KTM 950 SM R as a third bike

FuelCooler

No doubt those BMW's are pricey, and truth be known the 650 is really an Aprilia! Since my son works at a BMW shop we managed to score the X challenge at a greatly reduced price, it was used with 9 others as demo bikes at a large rally. The nice thing was it has about $1000 worth of upgraded parts on it. Its a great bike fairly light, powerful and loves the dirt! The KTM 's arn't cheap and the dealer network sucks. Yes they do break down! Many of the KTM dealers won't even handle the road bikes because of the cost involved.

No doubt those BMW's are pricey, and truth be known the 650 is really an Aprilia! Since my son works at a BMW shop we managed to score the X challenge at a greatly reduced price, it was used with 9 others as demo bikes at a large rally. The nice thing was it has about $1000 worth of upgraded parts on it. Its a great bike fairly light, powerful and loves the dirt! The KTM 's arn't cheap and the dealer network sucks. Yes they do break down! Many of the KTM dealers won't even handle the road bikes because of the cost involved.

I thought those 650's most if not all the KTM's and Aprilia(not sure about the new off road line) were all Rotax, am I a lil off here? I know the LC8 and V990 are rotax, if not for much longer.

I thought those 650's most if not all the KTM's and Aprilia(not sure about the new off road line) were all Rotax, am I a lil off here? I know the LC8 and V990 are rotax, if not for much longer.

The F650 and F800 series BMW's are Rotax powered. I believe the 650's are actually built by Aprilia, in fact some of the parts come in Aprilia boxes. The new 450 series are the same for now, but with BMW buying Husqvarna that may all change in the future.

... The KTM 's arn't cheap and the dealer network sucks. Yes they do break down! Many of the KTM dealers won't even handle the road bikes because of the cost involved.

Yikes! I could be heading in a downward spiral in terms of dealer networks. BMW to Guzzi to KTM :wacko::lol:

Help me Honda

Help, help me Honda!

It looks like you had a great ride there John! Thanks for posting those pictures and descriptions. Damn that makes me miss trail riding.

I bet those steep rocky climbs and slippery decents helped you appreciate your relatively lightweight Highland and your buddies thumpers. I can't imagine riding trails like that on on one of those big dual sport bikes like the BMW GS or the soon to be released Stelvio. Good luck dragging one of those out of a mud bog.

I take it the land owners in your area are OK with dirt bikes traversing their property? That used to be the case where I live but sadly it is no more. All my old riding areas have been developed or are posted no trespassing or no vehicles nowadays. I'm a little too old to be getting chased around by the police. My friends who still ride and race pay $25 a day to ride on a motocross track 25 miles away. Yuck.

It looks like you had a great ride there John! Thanks for posting those pictures and descriptions. Damn that makes me miss trail riding.

I bet those steep rocky climbs and slippery decents helped you appreciate your relatively lightweight Highland and your buddies thumpers. I can't imagine riding trails like that on on one of those big dual sport bikes like the BMW GS or the soon to be released Stelvio. Good luck dragging one of those out of a mud bog.

I take it the land owners in your area are OK with dirt bikes traversing their property? That used to be the case where I live but sadly it is no more. All my old riding areas have been developed or are posted no trespassing or no vehicles nowadays. I'm a little too old to be getting chased around by the police. My friends who still ride and race pay $25 a day to ride on a motocross track 25 miles away. Yuck.

The lads on the trails reckon even the Highland is far too heavy and they're right. It is however far lighter then my old 1150gs, there's no way I could have ridden the stuff we did on Friday on that. The Highland will also cruise all day at the hundred making it one of the best dual purpose bikes.

Access to trails is a real problem, Dave and Stuart are long time TRF (Trail Riders Fellowship) route experts. Legality is changing all the time so it is important that historic roads are claimed before they are lost. The main problem has been irresponsible bike users creating unnecessary nuisance and damage. They have f

None of the KTM engines are supplied by Rotax, but KTM did hire the guy who designed the Aprilia/Rotax V60 engine to design the LC8. KTM builds all their own engines.

Finding a good dealer is tough. I do all my own maintenance, but still chose my dealer based on the quality of his technician (Cycle Goodies in Winston-Salem, NC), in case of warranty issues.

You Guzzisti have it made on maintenance, though. Here's my 950 SuperEnduro, stripped to have the valve lash checked:

158500616-M.jpg

Here are the parts that had to come off to get there:

158500648-M.jpg

The upside is, these are all the tools required:

158500628-M.jpg

Literally one handful of tools. The bike is really a joy to work on if you enjoy working on bikes. Everything is of such good quality, and comes apart and goes back together so cleanly. You can tell KTM designs their bikes to be raced.

After all that, none of the valves were out of spec.

FuelCooler, SM's are known to be geared a bit tall. Dropping a tooth on the CS sprocket is a standard mod. Third-gear throttle wheelies are $25 away. :D

I have been mostly street-riding my SE, so I have considered selling it to get an SM or SM-R, but by the time I pay the difference, I could just set up a set of street wheels and have the best of both worlds. The SE is just a real handful off road. Great chassis, but too much power. Going 70 mph in fourth on a dirt road, whack the throttle, and you're sideways.

Oh yeah, they sound pretty good when you let them breathe a little:

None of the KTM engines are supplied by Rotax, but KTM did hire the guy who designed the Aprilia/Rotax V60 engine to design the LC8. KTM builds all their own engines.

Finding a good dealer is tough. I do all my own maintenance, but still chose my dealer based on the quality of his technician (Cycle Goodies in Winston-Salem, NC), in case of warranty issues.

You Guzzisti have it made on maintenance, though. Here's my 950 SuperEnduro, stripped to have the valve lash checked:

158500616-M.jpg

Here are the parts that had to come off to get there:

158500648-M.jpg

The upside is, these are all the tools required:

158500628-M.jpg

Literally one handful of tools. The bike is really a joy to work on if you enjoy working on bikes. Everything is of such good quality, and comes apart and goes back together so cleanly. You can tell KTM designs their bikes to be raced.

After all that, none of the valves were out of spec.

FuelCooler, SM's are known to be geared a bit tall. Dropping a tooth on the CS sprocket is a standard mod. Third-gear throttle wheelies are $25 away. :D

I have been mostly street-riding my SE, so I have considered selling it to get an SM or SM-R, but by the time I pay the difference, I could just set up a set of street wheels and have the best of both worlds. The SE is just a real handful off road. Great chassis, but too much power. Going 70 mph in fourth on a dirt road, whack the throttle, and you're sideways.

Oh yeah, they sound pretty good when you let them breathe a little:

your only13,025.00 away form thrid gear wheelies dont fell bad good things come to those who wait