Timing Gears

turo

Hey Folks,

I see that the www.corsaitaliana.com web site has timing gears listed for sale, any one have any information regarding;

a) is this a worthwhile mod,

B) what are the advantages,

c) what are the disadvantages

d) will these fit in my 1100i

Thanks everyone

-john

Hey Folks,

I see that the www.corsaitaliana.com web site has timing gears listed for sale, any one have any information regarding;

a) is this a worthwhile mod,

B) what are the advantages,

c) what are the disadvantages

d) will these fit in my 1100i

Thanks everyone

-john

A - Not for most users.

B - Greater cam timing accuracy [only likely to be relevant at redline rpm.]

C - Unnecessary expense. Poor design (aluminum gears) leading to engine failure. More difficult wrenching.

D - Yes.

:luigi:

A - Not for most users.

B - Greater cam timing accuracy [only likely to be relevant at redline rpm.

C - Unnecessary expense. Poor design (aluminum gears) leading to engine failure. More difficult wrenching.

D - Yes.

:luigi:

I'd be very careful in checking 'D'. Most sets of timing gears are designed for the earlier, pre FI bikes and do NOT have the depth removed from the back of the cam gear to cope with the phonic wheel. Now it *may* be that someone has started manufacturing a suitable set for later machines but I personally would rather stick red hot pins in my scrotum than have any set of Alloy timing gears in any motor of mine.

Every time I enter a debate on this subject it end up with me being abused by some prat with a personality problem so I'm NOT going to debate it again. I will STATE though that I've seen and removed many, many sets from many different manufacturers that have failed in service. Yes, I know that there are many people who have had, or think they've had, excellent service from some of the gear trains but these have rarely been inspected after installation and a period in service. That's fine but I still refuse to install them in any motor I work on and will remove them if they appear to be damaged and they ALWAYS are IMHO.

Pete

Still don't know why nobody makes them in steel, expense I suppose

Yup. Aluminum is a poor choice for gears [frets itself]; it would make more sense to make them out of bronze or a combo of aluminum/delrin or some type of thermoset resin than the Al/Al sets available. That's just a sign of poor engineering.

Of course, steel would be ideal, but it comes at a higher cost. Hence the factory's decision to switch to chain drive back in the 70s, when costs were still cheap compared to today! ;)

Doug Lofgren,master tuner, told me that BMW's went through the same scenario when fitted with aluminum timing gears. Some lived, most filled the sludge tube with aluminum, although I have no personal knowledge of those, I thought it was interesting.

I'd be very careful in checking 'D'. Most sets of timing gears are designed for the earlier, pre FI bikes and do NOT have the depth removed from the back of the cam gear to cope with the phonic wheel. Now it *may* be that someone has started manufacturing a suitable set for later machines but I personally would rather stick red hot pins in my scrotum than have any set of Alloy timing gears in any motor of mine.

Pete

Speaking of gears are you still doing occasional limited runs of verinerable steel gears? Yes I know they are only worthwhile for silly cams but I'm collecting bits for the sport for when it requires a birthday I haven't worked out cams or anything yet.

Speaking of gears are you still doing occasional limited runs of verinerable steel gears?

It's interesting how in the size font the board seems to default to in my browser, "vernierable" looks so much like "venerable" and the combo of "venerable steel gears" makes them sound worthy but almost impossible to find, like the holy grail of Guzzidom or something!

:lol:

V7 Sport good timing gears made of steel but don't fit later cranks. Still don't know why nobody makes them in steel, expense I suppose

I would be careful with V7 Sport timing gears.

The big cam gear is more likely cast iron than steel an is not the stoutest. A Pal suffered a complete engine rebuild on his V7S due to a timing gear failure. The absence of an oil filter distributes the grind in every corner and bearing of the engine.

I keep this observed on mine.

But there is one real advantage on timing gears:

The effort to adjust the cam timing right is very much reduced with the gars: these gears always have 5 location holes for the cam pin and can be adjusted very accurate. Every adjustment only requieres unscrewing the cam gear instead of pulling the complete timing gears together with the chain which can be a real pain if you have to do it many times until the timing is correct.

V7 Sport good timing gears made of steel but don't fit later cranks. Still don't know why nobody makes them in steel, expense I suppose

Steel gears for big block Tontis

joestiminggearslj4.jpg

Limited run commissioned by a GB Guzzi Club member. Pricey? Well maybe, but compared to ally gearsets, a shagged engine and having Pete on your back everytime you mention them :lol: No! All spoken for I believe.

GJ

• 1 month later...
Guest aironepony
Steel gears for big block Tontis

joestiminggearslj4.jpg

Limited run commissioned by a GB Guzzi Club member. Pricey? Well maybe, but compared to ally gearsets, a shagged engine and having Pete on your back everytime you mention them :lol: No! All spoken for I believe.

GJ

Got some of these beauties in my Round Barrel Racer....nearly ready to run....... :D