Whats with the Brits?

The present worlds policeman doesn't represent me, or the majority of the planet. Including a lot of Americans.

Democracy is the least worst form of government, but the American version is one of the worst examples of democracy in the world today.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I can't think of a better example than Bush and his cronies.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, and add that the even sadder realization is that the American people aren't doing anything about it, nor even care, as far as I can tell.

Some Americans, including several of our own forum members ARE doing something about it.

As I recall, there are forum members on active duty, in harm's way, supporting this great nation. Bravo for them! Undoubtedly there are other forum members serving valiently in their own country's armed forces doing the dirty "police work" that some are so quick to criticize.

Others of us quietly support the Bush Administration's war on terror and urge others to do so. Not all Americans (despite what some American posters here may advocate) are apologists for America.

Despite America's flaws we still believe the United States to be the gold standard of freedom in the world.

They aren't my words, but a paraphrase of Sir Winston Churchill. I should've given him credit. It goes something like, "After all other forms of government have been tried, democracy is the least worst of all forms of government."

"Democracy is the worst form of Government, save for all the others"

Sir Winston Churchill

Today is Remebrance Sunday, when we remember those killed in recent wars (from 1914). I think this is a time to honestly think whether our views and actions make war in it's many forms more or less likely for future generations. Yesterday a small group of people from the islands of and round Diego Garcia staged a demonstration outside Downing Street for the return of their land stolen from them by both the British and US governments some 40 years ago. This simple injustice is one of many that can only fuel resentment and build up the fires that armement manufacturers are happy to stoke. Committing our men and women to conflict should never be for self interest or lies. Otherwise we will in the end all loose our honour, our authority and our friends.

:oldgit:

Well, there are basically five threads on this site: V11s, tits, weird stuff, hippie stuff and war. All other, apparently different threads are actually variants of those.

would have to agree but you left out red neck stuff, not enough tits

I saw a picture somewhere of a weird hippy with big tits sitting on a V11 in Iraq.

If I can find it should I post it ?

The site might implode.

Deploying a V11 in Iraq would bring peace and harmony to the desert- the insurgents would hang up their AK47s and dishdashas and decide that actually Western culture is the way to go- and they would then get a nice office job and a smart suit so they could afford the repayments on a Ballabio.

Just to show there are no hard feelings, the American and British forces would operate a 24 hour desert breakdown service just in case any ex-insurgent suffered a break down caused by a dodgy relay / gearbox return spring / loose oil filter / oil starvation / vapour lock/ knackered wheel bearing / snapped Sachs / blown fuse etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

We'd all live happily every after thanks to the love created by Moto Guzzi.

The End :rasta::mg:

I should be pointed out that no matter how bad a US president happens to be at his job, the max you get of him is 2 terms. That is in fact quite civilised when you look at other countries with bad presidents.........

That is one good example of how the structure of the american system of government is well thought out with democracy the prime objective.

Another one I like is their voting set up where a proposition can be voted on by the public at election time. I don't know any other country with that, maybe there is but I haven't heard of it.

I know that this like most democratic tools can bee hijacked by special interests but then it is the duty of a free press to give the public clear information to make the correct decisions.

The public in the states get the best opportunity to participate in deciding where their country is going than any other country in the world. :nerd:

• 1 month later...
I should be pointed out that no matter how bad a US president happens to be at his job, the max you get of him is 2 terms. That is in fact quite civilised when you look at other countries with bad presidents.........

That's why I'm so thankful that Bill Clinton couldn't run for a third term!