Best oil for cold weather applications?

al_roethlisberger

OK, please, not another "oil thread" in the sense that I'm asking who makes the "best oil" :rolleyes:

But I am curious what experience some of you have with running the bike in Winter temps, say 20-50F, and if another weight oil has worked out better than another.

Thanks!

Al

If you go with Mobil 1 make sure it's their V twin product which has more ZDDP that their auto oil. Lack of ZDDP will decrease cam life. Do a search here for ZDDP to see why this is important.

At those temps I'd run Shell synthetic Rotella 5-40. Nice and cheap a Wally world and adequate ZDDP (I think).

Let me have it boys...

fireSuit3.jpg

Who mentioned the O word, less of it or we will get in trouble with some scientific babble or GW topic

don't mention those book burning topics around here, don't make me censor you!! :lol:

My Redline(forget the weight now, damn) has worked great in the hot or the cold, The bike starts easy and runs great no matter the temp.

Dunno what the hell are you talking about???

Mobil 1 diesel oil for my baby! We are getting brute! :thing:

This is what I'm talking about: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...win_20W-50.aspx It contains ZDDP according to their MSDS which I've read is beneficial for flat tappet engines like ours.

Automotive 15-50 Mobil 1 no longer has any ZDDP in it per their MSDS here: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO..._1_15W-50_.aspx

I don't see a 15-50 diesel oil on the Mobil 1 site Antonio, just 5-40.

IMO in the winter you want a low "W" rating as poss, maybe a 5W, you can get 0W, but I don't think they are really bike oils. In very cold weather a thinner oil could make the difference between the starter turning the engine and there being enough spare juice to light 'er up, and not. I would think a 40 oil hot should be ok in cold weather, though in summer traffic where the engine is getting really toasted a 50 or a 60 might be better.

I think I might worry about the gearbox oil - does RLSH get too thick in freezing conditions?

You do realise that in only a few years winter won't exist, and we will be able to run straight 50 oil all year round whilst battling through continuous hurricanes and flood water.

Guest ratchethack
You do realise that in only a few years winter won't exist, and we will be able to run straight 50 oil all year round whilst battling through continuous hurricanes and flood water.

I do b'lieve your penchant for flirting with danger exceeds even mine, Nog. :o

OK, please, not another "oil thread" in the sense that I'm asking who makes the "best oil" :rolleyes:

But I am curious what experience some of you have with running the bike in Winter temps, say 20-50F, and if another weight oil has worked out better than another.

Thanks!

Al

Castrol 10/40 (non-synthetic) in winter, 20/50 in summer. No idea if it makes any difference.

Gio