Electric Starter  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Problems....was it..

• Clutch Switch
    • Side Stand
    • Neutral Light
    • Starter Button
    • Terminations under the tank

I own a 2004 V11, When I saw it in the window I had to have it...in went my Yam FJ1200ABS after 12 faithful years and now I am the proud owner of a V11. After a while I started having an intermittent problem with the starter, so I "Googled" my fault! It brought me here....superb! Anyway I have read much about others having my problem and I have deduced it to 5 possible problems. 1. Clutch switch 2. Side Stand switch 3. Neutral light (being a light and not really informing it really could be in gear) 4. Faulty starter button and 5. Connections/terminations under the tank. Can anyone tell me which is the most common fault. Regards, Don. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should add these to the poll:

• Starter relay
  • Solenoid
  • Low battery, that is, an end-of-life battery OR a good battery that doesn't get proper charging for whatever reason. It appears in some cases this is not as obvious as one would think.

But the only problem I've had with the starter was the need of a helicoil for one of its mount points...

What are the symptoms? You can't just tease us like that.

My symptoms are: Turn on ignition, pull in clutch lever, press starter. Nothing happens. The clutch switch clicks etc, its in neutral. However, I did notice yesterday that if I held in the clutch, pressed the starter button and shifted up and down the gear lever it fired. This worked about 7 out of 7. I have some confidence I can take it to be MOT'd, I am worried the testing station will fail it because he can't start it!

Maybe you should add these to the poll:

• Starter relay
  • Solenoid
  • Low battery, that is, an end-of-life battery OR a good battery that doesn't get proper charging for whatever reason. It appears in some cases this is not as obvious as one would think.

But the only problem I've had with the starter was the need of a helicoil for one of its mount points...

Thats being really technical now! Battery one is pretty straight forward, I have experienced that! But Starter Relay and Selonoid....thats flown right above my balding head! ( understand what they are but wouldn't attempt to play with it for fear of making things worse!)

My symptoms are: Turn on ignition, pull in clutch lever, press starter. Nothing happens. The clutch switch clicks etc, its in neutral. However, I did notice yesterday that if I held in the clutch, pressed the starter button and shifted up and down the gear lever it fired. This worked about 7 out of 7. I have some confidence I can take it to be MOT'd, I am worried the testing station will fail it because he can't start it!

Have you tried starting it up with the sidestand up?

Thats being really technical now! Battery one is pretty straight forward, I have experienced that! But Starter Relay and Selonoid....thats flown right above my balding head! ( understand what they are but wouldn't attempt to play with it for fear of making things worse!)

I'm not sure about the starter relay on a V11 but on my Sporti it's just one of four identical relays that sits in sockets under the seat. I think on a V11 you may have three or four identical plus one of another type. An easy test (even without really understanding what you are doing) when having any electrical problem, is to switch all identical relays around. If problem moves, you are on to something.

The solenoid is like a massive relay, built-in to the starter. The starter can draw incredible amounts of current which is why you have to switch it in the solenoid (which in turn is drawn by a smaller relay, the Starter Relay) instead of routing it through the ignition switch and starter button. They would catch fire if they were handling that kind of energy.

From your later description it sounds to me your problem is neither relay or solenoid though.

I'm not sure about the starter relay on a V11 but on my Sporti it's just one of four identical relays that sits in sockets under the seat. I think on a V11 you may have three or four identical plus one of another type. An easy test (even without really understanding what you are doing) when having any electrical problem, is to switch all identical relays around. If problem moves, you are on to something.

The solenoid is like a massive relay, built-in to the starter. The starter can draw incredible amounts of current which is why you have to switch it in the solenoid (which in turn is drawn by a smaller relay, the Starter Relay) instead of routing it through the ignition switch and starter button. They would catch fire if they were handling that kind of energy.

From your later description it sounds to me your problem is neither relay or solenoid though.

I had a similar problem that was solved by jiggling the relays

Sounds interesting. Please explain.

Just look at the image in orangeokie's signature.

That type of jiggling will fix most start up problems :lol:

*Clutch Switch --

Could be. Try holding in starter button and repeatedly activating clutch

*Side Stand --

No, but maybe the side stand switch.

*Neutral Light --

No, but could be the Neutral switch, but only assuming the light does not come on when in neutral. More likely the relay that the switch activates, which is called the side stand relay, even though it is activated by the neutral switch. If side stand is up and bike is in neutral, with neutral light on, and it won't start, it is not the problem. (unless you have more than one problem)

*Starter Button --

Possible, but these are very reliable.

*Terminations under the tank --

That is what I voted for.

Try turning handlebars when starting. A common problem is connections under tank influenced by steering.

But it just as easily could be a relay or battery.

Replacing relays is cheap.

Testing a battery is pretty easy. Let battery sit uncharged overnight, test voltage, note temperature, and note model of battery, tell us and we can give you an idea of its state of charge. Anything less than 80% charged could cause starting problems. A battery charger is one of our most important tools. I recommend getting one recommended by Hawker, but other people get by fine with many other chargers.

Have you tried starting it up with the sidestand up?

I have tried it with the side stand up and down, But I have found holding in the clutch and pressing the starter button and lifting the gears into second, down into first and up into neutral starts the engine leading me to believe there is a problem with a switch/sensor by the gear lever? I have messed with this, up and down...and at the moment (fingers crossed) it starts everytime! Hoooooooorah!

Just look at the image in orangeokie's signature.

That type of jiggling will fix most start up problems :lol:

*Clutch Switch --

Could be. Try holding in starter button and repeatedly activating clutch

*Side Stand --

No, but maybe the side stand switch.

*Neutral Light --

No, but could be the Neutral switch, but only assuming the light does not come on when in neutral. More likely the relay that the switch activates, which is called the side stand relay, even though it is activated by the neutral switch. If side stand is up and bike is in neutral, with neutral light on, and it won't start, it is not the problem. (unless you have more than one problem)

*Starter Button --

Possible, but these are very reliable.

*Terminations under the tank --

That is what I voted for.

Try turning handlebars when starting. A common problem is connections under tank influenced by steering.

But it just as easily could be a relay or battery.

Replacing relays is cheap.

Testing a battery is pretty easy. Let battery sit uncharged overnight, test voltage, note temperature, and note model of battery, tell us and we can give you an idea of its state of charge. Anything less than 80% charged could cause starting problems. A battery charger is one of our most important tools. I recommend getting one recommended by Hawker, but other people get by fine with many other chargers.

Thanks for your reply, but I have found a solution! temporary maybe but it works now, have a read of my reply below?...Thanks.

Thanks for your reply, but I have found a solution! temporary maybe but it works now, have a read of my reply below?...Thanks.

So, are going to just keep jiggling it like Orange Okies animated graphic?

:lol: