Unexpected problem - Suggestions/help will appreciated

FalcoLion

After re-installing Tipover valve as it was supposed to be (mine was installed upside down according to Guzzi workshop manual) I was able to take the bike for a short ride this past Thursday (Thanksgiving day).

The result - I am expteremely pissed. This f*ing valve is still messed up and tank suction is still present. I will be removing that piece of junk completely unless someone can recommend an aftermarket alternative. If anyone removed it then I would appreciate if you can tell me what kind of connector did you use to connect two sides of the hose? I know someone mentioned cooper tubing but will it be Ok? What diameter should I use?

Unfortunately that was not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is some kind of clutter noise. Its actually sounds as a valve noise. It presents itself loudly when I get on the gas. When I roll on the throttle I can hear this noise really loud but when I let the throttle go it comes down. The bike behaved well and the ride was nice but this noise is puzzling me. My bike only has about 2600 miles and I only rode it 3-4 times this year (just got it registered last month).

So any suggestion from Guzzi experts would be nice.

Also since Guzzi is not the most popular bike I would love to hear suggestions for a local dealer in New York City or vicinity (relatively speaking).

I know of 2 relatively close dealers. One is Gold Coast but I don't think I can trust them since they are too new and actually just got signed up with MG. I really doubt they will have any clue about it. While back I called them for Tenni parts (was going to buy a damaged one and they didn't even know what it was :homer: ). The other one is Rockwell Cycles. They have good reputation but specialize more in Ducs.

So any suggestion and/or dealer recommendations would be nice.

After re-installing Tipover valve as it was supposed to be (mine was installed upside down according to Guzzi workshop manual) I was able to take the bike for a short ride this past Thursday (Thanksgiving day).

The result - I am expteremely pissed. This f*ing valve is still messed up and tank suction is still present. I will be removing that piece of junk completely unless someone can recommend an aftermarket alternative. If anyone removed it then I would appreciate if you can tell me what kind of connector did you use to connect two sides of the hose? I know someone mentioned cooper tubing but will it be Ok? What diameter should I use?

Unfortunately that was not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is some kind of clutter noise. Its actually sounds as a valve noise. It presents itself loudly when I get on the gas. When I roll on the throttle I can hear this noise really loud but when I let the throttle go it comes down. The bike behaved well and the ride was nice but this noise is puzzling me. My bike only has about 2600 miles and I only rode it 3-4 times this year (just got it registered last month).

So any suggestion from Guzzi experts would be nice.

Also since Guzzi is not the most popular bike I would love to hear suggestions for a local dealer in New York City or vicinity (relatively speaking).

I know of 2 relatively close dealers. One is Gold Coast but I don't think I can trust them since they are too new and actually just got signed up with MG. I really doubt they will have any clue about it. While back I called them for Tenni parts (was going to buy a damaged one and they didn't even know what it was :homer: ). The other one is Rockwell Cycles. They have good reputation but specialize more in Ducs.

So any suggestion and/or dealer recommendations would be nice.

It's not a ping noise is it{I hope}.

These are my guesses:

If it is ping, did you richen up the mixture since adding those M4's? It could be too lean. And we are most likely getting the 'winter blend' gasoline here in the northeast, which might be affecting your mixture as well.

Or, your front crossover (below the alternator) may be rattling.

As for the tip over valve, you can blow/suck into it when it is vertical to establish if it is working. I mounted mine at the very end of the hose on an existing bracket on my sump.

I hope this helps. I am going to do a little research on winter blends and post back.

Cheers,

Steve

Edit: In short, after some searching, we use Refomulated Fuels (oxygenated) in the Northeast USA winters (starting mid-Sept.) to reduce CO emissions. The typical oxygenate is alcohol based and it leans out the fuel mixture of vehicals with no O2 sensors (like our V11s). So a carburated engine (non-feedback) would run leaner as well.

So if you were borderline on mixture on your V11 this summer, you will be too lean on the oxygenated stuff you most likely just filled up on over Thanksgiving.

If anyone knows otherwise / better please add you comments, I did get this info off the internet!

Guest ratchethack
...The result - I am expteremely pissed. This f*ing valve is still messed up and tank suction is still present. I will be removing that piece of junk completely unless someone can recommend an aftermarket alternative. If anyone removed it then I would appreciate if you can tell me what kind of connector did you use to connect two sides of the hose? I know someone mentioned cooper tubing but will it be Ok? What diameter should I use?

Take it easy, FL. These are very minor, easily fixable little "annoyances" at worst! B)

The Guzzi manual is not correct (or at least misleading) WRT the correct installation of the tipover valve. John Ryland has provided posts and illustrations of the correct orientation and ID of inlet and outlet here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=132990

Your local auto parts shop has vent tubing to match the inside diameter of what's on the bike. Please DO NOT use copper tubing on any part of a motorcycle -- EVER! Copper tubing has the property of becoming brittle (work hardened) when it is repeatedly flexed or bent. On a vibrating motorcycle, copper tubing is a recipe for disaster when used as oil or gas line, but it should never be used even as a vent line. It's not critically important that vent tubing be gas-proof, but it couldn't hurt. Your local shop has exactly wot you need. No clamps are necessary for the vent line or tipover valve, it's a push-on application.

Unfortunately that was not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is some kind of clutter noise. Its actually sounds as a valve noise. It presents itself loudly when I get on the gas. When I roll on the throttle I can hear this noise really loud but when I let the throttle go it comes down. The bike behaved well and the ride was nice but this noise is puzzling me.

I take it that by "clutter noise" you meant "clatter noise"? I'm with Mark and Steve on the very high liklihood of "ping" (aka engine knock, detonation, pre-ignition) -- there are technical differences between these terms, but the symptoms and sound are the same! By your post, it appears that this is a recent development. As Mark and Steve indicated, it's more than likely the quality of the gas you last put in. This is an important thing to get resolved. Extended hard running with the engine pinging on acceleration can (and will) hole the pistons. :o I would siphon out or otherwise dump the old gas and try the highest octane you can find, and expect it to disappear, unless of course, you've got other, far less probable, unexpected things going on. . . :thumbsup:

3rd vote for ping. Especially if your not familiar with it.

Sounds like nuts and bolts in your top end under hard exceleration. Loud.

I suggest you go to World or Raceco specs on the valves too if you haven't.

(search on valve adj. on this forum. It's all there)

With the very low miles I suspect you still have factory specs.

It will start easier and ping less. If your not familiar with working on a bike this

is an excellent time to start.

A new Guzzi is like a new born baby. It needs to be bottle fed for the first

5 or 10Kmi...then it grows up big and strong.

Good luck

I agree with everyone else here that you are describing ping. Before you get too crazy with it, follow RH's advice and change fuel. If the bike has not been used much and the fuel is months old or of questionable quality, buy a tank of name brand premium and see if it goes away.

I will be removing that piece of junk completely unless someone can recommend an aftermarket alternative. If anyone removed it then I would appreciate if you can tell me what kind of connector did you use to connect two sides of the hose? I know someone mentioned cooper tubing but will it be Ok? What diameter should I use?

Took the tip-over off years ago and just replaced the entire drain hose with a longer piece....took all of 5 min to route it once the tank was off. Obviously I'm aware and have accepted the fact that fuel could leak out in a crash.

When my heads were off I showed the heavy carbon build-up to a friend who is an auto mechanic, for an opinion whether I should remove it or not. He said it wasn't that important (Guzziology says the same IIRC because it will probably build up again anyway). But he also told me that sometimes a chip of that carbon can get loose and that will sound like

When my heads were off I showed the heavy carbon build-up to a friend who is an auto mechanic, for an opinion whether I should remove it or not. He said it wasn't that important (Guzziology says the same IIRC because it will probably build up again anyway). But he also told me that sometimes a chip of that carbon can get loose and that will sound like

I haven't changed anything from the factory settings. I was thinking of changing Valve Clearences to World settings and getting to someone good to set up TPS.

With so many replies and most of you with decent Guzzi experience I would tend to agree that its possibly is a ping. I know that we have different gas formulation for the winter times but I didn't think that it would make such a noticeable difference. I only use Premium Grade gas and this time I filled up with Sunoco 93 Octane.

By the way thanks on mentioning that I can get vent hose from autoparts store. I will do that ASAP as well as getting brass (not cooper) male to male hose barb connector

If anyone has good Guzzi shop in mind in 2 hours radius (150 miles) from me I would appreciate to know

As John's Ryland post it looks way different then Guzzi workshop manual

Moto Guzzi Official manual

TankRolloverValve.jpg

John's Placement recommendation

Tipovervalve.jpg