selling bmw gs to buy V11

Guest timbo

+1 for all the replys above.

I too have a GS-Adv and just added a 03 LeMans after selling my FJR.

Had V11 LeMans in the past. I missed it and got another.

If I had to choose between the 2 bikes, I'd take the beemer becasue I need something comfy, practicle and utilitairian for everyday use.

All depends on what you want to do.

What else is in your stable?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Suzuki GsxR750H and a 350lc in the process of being rebuilt

COOL! COOL! COOL! haha .. judging from your stable .. the Guzzi will lure you over the beemer!!!!!!!! You have an unfortunate disease ... classicus-bikelovus, probably in terminal stage and incurable, common in males, late thirties to fifties. Final confirmation .... What do these pics do to you? ..........

IMG_0433-l.JPG

900ss.JPG

Look, with the Guzzi, worst case scenario ... you are wrong, and your body aches .... Badly.

Kidding .... seriously, I would use the commute as a gauge; for me, further and longer, beemer rulez.

Cheers

Cat

The only thing I would add to the thread, is that if you're really concerned about the comfort of a V11 compared to the Beemer, you should try driving a Cafe Sport, Coppa Italia, Ballabio or whatever variants have the higher bars.

I find my Ballabio down right comfy on rides as long as 5-600 miles per day. My 04 has been pretty reliable, (other than the damn speedometer) and I commute to work on it every day, and have put 13,000 miles on it this year without one stranding or failure.

Can't resist this thread...

I've had a few BMW's and they are not bullet proof! I just spent a couple grand getting my R1150RT back on the road. Clutch Kit & spline, towing bill and truck rental. They never break down at home....

I've also had a few Guzzie's. They have never (yet) left me walking. I think that generally, you can tell when a Guzzie is going to have a fit. The BMW gave no warning...

IMHO you will face two problems. Ergo's, that can be corrected for less money than custom BMW stuff, and storage / bags. Generally not as many options as BMW.

Count on poor gas milage but lots of smiles. Caution, the V11 is not near as forgiving on the road. If at all possible, add the V11 to you list.

:mg:

Hmmm. I don't regard my V11 Le Mans as a love it or hate it bike. I like it, probably no more. On the right roads and the right day it puts a huge grin on my face. It is an extremely competent fast roads tool, deceptively fast when set up right, and perfect for spending the day doing silly speeds. Yet get it on the sort of back roads I sometimes favour and it gets hideously out of it's depth very quickly. But then I wouldn't choose to ride another barge like the GS on these roads either.

My V11 replaced my old Tiger, regrettably written off in a crash earlier this year. Bit of a change, and certainly not as useful a tourer (for the sort of touring I do), and nothing like as useful day to day (I don't own a car). It also encourages an excess of speed on my commute. That and the finish (my Indian made Royal Enfield has held up better) have led to me buying a BMW to take over the burden of commuting and day to day hacking. Funnily enough the V11 has also given more problems than the Enfield too <_ but it is still refreshingly easy to work on although some jobs are a pain in the arse so aspects of design.>

All told, if I could get a decent price for it I'd be shot of it. Waiting five months for parts wears thin and it is no where near versatile enough to be my only bike. But it is still fun on the right day, and she isn't going anywhere with the state of the second hand market in the UK. If I didn't have an understanding wife who lets me own three bikes I think though I'd have had to bite the bullet and got shot.

Guest SDKFZ111

I reckon that R1150GS is a useless piece of junk and you're wise to be rid of it! My KLR 650 will run bloody circles around it! I'm currently in Moab, Utah in the Offroad Capitol of the Free World and I haven't seen a one of the beasts off the pavement! Or one that even looks remotely like it's been off the pavement.

So how long will it be until you see the light? Thankfully, you have, my friend.

BTW, a V11 will run circles around the GS ON the pavement, my KLR off it.

You asked for it, you got it! :whistle::D

Can you let me know the name of your supplier please? I wish to order a bulk ship-ment of the rose tinted glasses. THanks in advance!

I reckon that R1150GS is a useless piece of junk and you're wise to be rid of it! My KLR 650 will run bloody circles around it! I'm currently in Moab, Utah in the Offroad Capitol of the Free World and I haven't seen a one of the beasts off the pavement! Or one that even looks remotely like it's been off the pavement.

So how long will it be until you see the light? Thankfully, you have, my friend.

BTW, a V11 will run circles around the GS ON the pavement, my KLR off it.

You asked for it, you got it! :whistle::D

I'd have to disagree with you Kevin. I don't know which circles you run, but the one and only advantage a KLR has over an 1150GS is it's 200ib lighter. I'll give you one more plus, they are cheaper. If one is going to get serious about offroad, yup, a GS is clearly a street bike with knobbie tires. But with absolute ease I'll go anywhere you can go with my airhead PD. A KLR is not a serious offroad bike, and is hopeless on a street tour.

As for comparisons with an 1150GS and a V11, this is a bit more tricky. In the current "specialization" of motorcycles, away from the 'standard' motorcycle, this is really apples and oranges. Moto Guzzi has a charisma and character that is unmatched except for perhaps [please god, forgive me for saying this] Harley Davidson. Granted HD's is fully market driven, artificial if you will, whereas MG's is very real, and 10 ft thick! Matched to this lovely old brick of an engine is a 'just ok' chassis able to deal with an 85 hp engine and not much else. Ergonomics, again a fine for a one up, but questionable 2 up for all but anyone who hasn't tasted the 2 up offering available elseware. An 1150 GS on the other hand has a mostly flat [no pun] power curve, no emotion, crunchy gearbox, and looks odd. However, it has incredible 2 up capabilities, huge payload, incredible capabilities in the twisties, very plush suspension, very comfortable 4 season seat/grips, seating position, and I'm sorry to say Kevin, offroad capabilities better than any other bike out there in it's weight catagory.

As to whether a V11 will dispatch a 1150GS on the pavement, this is a close one. The V11 has a slightly better power/weight, better aerodynamics, so is faster top speed by about 10 mph. On a bumpy old pavement road it's no contest, the GS will eat up and shit out the V11. On a high speed smooth sweeping road, I'd give the edge to a V11 with it's power advantage. On a tight canyon road again the GS will simply play and laugh with someone on a V11, on account of it's amazing clearance from hard parts hitting down, fantastic basic suspension, and 'tiller' wide handlbars which make quick countersteer steering input silly easy and controllable.

My comment is to keep both a V11 and a GS. No one motorcycle can do everything. If you can get 1 bike in a garage, you can get 4. The only think stopping you is your wife!!

Ciao, Steve

:stupid:

I'd have to disagree with you Kevin. I don't know which circles you run, but the one and only advantage a KLR has over an 1150GS is it's 200ib lighter. I'll give you one more plus, they are cheaper. If one is going to get serious about offroad, yup, a GS is clearly a street bike with knobbie tires. But with absolute ease I'll go anywhere you can go with my airhead PD. A KLR is not a serious offroad bike, and is hopeless on a street tour.

As for comparisons with an 1150GS and a V11, this is a bit more tricky. In the current "specialization" of motorcycles, away from the 'standard' motorcycle, this is really apples and oranges. Moto Guzzi has a charisma and character that is unmatched except for perhaps [please god, forgive me for saying this] Harley Davidson. Granted HD's is fully market driven, artificial if you will, whereas MG's is very real, and 10 ft thick! Matched to this lovely old brick of an engine is a 'just ok' chassis able to deal with an 85 hp engine and not much else. Ergonomics, again a fine for a one up, but questionable 2 up for all but anyone who hasn't tasted the 2 up offering available elseware. An 1150 GS on the other hand has a mostly flat [no pun] power curve, no emotion, crunchy gearbox, and looks odd. However, it has incredible 2 up capabilities, huge payload, incredible capabilities in the twisties, very plush suspension, very comfortable 4 season seat/grips, seating position, and I'm sorry to say Kevin, offroad capabilities better than any other bike out there in it's weight catagory.

As to whether a V11 will dispatch a 1150GS on the pavement, this is a close one. The V11 has a slightly better power/weight, better aerodynamics, so is faster top speed by about 10 mph. On a bumpy old pavement road it's no contest, the GS will eat up and shit out the V11. On a high speed smooth sweeping road, I'd give the edge to a V11 with it's power advantage. On a tight canyon road again the GS will simply play and laugh with someone on a V11, on account of it's amazing clearance from hard parts hitting down, fantastic basic suspension, and 'tiller' wide handlbars which make quick countersteer steering input silly easy and controllable.

My comment is to keep both a V11 and a GS. No one motorcycle can do everything. If you can get 1 bike in a garage, you can get 4. The only think stopping you is your wife!!

Ciao, Steve

:stupid:

Steve is spot on, different bikes. I tried holding off a fireblade on my V11 on a typical british A road (i.e. bumpy) and was working twice as hard, he cruised by on a curve where it wasn't down to the power. On the other hand I regularly give japanese firmly suspended sports bikes a hard time on the same roads on the overweight barge of a GS (on the curves, not the straights :D ).

However, none of that really matters to me, it might to you, but if you REGULARLY do two up for any distance, and you acknowledge just how good said barge is in that mode, then don't go with the v11 as your only bike, it will end in disappointment, it's just not that good a 2 up bike....

Cheers

Dave

I used to quite like the GS when it was a cult bike that everyone hated 'cos it was ugly. Now they are so bloody common if I see another one I am going to puke :vomit:

I saw yet another one on a breakdown truck this weekend- a GS owning mate tells me that they are not as reliable as the image makes them out to be.

I saw one of those HP2 thingies at the weekend on the V11lemans.com anniversary ride out- now that looked a bit more interesting but I understand they are massively overpriced for what they are.

Guy :helmet:

As the others have said, they're two completely different bikes. I love my V11 and it is usually the bike of choice. However, if I'm taking a longer ride 2-up, the BMW comes out.

To make an auto analogy, The BMW is a German sport utility; The V11 is an Italian sports car.

Guest SDKFZ111

I think i have made the right choice, just need to sell the Gs in biketrader and waiting

Have you bought one yet? I'm selling my V11,, 5000 miles on the clock,an 04 with Staintune pipes (plus one unused spare) plus original silencers.Guzzi shop stand,baglux tank cover, Paul Minnaert's tail replacement unit and a few service parts, taxed and MOT.See a picture on page 5 of Post a pic of your V11.

Just got back from a ~800 mile trip to Moab, Utah. You can read about it here: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=13547.0

Covered ~100 miles of tough, Utah slickrock/sand backcountry. Didn't see any lousy BMW GS's except for the one in the motel parking lot that was hauled there by pickup truck.

I used to get my kicks LEAVING POS BMW twins of all kinds with my Guzzis and still do, on occasion. In the words of our fearful leader, "Bring 'em on!"

FTR the KLR has a claimed dry weight of 340 and a true dirtbike suspension. Ever had to push, pick up, or hold your GS up with your leg through sandy turns at speed?

Hey, here's a neat trick for you: Ride your GS down a 10-12% mountain grade in mud/snow, bobbing around boulders 2-up and hit the front brakes. Let me know how that goes, OK?

The KLR is a street legal dirt bike. The BMW? Uhhhh, a BMW.

Well, you may TRY to take your GS where I go, but you won't make it. I guarantee it. :thumbsup:

Oh, and cost hasn't a damn thing to do with it. I pay cash for all my vehicles, anyway, including my recently acquired brand new Tuono Factory. I simply don't buy overpriced, overweight, overrated, inordinately complex vehicles. In the back country if I can't carry it with me or fix it, forget it.

OK, so when did a BMW miraculously become a fantastic handling road machine? Not in my lifetime. I've ridden and owned them. You know, even on the pavement with the KLR in tight curves I bet I'd enjoy a good run with the GS because of the weight advantage. 250 lbs = 25 HP.

I'll give you one point for the comment about going down hill. I do remember pointing out the weight disadvantage off road on a GS. I'll accept that disadvantage, and carry on with glee!

I guess we could banter forever about such things. You started this silly little banter, and I'll just sigh with a smile and let you finish it. I don't need to prove anything. Amusing fun in Baja Mexico off roading will continue on my GS. Fast canyon carving on my GS will continue, laughing at sport bikes tying themselves in knots trying to hold me at bay. Daily commuting will also continue, as will highway/back road touring in extreme comfort will max loads.

People on this list who've ridden with me know what the outcome of this GS/KLR situation would be, whether it be street or dirt. I won't go any further. Really don't need to. My mouth absolutely waters however at the opportunity to ride a road like Leggett or Happy Camp in California, with you getting a 1/4 mile head start. It would be extremely fun and rewarding for me.

Maybe it's better we never find ourselves on the same road. We are too much the same.

Ciao, Steve

FTR the KLR has a claimed dry weight of 340 and a true dirtbike suspension. Ever had to push, pick up, or hold your GS up with your leg through sandy turns at speed?

The KLR is a street legal dirt bike. The BMW? Uhhhh, a BMW.

Well, you may TRY to take your GS where I go, but you won't make it. I guarantee it. :thumbsup:

In the dual sport compromise the KLR is certainly slanted toward dirt and the GS toward street. The GS will never be a good single track / mud bike, but it does have its qualities. Likewise the KLR will never keep up on pavement. With the right tires the GS is a great street bike. I just rode 1200 miles in Alaska most all of it unpaved and quite a bit off road on a KLR. There were various other bikes including two GSs. When the riding was on hard pack unpaved roads the GS shined. Any conditions worse than that though and the weight would take it's toll on the rider. The KLRs, while not true dirt bikes at over 400lbs, were at least ride-able in the tight stuff and deep mud. It all depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing, everything is a compromise.