gearbox woes

Tim

Dear Guzzisti

I got the dreaded gearbox leak the other day on my stock 2000 V11 sport. I've done over 22,000 miles and the bike has been relatively trouble free in that time. Gearbox oil was changed just over a year ago with Rock oil synthetic 75/90 so I can't think its due to overfilling.

I've looked up the gearbox threads and there seems to be a range of possiblites from changing to redline shcok proof heavy via tightening things to entire replacement of gearbox due to cracking .

I'm going to have a close inspection this weekend so I wondered was if anyone has ideas about how to diagnose what the actual problem is. The different reasons for leaks all seem to have the same symptoms. Also anyone any views on the extent to which it can be ignored (I can live with a small leak if its not going to result in any dire consequences).

As usual all views and comments gratefully recieved

Tim

Guest ratchethack

Tim, many of us have been down this road before.

Have you isolated the exact source with some degree of certainty?

Have you determined for certain that it's coming from the trans? One common mis-diagnosis here is the breather hose at the top rear of the motor will deteriorate over time, and engine oil migrates down to the bottom of the trans. It should be fairly easy to tell the difference between motor oil and trans lube.

Is it an actual dripping LEAK, or is it more of a WEEP or a SEEP? :huh2:

Tim,

First order of business is to clean things up. Thoroughly wash the trans with a rapidly drying solvent like brake parts cleaner. Once it is clean & dry, take the bike for a short ride.(not too far as to make a mess of it) The source of the leak should be evident. Hopefully it is something easy like the cover or shifter seal.

good luck

• 1 month later...

Eventually got round to putting in the redline shockproof heavy and went for a run. Early indications are that the leak has disappeared. I only filled up to half way up the gearbox window

will post again after I've ridden a good few more miles

Eventually got round to putting in the redline shockproof heavy and went for a run. Early indications are that the leak has disappeared. I only filled up to half way up the gearbox window

will post again after I've ridden a good few more miles

As an aside, did you notice any differences in shift quality after putting in the Redline?

Yes I thought shifting was crisper but the annoying whine in top gear (been like that since I got it) seems to be a bit more noticeable. Could be my imagination though as I didn't have a tank bag on which seems to absorb noise.

still no puddle appeared