Starting Issues

VR6Dave

While returning from Alabama this weekend I started to experience a no start situation. We rode from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa and made a quick pit stop. I shut the bike down for maybe 5 minutes. When we were ready my bike would not start with the kickstand up or down in neutral. I tapped the kill switch for the stand a couple times, no go. I clicked the kill switch on the handle bar a couple of times, no go. When I rolled it back and forth a bit it would fire up. Is it my neutral sensor giving me problems? I had to do this at two or three stops if I remember. Thanks.

Dave <_>

While returning from Alabama this weekend I started to experience a no start situation. We rode from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa and made a quick pit stop. I shut the bike down for maybe 5 minutes. When we were ready my bike would not start with the kickstand up or down in neutral. I tapped the kill switch for the stand a couple times, no go. I clicked the kill switch on the handle bar a couple of times, no go. When I rolled it back and forth a bit it would fire up. Is it my neutral sensor giving me problems? I had to do this at two or three stops if I remember. Thanks.

Dave <_>

"While returning from Alabama this weekend I started to experience a no start situation."

Did you start the engine normally, first time? or there were small starting problems from time to time??

" I clicked the kill switch on the handle bar a couple of times, no go.When I rolled it back and forth a bit it would fire up."

Did it fire up with the kill switch in off position??? Propably not, so if it fires up when the switch is on, the handlebar kill switch is ok.

"I tapped the kill switch for the stand a couple times, no go."

Some times this switch makes fun to the whole system, but if it is malfunctioning you wouldn"t be able to start the engine, because it interrupts the electrical system.

"When I rolled it back and forth a bit it would fire up."

That is very strange, because it shows that your battery is low, or that for some reason the compression is too high for the starter to turn the engine.By rolling the bike back and forth with gear you break the compression, and it"s a good trick for starting an engine with a not very good battery( at least for pre-injection bikes).The problem for injection bikes is that they need a healthy battery,because the voltage from various sensors is acquired by the ECU, and if the readings are wrong due to a low battery the ECU usually makes things worse.

Check your battery, that it is OK, if yes , check that the charging system is ok.

"Is it my neutral sensor giving me problems"

Check the neutral light comes on when you are in neutral in gearbox , then put first gear, pull the clutch, and press starter button (stand up), if it fires up everything is OK.

Anyway, Moto Guzzi electrical problems usually are simple if you have the patience to follow (one step at a time), the wiring diagram.

Hope it is something simple.

The neutral switch can be removed and cleaned. Even before that I would clean, tighten and apply copper antiseize paste to the connector under the boot (behind the starter). Some have reported that running Redline Shockproof in the gearbox has helped the neutral switch.

The trouble with the neutral switch theory is that the sidestand switch is an alternate source of current when it is up.

Did the starter turn over or no?

The neutral switch can be removed and cleaned. Even before that I would clean, tighten and apply copper antiseize paste to the connector under the boot (behind the starter). Some have reported that running Redline Shockproof in the gearbox has helped the neutral switch.

The trouble with the neutral switch theory is that the sidestand switch is an alternate source of current when it is up.

Did the starter turn over or no?

docc,

The starter would not fire or turnover, I would push the starter button but nothing at all would happen, bike in neutral, clutch in, lights on. When I rolled it back and forth in neutral and tried iagain it would fire the starter and the bike would start.

Dave

Hmmm, sounds like the 'clutch switch.' The switch itself will lock the starter out. Listen for a little 'click' when pulling the clutch lever in. A good clean and lube of the micro switch itself may be in order. Also ( and perhaps more likely) are the bullet connectors at the left side of the frame under the tank. They do benefit from a good clean (electrical contact cleaner), crimp and lubrication ( copper anti-seize paste) with a weather sealing with heat shrink tubing.

Some have found twisting the bars from side to side will stimulate the connectors into starting the bike . . .

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm, sounds like the 'clutch switch.' The switch itself will lock the starter out. Listen for a little 'click' when pulling the clutch lever in. A good clean and lube of the micro switch itself may be in order. Also ( and perhaps more likely) are the bullet connectors at the left side of the frame under the tank. They do benefit from a good clean (electrical contact cleaner), crimp and lubrication ( copper anti-seize paste) with a weather sealing with heat shrink tubing.

Some have found twisting the bars from side to side will stimulate the connectors into starting the bike . . .

Hard to say if the clutch switch clicked, I usually wear earplugs. Before the trip I replaced the speedo cable with the new updated one, that may have upset the connections on the left side of the spine like you mentioned. I will look there forst. I have a lot to do this winter, a complete once over. Thanks.

Dave :thumbsup: