Greetings From Paris

Alex-Corsa

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky you Alex. I love Paris. I was there in the fall of 2006. Rented an apartment around the corner from Notre Dame. What a great city, not to mention all of the beautiful women strolling about.

Lucky you Alex. I love Paris. I was there in the fall of 2006. Rented an apartment around the corner from Notre Dame. What a great city, not to mention all of the beautiful women strolling about.

You can say that again ! :grin:

you guys must have taken a wrong turn somewhere, and visited some other city. I'm not going back to Paris; bad fooded insulting arrogant tourist trap as it is....

oh, forgot my coffee.....

Anyone remember this childhood ditty?

"There's a place in France

Where the ladies do a dance.

And the dance they do

Costs a dollar fifty-two.

Cause when they turn around,

Their panties all fall down!" :o

Never been to France, but I've always wanted to...ever since my childhood :whistle:

Guest boabcomo

I usually try to hammer straight through France without putting my feet down - makes fuelling-up interesting.

Several bad experiances.

My wife had been bugging me about Paris for a while. After hearing other stories about rudeness and general dislike for Americans, I wasn't too eager.

The complete opposite was true. The entire time I was there I think I had only one surly waiter. The rest of the people were great, and the food & wine were good away from the tourist traps. There were a couple of rather smelly cab drivers, but cabbie funk seems to be a world-wide thing.

I prefer just about anywhere in Italy, and have had good times in England and Spain as well, but I'd still like to see more of France.

With the weak dollar now, I'll probably stick to this side of the pond until things improve.

Come on now, as with any foreign country, if you visit like a hot shot American, expecting everyone to cater to you, you'll get resistance, even rudeness. If you come across as a friendly tourist, speak the native language, even a little, you get friendly in response. How do you treat people who don't speak English over here? Believe it or not, we Americans are no longer considered the saviors of Europe. What happened 50+ years ago is a distant memory. I had a wonderful time in Italy, my daughter and ex had a wonderful time in France and Spain. There will always be isolated cases as mentioned above, but overall, travelling is what you make it. ;) Joe

Oh, my bad, I see the people that don't like France aren't Americans. Well, maybe there's some subtle dynamic going on.

Come on now, as with any foreign country, if you visit like a hot shot American, expecting everyone to cater to you, you'll get resistance, even rudeness. If you come across as a friendly tourist, speak the native language, even a little, you get friendly in response. How do you treat people who don't speak English over here? Believe it or not, we Americans are no longer considered the saviors of Europe. What happened 50+ years ago is a distant memory. I had a wonderful time in Italy, my daughter and ex had a wonderful time in France and Spain. There will always be isolated cases as mentioned above, but overall, travelling is what you make it. ;) Joe

Oh, my bad, I see the people that don't like France aren't Americans. Well, maybe there's some subtle dynamic going on.

Trust me on this one . . . the vast majority of European French still honor America for saving them from the Nazis. Now France has to deal with the Islamo-nazis. They are off to a good start with the recent election of Nicolas Sarkozy.

BTW, I've never been to Paris but I have spent some time in southern France and loved every day.

I also love Italy, Sicily, Spain, Turkey, Argentina, Peru, Brazil, Chile, and Venazuela.

The most beautiful women in the world in order:

1. Italian

2. Venezuelan

3. Spanish

Well, in all fairness I haven't been there for 20 years, but I imagine things are still much the same: residents of Paris, like any other major metropolis, simply haven't got time for the funny furriners who don't speak their language. At the time, the only people I knew who had an unqualifiedly good time in Paris either had friends there who were fluent in French to show them around, or were truly fluent themselves. Me? I had 1 full year of junior-college French under my belt, and couldn't get the time of day out of anyone, except for one truly kind & generous soul who spoke no English whatsoever but went out of her way to try & help my girlfriend & I find our way to the correct arrondisement(?) where our hotel was waiting. Thank you unnamed wonderful gal, from 20 years in the future! :notworthy:

The south of France in summertime is wonderful, except for all the dang student tourists backpacking across Europe cluttering up the place! Oh, wait... ;)

Spain was great, truly friendly people, and you can see why the conquistadors basically stopped exploring once they hit California: they'd traveled 1/2 way round the world & found themselves back home! I had that revelation after spending the winter (coldest once since WWII) in England, visiting a cold&rainy Paris, hopping on the overnight train to Madrid & exiting the underground railway station into beautiful So. Cal. sunshine, only it wasn't So.Cal! :lol: Even better, the residents spoke Spanish the way they taught it to you in high school, not the slang-filled argot that the Mexican kids in school spoke [who didn't want you to learn Spanish anyway, so they could talk about you w/o your knowing what they were saying... <_>

(Northern) Italy was fantastic, Switzerland was super, Norway & Sweden were fabulous, Ireland was fun [except for the idiot drunk smoker who couldn't resist lighting up in the (over)filled (only) non-smoking car on the train, despite all the people telling him to go to the next car or put it out... F!ck you @ssh0le, from 20 years in the future! :moon:]

Wish I had the money to go, & the dollar was still riding as high as it was then [1.60/librum, 7? fr/$1, etc... Things were looking up under Ronnie Raygun! :thumbsup:] -- I'd sell off all my cr@p, chuck this stupid job, fly to Mandello & go on a 6 month walk(ride)about!

:bike: