My Newly Acquired Rosso Mandello

Scotch

Scotch:

Did you clean those brake assemblies well before reinstalling when you check the brake pads? The rear brake assembly has a tendency to drag when dirty...

:mg:

Thanks Tracey,

I did NOT clean them well enough. I was concentrating on getting my new tires mounted and Flush-Bleeding the fluids and checking that there was enough pads left and making sure I had the correct torques for the bolts to go back together and double checking that I didn't get newton meters mixed up with foot pounds.

And they are dragging a little bit right now. I am going to pop them off and give them a good cleaning.....um.....pretty soon :rolleyes:

Scott

If you're really looking for stuff to give TLC, check the bevel box RH outer bearing. It's a weak little needle bearing without much protection from water. Clean and grease at every opportunity.

If you're really looking for stuff to give TLC, check the bevel box RH outer bearing. It's a weak little needle bearing without much protection from water. Clean and grease at every opportunity.

Ok, Raz - thats the kind of stuff I am looking for. I have NOT turned up any of that in my "research" so far.

Are there any tricks involved here?

When I just had my rear tire off, I left enough spindle in the RH side to hold up the bevel box so I would not have to support it (per manual and this forum), so I didnt study that side of it at all. I do want to get back in there and try for those THREE grease spots. Two of which I have not seen yet!

B)

Can you give me a brief outline of what is involved? :D

Scott

Ok, Raz - thats the kind of stuff I am looking for. I have NOT turned up any of that in my "research" so far.

When I just had my rear tire off, I left enough spindle in the RH side to hold up the bevel box so I would not have to support it (per manual and this forum), so I didnt study that side of it at all. I do want to get back in there and try for those THREE grease spots. Two of which I have not seen yet!

B)

Scott

To remove the bevelbox from the bike I think you just have to disconnect the torque rod from it (and take the wheel off of course) and pull it rearwards off the rest of the shaft.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=21056 second pic is the bearing I meant. Very prone to rust and failure. You can reach it (even for replacing) from the outside.

If you need to replace it (mine was just rust and trash) don't buy a ridiculously priced OEM but find a standard HK 2516-2RS. The inner race is sold separately, IRZ 20x25x18.

Another thread on bevel box: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9794

Got a Workshop Manual? Downloadable for free in various places. Also, use the forum's search function, this site holds huge amounts of great information.

B)

Scott

One trick I've found for supporting the bevel box when removing the wheel is some twine.

Just tie the torque rod tightly to the swingarm before you take the wheel off.

Another thing people have had trouble with is the bearings in the rear wheels as well. It wouldnt hurt to give them a shot of grease every year as well, front & back.

To remove the bevelbox from the bike I think you just have to disconnect the torque rod from it (and take the wheel off of course) and pull it rearwards off the rest of the shaft.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=21056 second pic is the bearing I meant. Very prone to rust and failure. You can reach it (even for replacing) from the outside.

If you need to replace it (mine was just rust and trash) don't buy a ridiculously priced OEM but find a standard HK 2516-2RS. The inner race is sold separately, IRZ 20x25x18.

Another thread on bevel box: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9794

Got a Workshop Manual? Downloadable for free in various places. Also, use the forum's search function, this site holds huge amounts of great information.

Thanks for the info, Raz.

I'll have a go at that in a day or so (cold as a witch's appendage in a brass undergarment in the garage today).

I have the parts manual, the shop manual and this website loaded on my laptop. ;)

My buddy, Wick has loaned me his printed copy of the shop manual lying across my kitchen table. :P

And Guzziology is about to break the legs off of my nightstand! :o

I have been STUDYING! :nerd: