how they made the 8v

Paul Minnaert

Very impressive. For which bike is this engine designed?

What, have you been hiding under a rock? The new 8v Griso! Ultimately, all the bikes will get it, I'm certain, as the factory will have to equip them all with a more powerful mill to make up for how progressively more strangled the motor will become by emissions regulations...

-_-

Yeah, we've all been watching the slow unveiling of this engine for a long time. Im very curious about how it will perform and whether it has any "teething" issues (a la the hydraulic valve lifter debacle). To my knowledge, nobody (other than the factory ) has gotten their hands on one of these to try it out yet. Looks good and hopefully it can stay within site of the BMW's when their final drives arent broken, lol.

I didn't look at all the images, but to me it looks similar to the V65 Lario engine, perhaps moreso than the Daytona with belt drive cams. My main concern, as with four valve head Guzzis in the past, is cam/lifter issues. Hopefully we'll have none of that.

The Lario was a 4v head on the same cam/block as the regular small-blocks (long push-rod design.) The new quattro-valvole (QV) engine is a cam-in-head, (very!) short push-rod a la' the HiCam, but w/ (yay!) chain-driven cams, drive behind the heads (so no blockage for cooling air flow!) & a whole host of CAD bonuses that flat out didn't exist back in the early 80s when the Lario heads were being engineered.

Having been on the bleeding-edge of computer technology before, I can completely understand & stand with you on the "wait for the cannon fodder^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H "early adopters" to soak up the damage before rushing to join in," but I suspect that Piaggio really crossed their T's & dotted their I's on this engine. Frankly, I'm more concerned about the changes to the crank support that make some past "bad news, gotta rebuild the bottom end" scenarios into much worse "bad news, you need new cases before you can rebuild the engine" drama. But I don't really know anything for certain on that, I'm just taking some things Pete Roper posted at pessimistic face value. If what he posted is correct, it's really only going to affect the "30 years down the line" market, where there won't be many old QVs sold on eBay, unlike the thriving Ambo/Eldo market of today.

Planned obsolescence is such an ugly thing... <_>

• 1 year later...
Yeah, we've all been watching the slow unveiling of this engine for a long time. Im very curious about how it will perform and whether it has any "teething" issues (a la the hydraulic valve lifter debacle). ...

Um, yes. Thanks Jihem and Leafman

Having been on the bleeding-edge of computer technology before, I can completely understand & stand with you on the "wait for the cannon fodder^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H "early adopters" to soak up the damage before rushing to join in," but I suspect that Piaggio really crossed their T's & dotted their I's on this engine.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the changes to the crank support ....

I'm just taking some things Pete Roper posted at pessimistic face value. If what he posted is correct, it's really only going to affect the "30 years down the line" market...

Planned obsolescence is such an ugly thing... <_>

Um, er, aaa, yes. Thanks Jihem, Leafman and Skeeve.

We should have listened...

Do I read between the lines that something nasty happened?

Look in the CARC Forum under 8V Cam Recall! :(

Parts failure – yes!

Dealer failure – most definitely! :angry:

Back to guzzi things

So yes there are some troubles with pushrods (like daytona rs & centauros !!!) but this time there is recall :nerd: