FI Imbalance

Guest bikerjohn

Guest bikerjohn

Hi, I'm currently engaged in a running battle with my dealer and MGUK to get someone interested in sorting the fuelling problem on my 2002 LM (just 6K miles)

Symptoms are very pale :luigi: LH plug, heavy "pinking" and very erratic slow speed running in towns.

Has anyone else had similar probs with their injection systems. Experimented with differing plus grades side-to-side and bike much, much better (hardly a fix though!)

I'm getting so fed up I'm thinking of getting hold of carbs etc. and fitting them - at least I can sort them myself. Is this a reasonable prospect?

Happy riding

John

Sounds like your dealer doesn't know how to set it up correctly or diagnose. Try another dealer would be my advice. TB's could be out of balance and or an air leak (rubbers have been known to crack; mine did). Ecu settings may be incorrect. :mg:

John,

Usually setting the CO, the TPS and CAREFULLY setting the throttle body balance is enough to take care of your troubles.

Also, be sure the tip-over valve in the fuel vapor system is not suctioning your tank. The whole fuel vapor recovery system seems to work best in a cardboard box.

Finally, be sure you run the highest octane premium fuel.

Good luck! :luigi::luigi::luigi:

Also make sure your valves aren't too tight... this was my problem, although it seemed like a fuel/air problem from the symptoms.

My dealer fiddled with the TBs/TPS for weeks while I suggested rechecking the valves.

However when I finally checked the valves upon getting the bike home, Mike Stewart and I found them to be way too tight. Setting them up properly made all the difference in the world, and now the bike doesn't backfire, cough, or die in the heat like it did.

al

Guest dkgross

Finally, be sure you run the highest octane premium fuel.

And, fwiw..I found that Chevron Premium just seems to make my bike run better than Texaco (the only other station near my house..). I've read on other threads that the 'techron' additive is really great for bikes...

your milage may vary :)

When my sport was first delivered it was very picky about fuel. Sounded like a Jamaican steel drum band on "Shell." Like an Offenhauser on "Amoco."

After tweaking the TPS, balancing throttle bodies and jettisoning the evaporative fuel vapor system, I notice no difference between fuels.

Which was just in time since "Shell" absorbed "Texaco" and "BP" sells "Amoco" fuels. :drink::drink::drink: