The bad stuff - criminal gearbox and chronic corrosion of wheels and some fittings. In the end I was pleased to see the back of it. Maybe BMW could have eased matters by being more forthcoming with their warranty but this was not the case for me until I discovered Rainbow in Sheffield.

I've had the Rosso Corsa for 2 years and it is a delight, there is no pretense that it will do adventure biking or give the finest of finish and reliablity but for me it is the most involving motorcycle I have ever ridden, long lazy legs and so far I can mend and service it. The inhabitants on this site are helpful, knowledgeable and make the ownership and riding even better.

Don't know if it will work for you Timbo but this bike will stay with me for as long as I can ride.

Give one a (long) try. :food:

BM1.JPG

I own a R1150R and a V11. Markedly similarly yet different machines. Similar in specs, but riding characteristics wholly different.

For me, the Beemer is comfortable, reliable and clinical to the point of boring; yet I appreciate those qualities. The Guzzi is passionate, quite a wild thing and presents motorcycling ata raw and basic level that stirs my heart.

It's really a question of your head (and arse) versus your heart.

Best suggestion, test ride a V11 first.

Cheers

Cat

+1 as above Timbo.

I have an '05 1150 GSA and an '03 V11. Sure they're similar in the sense that they're both twins but the similarity ends there...

One thing that I might toss in is the difference in rider ergo's. I'm tall ( let's see 6.6- that would be for you metric guys about... 198 cm ) and the upright ("begging dog") riding postion of the GSA sure beats the pants off my V11 posture after 3 or 4 hours of riding.

I love my V11 but I have to be willing to put up with all the little quirks and mechanical failures she loves to challenge me with from time to time. The beemer boxer is rock solid and bullet-proof out of the box (at least the past 4 I've owned have been). If I'm off for an extended ride or a situation where back up may not be readily available, I always pull the BMW out of my stable.

Just my :2c:

So, here's another vote for: have both!