To plug or not to plug that is the question

ALdad

I need opinions please. Twice in the past 4 yrs I have picked up a small finnishing nail on a new rear tire, I mean new 200-400 mi. Many places will not fix a sport radial. Say it's not safe. What do you all think. Here are the paramaters.#1 very low mi. #2 small object. #3 puncture within 1.5 in. of center. #4 Diablo or other high quatity radial tire. #5 not a track bike but occasional 100mph not out of the ordinary. The last time I got a new one, but the poked tire is still hanging on my wall. I am ready for a new shoe what do I do??. :unsure: One other question how important is it to run matched tires. What if I ran a diablo front and a cheaper dunlop rear?

I have the worst luck picking up nails on new back tires. The last two tires I have had got puntured when new. My buddy & forum member Tracey plugged the hole both times & I rode the bike the life of the tire both times with no problems.

It is extremely common to find that the very guys who will not fix the holes in your radials will pull them out of the bone pile and run them on their own bikes after they have fitted new radials to your bike. At our shop, we will plug the tires. Still, many people opt to change to new tires, so there's always a decent supply of once-plugged tires for all the shop guys's bikes.

Finishing nail is a tiny hole, and you have the tire off the wheel- why plug it? patch it from inside and party on. I don't think you have done enough damage with that tiny nail to render the tire unfit for use.

I am a little squeamish about using a tire that has had a bigger nail, and especially if it went near the sidewall. To each their own, I guess. But for what you described, I'd patch it and go.

This was discussed this time last year and a few interesting comments were raised

my recommendation was Ultraseal

This time last year I picked up a puncture on a set of Avons with only 500 miles on them. Took about 7 miles of riding to drop to about 15psi. Limped from air line to air line to my local bike mechanic. We put Ultraseal in it, blew it up and took it for a spin. No problems. A bit arse about face in application but it worked.

Later in Scotland I got another puncture, the Ultraseal couldn't quite hold it - a small split - but with a get you home road side kit was able to plug it. Held, probably a combination of the two products working together. Was supposed only to be good for 40 miles at 40mph, but held for over 400miles till got home at normal speeds.

I agree with Ratchet on why it's always the rear.

If it's a new tyre and a small nail I'd try the Ultraseal ( they say up to 6mm dia), a do it yourself fix. If you change your own tyres opens up the opportunity to plug from the inside. Otherwise you're having to add in cost of having some one do it for you and then you're in the realms of a new tyre

Unless you go for a new tyre you will always have some doubts in the back of your mind until your fix lasts out the life of the tyre and only then will you trust that method. A complex algorithm of cost/life of tyre/confidence.

I put Ultraseal in my next set of tyres and will do again.

Will you still be on this set of tyres when you come to Scotland?

In short you pay your money you make your choice

NB the links weren't provided as a slap down for not doing a search. I think it's valid that the same questions get repeatedly asked, keeps the board ticking over and gives the chance for new perspectives and the answer may even have changed.

I quoted my answer as it was a very good answer and those too lazy/not bothered to follow the links would get to see it :lol:

I need opinions please. Twice in the past 4 yrs I have picked up a small finnishing nail on a new rear tire, I mean new 200-400 mi. Many places will not fix a sport radial. Say it's not safe. What do you all think. Here are the paramaters.#1 very low mi. #2 small object. #3 puncture within 1.5 in. of center. #4 Diablo or other high quatity radial tire. #5 not a track bike but occasional 100mph not out of the ordinary. The last time I got a new one, but the poked tire is still hanging on my wall. I am ready for a new shoe what do I do??. :unsure: One other question how important is it to run matched tires. What if I ran a diablo front and a cheaper dunlop rear?

The general rule of thumb is that plugs are o.k. center tread [as in your description.] Deduct one speed rating per plug, ie: that "Z" rated tire is now V rated; get another it's H, 3rd time's a charm S rated [but by that time I'd be scouting for the frickin' contractor who can't keep his nails inside his truck or look for some biker-hating loser who's salting the roads in my neighborhood...]

Seriously, new tires have a magnetism for nails, and if we all replaced that brand new skin w/ another every time that happened, the tire companies would be very happy, but nobody could afford to ride anymore! Seriously, new car tires come w/ road hazard warrantees, why don't ours? It's a conspiracy... <_>

Best of luck, but if I were you, I'd plug it & run it. As someone else pointed out, since you've already got the tire off the rim, you can do a proper vulcanized patch from the inside, which is even better than a plug! Normally, the labor cost of pulling the tire off, patching & reinstalling is so high that you might as well replace at that point, hence the appeal of plugging w/ the tire still on the rim [gummy worms are my friend!], but a patch is preferable to a plug, when practical as in your situation.

As far as front tires go, I think it's probably safer to replace: sooo much on a motorcycle depends upon that front wheel! But then, I've never heard of a simple puncture on the front tire; they seem to pick up the nails & fling'em at the rear! Blowouts, lacerations of the tread or sidewall yes: but simple punctures of the front? None that I've heard... :huh2:

Not an expert opinion, just something else that may boost the "fix it" side of the story. Check this out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.ph...mp;postcount=10

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.ph...mp;postcount=44

As Greg said, most shops won't repair mc tires, and tire mfgs always say to replace a tubeless tire after a puncture. Liability this side of the pond may be the bigger issue here.