Introducing the Exhaust Burger

Guest george in vancouver

Jude and I used to have a book, long lost unfortunately, that was essentially a recipe book for cooking stuff on your car engine. Unfortunately it was American so it contained very little that was edible. (Please note, this was a J O K E and not intended to offend anyone!) It was good fun but got lost in our move. The book was called 'Manifold Destiny' I asked Jude, (Who remembered this.) Who wrote it. Her response was "Some f@cking MAN! No woman would be so stupid!" :D

Pete

Guest george in vancouver
Jude and I used to have a book, long lost unfortunately, that was essentially a recipe book for cooking stuff on your car engine. Unfortunately it was American so it contained very little that was edible. (Please note, this was a J O K E and not intended to offend anyone!) It was good fun but got lost in our move. The book was called 'Manifold Destiny' I asked Jude, (Who remembered this.) Who wrote it. Her response was "Some f@cking MAN! No woman would be so stupid!" :D

Pete

Heh, the whole "while you drive" gestalt goes way further. The veritable acme of same can be found in this book.

Basic caper includes driving a trashed-out Land Rover from Chad to Paris. He does his laundry by putting it in a plastic tub +soap w/ top, setting it on the rear seat and letting the pot-hole bouncing to the agitation. Empty, install clean water (2 cycles), then clip duds to clothes line set up across PVC masts hose clamped to various spots on said Land Rover. Drying time can be adjusted by speed.

This book also includes helpful tips on how to paint your Land Rover with a shop-vac hooked up backwards as well as repairing a headlight bulb filament with a sledge hammer (no s**t). To anybody that's spent some time in Africa, all the local SOP's will be familiar (did a year in Sierra Leone & Liberia flying for the UN).

Pete

You should look again.

http://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Destiny-Gui...e/dp/0375751408

Look at the price......

It's very rare!

But there seem to be new ones on offer! The price of these is even more preposterous. Read the reviews, readers loved it or loathed it. I suspect I would loathe it, and it wouldn't work on the well insulated tiny engined cars we drive here. If you open the bonnet (hood) of my Hyundai, there is no room for a croissant, let alone a full 3 course dinner for 5. Silly.

Mac, I guess rare would apply to the steak as well as the book.

But there seem to be new ones on offer! The price of these is even more preposterous. Read the reviews, readers loved it or loathed it. I suspect I would loathe it, and it wouldn't work on the well insulated tiny engined cars we drive here. If you open the bonnet (hood) of my Hyundai, there is no room for a croissant, let alone a full 3 course dinner for 5. Silly.

Mac, I guess rare would apply to the steak as well as the book.

You got my point eventually nothing to do with books, cooking burgers.

WHY is it so inordinately expensive?????? :huh:

It's OOP.

I just sold my copy of the von Hoffman brothers' Big Damn Book of Sheer Manliness for $75 [others on Amazon listed at $90+; I needed the money fast] which was about 2x what I paid for it 3 years & 2 moves ago [haven't looked at it since before the 1st move], & I paid a 1.5x premium over its original list price to get it at the time.

Some books are just worth more than others, y'know? That's why even w/ the dollar in the sh!tter vs. the euro/lb-sterling/anything, I'm still considering shelling out the ducats to get a current reprint of Ricardo's The Internal Combustion Engine sent over from the UK. There just aren't any copies running round loose over here... ;)

... it wouldn't work on the well insulated tiny engined cars we drive here. If you open the bonnet (hood) of my Hyundai, there is no room for a croissant, let alone a full 3 course dinner for 5. Silly.

Actually, you just need to drill a couple holes in that shiny aluminum plate w/ "Danger! Hot!" stamped in its surface for the soft iron wire to strap stuff to it. That's the exhaust manifold heat shield; it's conveniently placed in the *only* available open space under the bonnet, which is part of why the service manuals always say "With a cold engine, start by..." for the instructions on how to change the spark plugs... ;)

HTH

:thumbsup: