New project. Not Guzzi related...

Richard Z

Many of you remember the 1972 Suzuki TS185 that my 9 year old son restored last summer.

motorcycle177.jpg

Well, I just bought him another project. He will get it for Christmas. I found it on a regional auction site and thought there was no way my $375.00 bid would get it.. I was wrong..

1973 Suzuki GT250K

gt250.jpg

I almost can't wait to give it to him.

Richard Z.

The GT looks a real beauty, went down to a local accessory shop to get my wife some new riding boots the guy in the shop had 7 or 8 restored GT's on display none of which were for sale. You got a talented boy there I love these classic jap bikes remind me of my youth.

Cheers and goodluck.

Skippy. ;)

Where do you find these things you bastard? :lol:

Look, Your young bloke did a GREAT job on the TS, He should have even more fun on the GT.

HEY IT'S STILL GOT THE 'RAM AIR' SCOOPS!!!!! F*cking BRILLIANT!!!!

While I probably can't help in any real way if he needs anything, parts or whatever, I may still be able to find wreckers that have one or two of these!

RINGA-DINGA-ring-ding-ding-ding-YIP! Oh Shit! It's Just Seized Up!!! :D

Pete

PS. It will still smoke, (Quite literally! :lol: ) Any of the 'Tard-oid Scrogin's Harleys that might belong to the father of the kid who nicked your yopung bloke's award at that show :P

Guest ratchethack
I almost can't wait to give it to him.

OUTSTANDING, Richard. :thumbsup:

He should have a great time with this one too -- not to mention another exceptional opportunity to bond with the lad. . .

Wasn't this bike the direct descendant of the incomparable X-6 Hustler??

Enquiring minds (well, you know. . .)

post-1212-1197215155.jpg

What a great bike, ram air two cycle! Back in the day we used to mess around with the 380's and 550's both very nice machines fast and would rip some great wheelies! Ours soon became equipped with expansion chambers and low bars and what a great sound. He's gonna love it!

Hal

Dude! Wanna 44 year-old son to give these great finds to? I'm available for adoption...

The only things I find locally are clapped out POS's that will require three times their finished value to make them, well, finished.

OUTSTANDING, Richard. :thumbsup:

He should have a great time with this one too -- not to mention another exceptional opportunity to bond with the lad. . .

Wasn't this bike the direct descendant of the incomparable X-6 Hustler??

Enquiring minds (well, you know. . .)

Not direct; a few generations inbetween those. One big advantage the X6 has is that the brakes will work consistently wet or dry. Wet stainless discs of the 1970s induced all sorts of shuddering and squealing - some of which was from the machinery.....

Where do you find these things you bastard? :lol:

Look, Your young bloke did a GREAT job on the TS, He should have even more fun on the GT.

HEY IT'S STILL GOT THE 'RAM AIR' SCOOPS!!!!! F*cking BRILLIANT!!!!

While I probably can't help in any real way if he needs anything, parts or whatever, I may still be able to find wreckers that have one or two of these!

RINGA-DINGA-ring-ding-ding-ding-YIP! Oh Shit! It's Just Seized Up!!! :D

Pete

PS. It will still smoke, (Quite literally! :lol: ) Any of the 'Tard-oid Scrogin's Harleys that might belong to the father of the kid who nicked your yopung bloke's award at that show :P

I hope he like's it as much as I do. It's complete and ran last year with a good title. It's unmolested and should be a great project. I really wanted it for myself, but the boy has been bugging me about doing another project bike.

I still have my 1972 GT750J Lemans aka waterbuffalo, kettle etc. I've owned it 18 years and this little bike will go nicely with it. However, the 250 will get finished way before my 750. I don't haveas much enthusiasm as the boy.

IM000405.jpg

Richard Z.

What a great bike, ram air two cycle! Back in the day we used to mess around with the 380's and 550's both very nice machines fast and would rip some great wheelies! Ours soon became equipped with expansion chambers and low bars and what a great sound. He's gonna love it!

Hal

I'd love to Cafe the GT750 I have but it's too complete to molest it. I love the looks of the bike in your avatar. Makes me want to find an older guzzi to do the same... That bike is cool.

Richard Z.

Guest ratchethack
Not direct; a few generations inbetween those. One big advantage the X6 has is that the brakes will work consistently wet or dry. Wet stainless discs of the 1970s induced all sorts of shuddering and squealing - some of which was from the machinery.....

I can recall when the X-6 motor came out. It was so powerful and "bulletproof" relative to other 250 class motors that guys were even using it for flat-track racing against the singles that dominated. They'd dismantle the pressed-up 180-degree crank and press it back together in a zero-degree layout and re-time the spark, making it into a "twingle". The object was to spread the torque curve and shift it down low, tuning it via porting work and "torque pipe" expansion chambers as a more tractable, less peaky flat-track motor that could get more usable torque to the ground. :oldgit:

I've been looking for another bike for the garage, and always liked those old two strokes. I had an RD-350 and a Kawi H-1 triple back in the day. I would love to find a nice watercooled RZ-350 with chambers and clip ons to put next to the guzzi. Smokin' indeed. Joe

IM000405.jpg

Richard Z.

Oooh, I need one of those! Our mindless overlords in Sacto. have declared all 2-smokes illegal, but I could still register that water buffalo as "grandfathered." And it's big, so even more offensive to the greenies! And it's reliable, which is all I really care about in a commuter bike... ;)

Have fun w/ that project; I just saw a lovely example of one at the local vintage bike gathering last month, & it was truly a nice ride. It kinda got eclipsed by the rideable 1927 Excelsior ["American X" to you Brit bike cognisceti...], but hey, it's all good!