won't start

Guest jerry

Ok guys, I know this has been asked here before but I can't find it. I picked up my used 2003 Lemans with ~5000 miles 3 weeks ago. Runs great. Twice I have parked the bike and came back to start it and nothing. The lights come on, I pull in the clutch, kill switch is in the run position,, kick stand is up. Nothing. The first time this happened it started after messing with it for 10 minutes. This morning, I couldn't get it to work. It acts the same way as when you leave the kick stand down and try and start it. Please help. Jerry

Assuming the fuse is still OK and you've cycled the kill switch a few times, I'd swap relays under the seat. If that doesn't fix it I'd check the kickstand switch and it's connections under the tank, then check the clutch switch and the kill switch for proper operation.

If swapping relays does fix your problem I'd advise you to order a full new set here: http://www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm . Lots of board members have cured electrical problems by replacing the stock ones with these.

Hi Jerry,

Had the same issue on my new Ballabio, the mechanic found a loose connection at the starter. I would also change all the relays, not switch them around as the starter relay has 5 pins and the others are 4 pin. Do a search for relays and you'll find lots of info. Other things to suspect are battery, starter switch and sidestand cutoff switch.

Good luck,

John

update, just ordered new relays - haven't received them yet - went out to switch the relays around like someone suggested and before I did the damn bike started right up. I hadn't done one thing to it at that point. I went ahead and switched the relays around just in case - now the high beam switch, the horn and the tach don't work. Saw the latest post to this string and it said that the one relay had 5 pins. I will switch it back. I also cheked all the fuses and they were fine. I'll keep everyone updated as the story unfolds.

I've just been through this exact problem, intermittant not turning over/starting that has resulted in twice being recovered by the RAC.

I changed the relays (well worth doing anyway) but the problem was still there and still intermittant.

My problem turned out to be the wire and /or switch at the clutch lever (this is in the starter motor line) which I got round by connecting a 2" wire, with crimped bullet connectors, across where the loom goes up to this switch. This is situated under the tank on the left of the frame (just follow the wires from the clutch).

This cured the problem completely and I prefere not having to pull the clutch in to start.

The clutch switch will account for non-starting , but not rough running. The run current goes to the run switch through the side stand switch.