My V11s Has a Clunk... Any Ideas?

RonV11

I just started noticing a clunk that is not related the engine RPM. (The clunk does not increase with RPM, nor does it drop when I pull in the clutch.) It's slight, and not very noticeable. Starts at about 30 MPH. Its kinda like when a rock is stuck in your tire tread. I haven't spent much time diagnosing it... Just wondering if someone here has run across this already.

Thanks

Ron

Thanks Pete.

I'm almost afraid to ask... :)

Whats a trunnion? And do they need periodic adjustment?

Hers's some additional info I forgot to include... I feel it only in the foot pegs and more on the left peg.

Ron

2001 V11s

What is the tempo? about four beats per second? Or is it irregular? What happens as speed increases? If it were the shaft the frequency would increase as speed increases, or it would go away before you notice a change in frequency.

Does it matter what gear you are in?

I knew I'd forget something... Thanks for helping me focus on the details...

It is regular and increases/decreases with speed (up/down). It's not very noticeable and with the engine running it's very difficult to notice as engine vibration masks the clunk. I notice it more while coasting with the clutch lever pulled in. Good question about gear selection. I'll check that out as I would assume that it would point to a transmission problem.

Thanks

Ron

Not that this would actually create a noise like that, but it is worth checking the shock's eye bolt to the swing arm to be sure it is complete (not a half eye) and not cracked.

It is regular and increases/decreases with speed (up/down). It's not very noticeable and with the engine running it's very difficult to notice as engine vibration masks the clunk. I notice it more while coasting with the clutch lever pulled in. Good question about gear selection. I'll check that out as I would assume that it would point to a transmission problem.

This describes pretty much the noise my broken rear wheel bearings generated. The old bearings took the noise with them as they were replaced.

Pushing the bike around for a couple of meters (20-30?) in neutral and with the engine switched off may give you a better idea where does the noise come from.

I bet on bearings. :oldgit:

• 8 months later...

It's taken me a while to get back to the V11... And a BIG thank you to the people that provided input. I just wanted to let you all know what was causing the "clunk".

The envelope please...

AND the winner is... Wheel Bearings! Congrats to Martin Barrett & Guzzi2Go. You guys nailed it. :thumbsup: The Left side had a radial crack. I'd never seen that before. :o

Thanks again. :D