Relays: New alternative available

Ryland3210

Any chance that you could set up your site to accept Paypal? Payment is instantaneous and guys like me who don't like to write checks could just click and buy. I know you'd sell at least one more set of relays and maybe an oil pressure gauge. ^_^

It's a good suggestion.

For things like that I have to pay for a guru/geek, because I've never been interested in website construction.

I think setting up a credit card acceptance system is easier, or so I've heard. How would you feel about that?

Of course money orders are OK as well as checks.

regards, John

You could have a personal paypal account and transactions could be made with a credit card or paypal transfer. Its really simple and makes life a lot easier. I have used paypal for years and often its one one of the first things I look for when buying something. There are fees involved but they are relatively small, but the convienience IMHO is worth it. I have yet to send for my relays but i will when I get the chance (if you had paypal I could do it right now)

Hal

Gosh, I seem to be giving away the store at $8! My cost has just gone up by $.52. I may have to increase prices, unless I can buy in greater quantities.

Your price is very competitive if Cdn pricing is taken as the standard. Unfortunately, Cdn pricing in all manner of products [ motorcycles and accessories especially] is extremely high. You should keep your price the same I think, as it is 10% higher than other sources I've found.

Steve

You could have a personal paypal account and transactions could be made with a credit card or paypal transfer. Its really simple and makes life a lot easier. I have used paypal for years and often its one one of the first things I look for when buying something. There are fees involved but they are relatively small, but the convienience IMHO is worth it. I have yet to send for my relays but i will when I get the chance (if you had paypal I could do it right now)

Hal

Exactly. I have a small business and I invoice my customers by email, then they send the money into my paypal account. It's easy and convenient for seller and buyer. When someone can see a product and click to buy instead of filling out a check, finding a stamp, addressing the envelope, and getting it mailed I bet lots of potential sales vaporize (in any business). Just go to paypal.com and follow the directions. Takes 10 minutes and you're done.

I'm ready to ship Omron high reliability relays!

The first bulk order will be placed tomorrow, Feb. 4th, so let me know by early morning if you want to be included in this batch. I have to order in bulk to keep costs down.

I'm happy to say I have Dan Pruneske's blessing. I didn't want to interfere with his livelihood, so I offered to supply him as an exclusive distributor. Dan declined because he does not want to add to his retail business. He even offered to set up a link to www.motratech.com once I post descriptions on that website. He's doing very well in CE consulting, and does not wish to expand his retail business. On top of that, he has plenty of outside activities.

Interestingly, Dan's view on specs is pretty sceptical. He gave me no pushback on the relay comparison I did. He feels manufacturers can put out any specs they want. In my case, I believe Japanese and U.S. makers are more credible than the notorious Chinese. These are made by Omron in the U.S.

My introductory pricing is $8 for the sealed version and $5 for the unsealed for my friends on this forum that have been waiting patiently. I can only offer the SPDT version, which will work in all positions. This is basically at my cost. If volume builds, I'll keep the prices at that level. If not, I will consider raising prices later on. Introductory shipping and packing cost will be $5.00 within the domestic U.S. regardless of quantity, because I can fit lots of them in the US Postal Service mailer.

For details, see my test report below. For any other questions, send me a PM.

Please send check or money order payable to Matra Inc., addressed to:

John Mickowski

50 Walling Road

Warwick, NY 10990

Remember to include your shipping address and how many of each type you want

Thanks for your patience.

Test report, January, 2008

by: J. Mickowski, B.Eng. MS Computer Science :nerd:

Analysis: The construction of the GEI AR4-1 relay was compared to the Omron G8HN equivalent, and a vibration test was conducted to determine whether either exhibited contact bounce.

Both of the relays passed the vibration test. Neither relay showed any contact bounce over the frequency range for equivalent RPM's from 1,000 up to 10,000. The NC contact remained in contact throughout the test for both relays.

The construction comparison is as follows:

_Brand: _____________ GEI ________ Omron

Moving contact mat.___ Silver alloy____Silver alloy

NC contact mat._______Copper________Silver alloy

NO contact mat._______Copper________Silver alloy

Moving contact dia.____0.085/0.083”___0.099/0.098”

Terminal material______Plated Brass____Plated Copper

The magnetic coils appeared almost identical. The Omron coil appeared to contain more copper. Both had inductive voltage spike suppression resistors.

The thermal conduction path for contact heat was better for the Omron, as it used heavier cross section conductors for the contacts through to the terminals, especially on the NO contact, which is used for starting. The additional 1 gram weight of the Omrons is consistent with this.

In comparing the manufacturer’s specifications, the Omron is rated higher than the GEI in every category except steady load current. These include inrush current, maximum initial contact voltage, high frequency vibration, and operating temperature.

Omron also includes reliability testing specifications, shock, humidity, inductive load reliability, and overload inrush testing at 100 amp and 20 amp steady load to 300,000 cycles. GEI does not provide corresponding specifications.

Conclusion: The GEI is rated at 25 amps for the NO contact and 20 amps for the NC, whereas the Omron is rated at 20 and 10 respectively. In my opinion, there is no basis for the higher contact ratings claimed by GEI. If anything, they should be lower than Omron's ratings when based on the same objective criteria. In further support of this, the inrush current capacity of the NO contact specified by GEI is 25 amps, as compared to 60 specified by Omron.

John, are these the "G8HN-1C2T-R-DC12 standard SPDT type"?

Thanks,

Paul

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Another option is Digikey

www.digikey.com part No G8HN-1C2T-R-DC12  Omrons

I buy a lot of parts from them

The latest batch I purchased were made in Italy, your Guzzis gota like that :grin:

I think Pyro Dan still has the best price.

G8HN-1C2T-R-DC12  Omrons

+1 on the OMRON relays. And +1 on pyrodan - he's an excellent guy and his service to the Guzzi community ought to earn him a medal. Or a grappa. :mg:

I remember when he moved on from the Bosch to the GEI. Maybe, at some point, he'll go to the OMRON.

I don't think he ever supplied TYCOs. Those, and the Siemans, are the bottom of the heap.