Removing bar end caps

Guest davea

Can someboby guide me through the removal of the bar end caps on my 2002 LeMans? I've tried using a 5 mm allen and found that the allen, cap and what it is attached to are all moving (on both sides). Is there a trick that I am missing? All I want to do is install my new hand grips......

Dave :(

- 2002 MG LeMans

- 2000 Bonneville

- other old japaneesey thingys...

I had to hold the plastic cap with one hand while turning the allen wrench/bolt, as mine turned as one unit as well. I also pulled on the plastic cap as I loosened the bolt, which exposed the real nut that screws into the bar-end. Then you can get a wrench to it and unscrew the whole assembly.

....that's all I remember though as I have Throttlemeisters now.

al

- other old japaneesey thingys...

for those of us who are prone to riding medium-olderr japanese thingies, a bit more specificity would let us know just how eccentric you may be.

Not that it will help get your bar-ends off but just in the interest of comraderie.

I have a couple of Hodaka ACE 90 dirt bikes and one very rare 90 street bike (it even has a speedo nacelle). The street bike is currently being restored. Someday I'll be terrorizing this town on my 6 HP monster....

dave :D

Thanks Al for the confirming what I had suspected. I saw the nut behind the bar cap I just hoped that there was some "trick" that I missed.

regards

dave :D

I used a 2$ tool for this, that I also use on my oil filters for my Transalp: a rubber strap wrench. The strap wrench will help you lock the cap whilst undoing the allen bolt