Al Roethlisberger

leafman60

Al, if you are ever looking for new duds, I highly recommend the Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket. It comes with a zip out insulated liner and you can get one delivered for about $150. Also, its damn water PROOF. I have tested mine many times. I think its better than the Aerostich, especially in the rain (be sure to always put your rain gloves under the coat sleeves). Amazing for $150.

When I ride in below-freezing weather, I use the windproof Aerostich Kanetsu electric liner instead of the Transition liner. I stay snug as a bug in a rug.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Volvo has to go though. It simply is too much $$ in monthly payments and insurance <_>

Ah. Flog the ovloV, buy a beater to get you thru winter? Just don't want you abusing your beautiful bike riding in the wet, let alone risking your own valuable backside... :)

[Yes, I'm a fair weather rider. At least, I have been ever since my beater GL1200 blew the head gasket & I haven't had time or money to fix it. You want to ride in the rain, get a scooter! There's a reason for the full coverage when your bike is an all-weather ride...] :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NotRight
Al, if you are ever looking for new duds, I highly recommend the Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket. It comes with a zip out insulated liner and you can get one delivered for about $150. Also, its damn water PROOF. I have tested mine many times. I think its better than the Aerostich, especially in the rain (be sure to always put your rain gloves under the coat sleeves). Amazing for $150.

When I ride in below-freezing weather, I use the windproof Aerostich Kanetsu electric liner instead of the Transition liner. I stay snug as a bug in a rug.

I have to back this comment on the Transition 2. I crashed in one and though the left arm fabric was pretty shredded it did protect me very well. Without the jacket I'm sure I'd have had a shattered elbow or arm broken in several spots. The armor did a great job. I had the indication of a bruise from elbow to wrist, but no pain, strange. It was blue-ish and if you hadn't known you'd say I'd fell on it hard.

I can't say how well it goes in the cold on a ride, but I still have the jacket. Because money was a bit tight I bought a roll of Gorilla Tape and wrapped up the crashed area......risky I know if I should crash on the same spot again. I wear it kind of like a winter jacket around town, etc with the zip in liner.

geee......reading this makes me sound like a cheap-arse bearded weirdo.

Hi mr R

Thats a great house! And a nice handful of a project too. I love the radiators under the sink. What a great idea!

You buy the beer and I'll come over and build you a wine cellar in the "jail". :bier: Strictly for north italian wines, off course.

I know now that these projects can stop a Guzzi dead in its tracks, as I'm currently rebuilding an 1800's log farm in the woods of Norway. Its just all consuming together with the carreer struggle.

Because of this I think I rode no more than 150 miles on the bike last summer....

Hope for more rides this year but like you, I'm slowly contemplating the thought of selling the V11, looking for something older and cheaper to own that I can justify just having in my garage.

Like a Laverda 1000 3C.... doh....

Al

That is one heck of a project house.

There is a Guzzi Rally in Virginia end of June in Buena Vista.

That is where you can connect with the Guzzi crew.

Sorry to here about the contract gig ending. I'm in the same boat.

I rebuilt a victorian while working contract. Makes life interesting when your no sure where

the $$$ is going to come from nex month. But you will survive.

As far as the bike Keep It. You won' get enough for it. Then when you want one you won't have the $$$$

Good Luck

Tom in Boston :helmet:

• 4 weeks later...

Good to have you back Al. I have your instructions for removing the gas tank pinned to my garage wall. I just had my Volvo wagon totalled from a rear ender. Funny to think we both have/had V11 and a Volvo wagon. Hang in there man.

Bob

I'm still around.... just checking-in every so often.

Been really busy at work, although the contract ends in about 45 days. And on the weekends, been working on the garage doors.

I still haven't tried the ride to work, but now the weather is pretty nice(has been for weeks). So I should probably give it a go pretty soon.

Al

Guest arbik

Hey Al,

Its been a while. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I tell you, sometimes, life throws you the strangest curve balls, but I'm sure you'll pull through it, comin out better off than you went in. The house looks great by the way.

by the way, what line of work are you in?

-arbi

Hi Al...good to see youre still kickin. I know what you mean about Volvo wagons. My 960 damn near drove me to bankrupcy. Hope it all works out for you.

Come on back to California and I'll buy you a burger at Alice's. ;) And a beer too!

As a replacement I was looking at a high mileage Toyota/Honda type of commuter, but in today's economic climate... apparently everyone else is too. So they are like GOLD.

Funny you say that I just traded in my 99' Acura 2.3 CL that got a solid 29mpg and they gave me 3500 for it, I mean it had 110,000 and the tires were bald and the e-brake was fried as in made a bad squel constantly, it was leaking oil and the AC was going out but 3500, I KNEW something must be up, I saw a lot of similar ones listed for pretty high online but I needed to get rid of it asap as the wife was getting induced and the 2 door with 3 kids was just out of the question, but yup its the milage not the amenities anymore. now I drive a 23mpg ave Subaru Impreza 5door so the Guzzi and Ape are way more economical in the summer now at 35mpg. ^_^

good to see youre still kickin out there.(edit, I didn't read all the posts stoped at the one I qouted but it looks like I ripped someone off, no great minds just think alike)

Al, are you going to the Buena Vista Guzzi rally this year ??? Its not too far from you and I think you'd like it.

Hrmm, looks interesting:

http://www.vaguzzi.com/?a=meets

I don't know though, a lot of things are in uncertain territory right now.

Denise(my wife) found what seemed to be a good job doing the bookkeeping for a local paving company, only to find in the first week of sorting out their mess of bank records.... that they have NO MONEY :huh: She hasn't even been paid yet, so we're hoping that works out. And I did find that my 6 month contract is going to be resubmitted for another 6 months, so that's good news. But there's still no guarantee and I'll still need to keep an eye out for something permanent.

And don't get me started on taxes following the last year of forced savings withdrawals due to the layoff <_>

*sigh*

I'm hoping that some of these things will sort out by summer, so maybe events like that rally might be possible.

It's been an interesting 18 months.

Al

getting laid off is a nasty afair that I've had to go through twice in the last 2 years so I've had about 6 jobs in that ti me and now have come full circle and finally doing better, hopefully I can find a way to keep my guzzi to keep my new Aprilia company, a sensible man would have waited to get some of his bills paid off before buying a new bike and a new car right? well I need room for the family and I'm only young once I got my whole life to pay back the debt I reckon ^_^