Going Racing....

Guest gyles

what sort of power is allowed with what weight?. Detuning, depends on how much. Easy is intake/auxhaust restrictions, otherwise centauro cams:-)

I am allowed 1hp per 1.814kg

You must be kidding, right?

Is this the British Thunderbike regulation?

that's 0,55 hp/kg

I don't see any (race)bike fitting in here!

MGS-01 > 0,63 (according to the specs 122hp/192kg)

Raceco > 0,72 (130hp/180kg)

even my ol' 2valve > 0,56 !!

So if your bike (106hp) is 192kg, you should have one of the fastest in Thunderbike competition?

Duc 748R > 0,55 (106hp/192kg)

No, not kidding! Just downloaded the 2007_thunderbike-regs.pdf

http://www.bemsee.net/index.php?option=com...9&Itemid=40

Is there really a dyno at the end of the race?

You must be kidding, right?

Is this the British Thunderbike regulation?

that's 0,55 hp/kg

I don't see any (race)bike fitting in here!

MGS-01 > 0,63 (according to the specs 122hp/192kg)

Raceco > 0,72 (130hp/180kg)

even my ol' 2valve > 0,56 !!

So if your bike (106hp) is 192kg, you should have one of the fastest in Thunderbike competition?

Duc 748R > 0,55 (106hp/192kg)

No, not kidding! Just downloaded the 2007_thunderbike-regs.pdf

http://www.bemsee.net/index.php?option=com...9&Itemid=40

Is there really a dyno at the end of the race?

Yeh... the limit is 1hp per 1.814kg (or 4lbs).

There is a calculator on the thunderbike site here:

http://www.thunderbikeuk.com/rules_overview.php

I had mine weighed at Snetterton and she is 217kg which means I could basically have 120bhp... or get her down to 192kg and stick with the current 106bhp !

The MGS is too powerful - as are many other bikes but the overall limit does offer close racing if you have a bike right on the power to weight limit.

G

This is quite right.

As we allways think peak-hp. You could make an engine with the max allowed hp all over the line. Imagine you got 60-70hp at 4000rpm instead of 40! When you come out of that corner that would really kick some ass.

As I am (still) working on an exhaust, I'm sure I had the right one for you. I had created a real torque bike, I'll try to get a print of the dynorun, but the powercurve crashed at 6000rpm (with allready over 90hp). Obviously 6000rpm is a lot of fun on the streets, on the track you need speed! That's why I'm still working on the exhaust hoping to get 9000rpm out of it.

I think a new question would come to mind when you come out of that corner: 'Is it safe NOW! to open the throttle??'

Here is a question for you all... (or two questions)..

If the MGS01 produces too much power, what would you do? If it produces just a little too much we will add weight (to get under the power:weight limit) - what about de-tuning the motor - how would you go about this?

Guzzi answered this question back in the 50's: better to have a light, good-handling bike that's down on absolute h.p. but has good aerodynamics & a controllable powerband.

Keep the MGS as light as you can, and use the Centauro cams w/ some port restrictors, if necessary. Lighter bikes brake deeper into corners, don't cook their tires as badly, and flick around easier.

:race:

Best o' luck!

:mg:

Congrats for the successful outing on Guzzi.

What kind of tire were you using? Just curious, since I've had problems with Dunlop D209GP (race tire) on my V11 sport. It caused front-end head shake when hitting a bump during high speed... well, may be it's the bike. It stopped shaking when I changed the tires to Dunlop Qualifier (track day/street tire) but obviously it lacked grip in the turns.

Daytona_008.JPG

What kind of tire were you using? Just curious, since I've had problems with Dunlop D209GP (race tire) on my V11 sport. It caused front-end head shake when hitting a bump during high speed... well, may be it's the bike. It stopped shaking when I changed the tires to Dunlop Qualifier (track day/street tire) but obviously it lacked grip in the turns.

Hello ! I use Pirelli Super Corsa Pros. Fantastic tyres... really really impressive in terms of grip. I use a SC1 on the front and SC2 rear (SC - special compound).

Great to see another Guzzi out there being raced. Nice one !!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phil_P

Just wish I had the bottle to commit into corners like that, it'd make track days so much more fun. Got some part worn Supercorsas to try next time out.

Just wish I had the bottle to commit into corners like that, it'd make track days so much more fun. Got some part worn Supercorsas to try next time out.

They are brilliant mate - if they are nice and warm they just grip and grip and grip... you'll be scraping bits of the bikes long before they give up the ghost.

Had to get my head round a wet race this weekend... man - that does take some getting you head around !! wets are amazing.... absolutely amazing.

post-5788-1191244804_thumb.jpg

They are brilliant mate - if they are nice and warm they just grip and grip and grip... you'll be scraping bits of the bikes long before they give up the ghost.

Had to get my head round a wet race this weekend... man - that does take some getting you head around !! wets are amazing.... absolutely amazing.

Great pic Gyles! And congrats on winning Rookie Of The Year! :bier: